CBS - Rookies who will make a leap, Pollard mentioned

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Let’s cut a top running back and start a guy who has never started at rb!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I think he's a great backup but I wouldn't give him 25-30 carries a game.

Go have a look at most of the “elite” tailbacks.. They aren’t getting 25-30 carries either.

Kamara is always the best guy to use as an example imo because they are similar.

A lot of these guys are getting 15-18 carries.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I like Pollard but I am not as excited as some others on him. He hasn't shown me more than being a change of pace guy to Zeke. Zoners tend to fall in love with the new guys.

And Pollard picked up a chunk of his yardage in the infamous "garbagetime" mode we've been hearing so much about recently.
:hammer:you wont convince the Zeke haters aka trolls they believe zeke is overrated and a volume back that only runs inside..thats not what I saw as he led all backs in the nfl with first half yards and he many times at seasons end stretched the defense wide and made hard cutbacks to the inside.. his drop off from 2016 is so overblown.. so he doesnt look as fast but hes every bit productive..in a year where they TRIED to make Dak the focus and threw a ton more Zeke still finished with very good numbers and is still game planned for yet finds a way to stay relative..

sure any back can do it says some trolls lol:facepalm::popcorn:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Go have a look at most of the “elite” tailbacks.. They aren’t getting 25-30 carries either.

Kamara is always the best guy to use as an example imo because they are similar.

A lot of these guys are getting 15-18 carries.
If they getting 15-18 carries then they aren’t elite. I need that guy I can give 30 carries in the playoffs to. Kamara is a different back. He took a step back last year. I think he’s better in doses especially if he’s going to be in the receiving game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they getting 15-18 carries then they aren’t elite. I need that guy I can give 30 carries in the playoffs to. Kamara is a different back. He took a step back last year. I think he’s better in doses especially if he’s going to be in the receiving game.

Zeke isn’t elite?

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...=RUSHING&opp=0&sort=2&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

BTW, you really do not need an elite back.. We have one and it got us to 8-8.. Elite backs are overrated on this forum cause 90s.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
if our coaches can use any player or rookie effectively, we are in good shape.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I feel like I'm being grouped in with the Zeke haters and the irrational love for Pollard people just because I posted this.

I just think he's a damn fine compliment to Zeke and I believe we'll get better per-snap production and longevity from the RB group if we utilize Pollard more often and in more creative ways.

Pollard barely saw action in the first half all season long and then he'd get told to do his best Zeke-up-the-middle impression in the 3rd quarter.

We can do so much better with this talented kid.

I never said he was an NFL elite RB or that he could replace Zeke. I do think he's got the potential to be about the best RB2 in the league though. Zeke and Pollard could be a hell of a duo for years to come under MM and KM.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I am fine with getting rid of tavon. This kid can do everything but return pants for now and it is not as obvious when tavon is in the game. I want tavon gone he is a bad 1trick pony.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is the full article:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...eap-in-year-2-including-predictions-and-more/

Here is the entry on Pollard:

I've been saying since training camp last year that he needed to be involved and I got roasted for asking more touches to go his way in multiple threads I started on the subject in weeks 1 -4 last season.

So naturally I agree with the author here. Looking very forward to what MM & KM do with the Zeke/Pollard tandem.

Pollard was good on offense. The games he played the most correlate directly with the games they won.

Kick Returns are rare and he was not a punt returner in college.

By far his best skill in college was catching passes in the flat or behind the line and instantly accelerating downfield. His ability to look back, catch the ball and then accelerate downfield was as good as I've seen.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Pollard was good on offense. The games he played the most correlate directly with the games they won.

Kick Returns are rare and he was not a punt returner in college.

By far his best skill in college was catching passes in the flat or behind the line and instantly accelerating downfield. His ability to look back, catch the ball and then accelerate downfield was as good as I've seen.

The games he played the most was because we were up big.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I am intrigued to see what a new coaching staff can do with Pollard.

I hope they view him as a weapon as opposed to a breather for Elliott.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I like Pollard but I am not as excited as some others on him. He hasn't shown me more than being a change of pace guy to Zeke. Zoners tend to fall in love with the new guys.

And Pollard picked up a chunk of his yardage in the infamous "garbagetime" mode we've been hearing so much about recently.

Pollard may have played well when we had a lead but he also had his moments in the first half of games where he stood out. As a running back he has grit, good vision and accelerates impressively. His athletic ability reminds me of Gallup. Amazing balance and calmness under pressure. Outstanding draft pick - in the 4th round no less.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
:hammer:you wont convince the Zeke haters aka trolls they believe zeke is overrated and a volume back that only runs inside..thats not what I saw as he led all backs in the nfl with first half yards and he many times at seasons end stretched the defense wide and made hard cutbacks to the inside.. his drop off from 2016 is so overblown.. so he doesnt look as fast but hes every bit productive..in a year where they TRIED to make Dak the focus and threw a ton more Zeke still finished with very good numbers and is still game planned for yet finds a way to stay relative..

sure any back can do it says some trolls lol:facepalm::popcorn:
Zeke peaked his rookie year. I can only imagine how good he would be if he actually improved.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

WRONG.

Do these look like "garbage yards"??? Look at the game time clock on those plays.

Even on those fewer plays where Pollard actually runs late in the game during so-called "garbage time", can you imagine how more productive our offense would be to use Pollard much more early and often throughout games, than giving most of the carries to a slower and less productive Zeke?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WRONG.

Do these look like "garbage yards"??? Look at the game time clock on those plays.

Even on those fewer plays where Pollard actually runs late in the game during so-called "garbage time", can you imagine how more productive our offense would be to use Pollard much more early and often throughout games, than giving most of the carries to a slower and less productive Zeke?

Looks like Gale Sayers to me. Maybe with a dash of Marshall Faulk.

Little Jr

Reaction score
WRONG.

50% of his yards did come in the 4th qt, but garbage time for a RB is different than it is for a QB. QB gets garbage time yards because they are behind and the D is letting them have a lot yards with underneath stuff because they are playing the clock as much as they are playing you. For a RB garbage time is when you have the lead and trying to run out the clock and the D knows you are trying to run. Pollard avg 6.5 ypc in the 4th with defenses knowing we were trying to run out the clock. He only had 8 carries with 4min or less with the lead and he avg 8,5 ypc on those plays.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If Zeke comes in out of shape, start Pollard, he a step quicker anyway. But yeah, Mike will expand his role anyway.
The man's making millions to play. Jerry's not going to let him sit on the bench while watching them start Pollard. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever!