Cedrick might have blown it (fake punt)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by movaughn88, Nov 26, 2020.

1. LucaBrasi

LucaBrasi Sleeps with the fishes Zone Supporter

4,947 Messages
    5,790 Likes Received
    Trying to defend the coaching today would be ludicrous. As crazy as that decision was, I think it was set up perfectly. Wilson, for whatever reason, did not throw the ball to Goodwin, and he was so open he could have punted it to him.

2. ThatJerryKid

ThatJerryKid cowboys31

1,526 Messages
    3,416 Likes Received
    29 is WIDE open for a touchdown,

3. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

12,635 Messages
    18,540 Likes Received
    From a former college qb I'd expect him to be able to hit a wide open, by 10 freaking yards receiver for a 25 yard pass. He either had no business running that play or didn't know the play in the first place. MM and his goofball staff deserve the criticism they are getting.

4. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

14,748 Messages
    15,793 Likes Received
    You can only blame the coaching for so much. There's just too many factors that contributed to the suckage.

movaughn88 likes this.
  5. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

12,471 Messages
    6,455 Likes Received
    Bad decision to go for it...but the play would have worked if it was a pass. However, I'm not sure that is something you try when I'm sure they didn't have much time in practice to go over it this week.

Parcells4Life likes this.
  6. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

5,663 Messages
    6,701 Likes Received
    It was suppose to be a pass, but no one told Wilson. He never looked downfield, nor did he set his feet to throw.

And you are right, the blockers intentionally stayed behind the line of scrimmage. But not having guys on the same page, is bad coaching. IMO.

Swagger and Boyzmamacita like this.
  7. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

5,032 Messages
    6,040 Likes Received
    I'm not going to expect a WR to hit a pass 30 yards downfield while running for his life.

Dale likes this.
  8. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

18,406 Messages
    22,560 Likes Received
    The play calling and poor HC decisions were the most plentiful I can recall in a Cowboys game. :facepalm:

At least several were beyond ridiculous. My confidence in this offensive coaching is fading badly. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  9. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

7,179 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Bingo. This is the inherent risk of asking putting non-QBs in QB situations.

They're awesome highlight-reel plays when they work. But you run high risk of botched exchanges, bad reads, rushed throws, etc.

10. cern

cern Well-Known Member

14,889 Messages
    21,013 Likes Received
    It was a horrible call.

11. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Well-Known Member

12,203 Messages
    18,507 Likes Received
    Its even worse on the coaching if he was supposed to throw it and he looked like throwing wasnt even an option.

Swagger likes this.
  12. SportsGuru80

SportsGuru80 CowboysYanksLakers

8,184 Messages
    4,086 Likes Received
    Wilson is horrible at gadget plays SMFH

13. Mk2_Cowboys

Mk2_Cowboys Well-Known Member

922 Messages
    1,380 Likes Received
    It was 4th and 10 deep in cowboys’ territory in a 4 point game . It was a terrible call and blew up the game completely sucking all emotion out of the team.

Swagger likes this.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

81,713 Messages
    59,049 Likes Received
    Bad decision + poor execution = disaster

The Cowboys look like Keystone cops sometimes.

Swagger likes this.
  15. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

16,638 Messages
    14,417 Likes Received
    The play worked beautifully. It was a clear win once 25 chose to follow 20. That left it 3 Cowboys on 32 and 47 on the entire right side of the field.

When Cedrick is on the left hash, the play was clearly a win. Nobody within 10 yards of 29, and he could just slant to the sidelines to keep it that way. No one within 15 yards of Wilson at that point.

Once 47 committed to containing Wilson, it was 2 receivers wide open with only 32 to even attempt to cover them right of the hash. It was time to throw the ball.

Cedrick just blew it.

windward likes this.
  16. buybuydandavis

16,638 Messages
    14,417 Likes Received
    Not counting the out of picture punt returner, it's a minimum 30 yard play.

17. buybuydandavis

16,638 Messages
    14,417 Likes Received
    Once 47 committed to contain, 32 is the only one to over 29 and 1. Both were wide open, but at least of of them was sure to be.

18. buybuydandavis

16,638 Messages
    14,417 Likes Received
    Cedrick threw that cross field kickoff return gimmick the previous game. 29 was wide open running away from defenders with 15 yards of separation. You don't even need a former QB to complete that pass. Probably most of the players on the team could have done it.

19. buybuydandavis

16,638 Messages
    14,417 Likes Received
    25 loses any leverage on 29 when Cedrick is midfield. He *might* have been able to help the punt returner, but it's a 30 yard gain minimum, possible TD.

I like it. We're behind and punting with time running down. Play worked perfectly as drawn up, and should have gone for a massive gain at minimum, reasonable chance at a 75 yard TD.

Cedrick just blew it.

ThatJerryKid likes this.
  20. buybuydandavis

16,638 Messages
    14,417 Likes Received
    I call it a good call. Everything works exactly as drawn up but Wilson simply brain farts.

ThatJerryKid likes this.