Cedrick might have blown it (fake punt)

CWR

Reaction score
Because he screwed up and McCarthy is taking all the heat...

From a former college qb I'd expect him to be able to hit a wide open, by 10 freaking yards receiver for a 25 yard pass. He either had no business running that play or didn't know the play in the first place. MM and his goofball staff deserve the criticism they are getting.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You can only blame the coaching for so much. There's just too many factors that contributed to the suckage.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Bad decision to go for it...but the play would have worked if it was a pass. However, I'm not sure that is something you try when I'm sure they didn't have much time in practice to go over it this week.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
There was something screwy about that play...he was 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage on almost a 4th and 10. He has to run almost 25 yards on a slow developing play just to get the first down. 29 did let his man go and went downfield almost looking for a pass from Wilson. Dallas would have probably lost anyway the way they played. Oh well, happy tanks giving....LOL...
It was suppose to be a pass, but no one told Wilson. He never looked downfield, nor did he set his feet to throw.

And you are right, the blockers intentionally stayed behind the line of scrimmage. But not having guys on the same page, is bad coaching. IMO.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not going to expect a WR to hit a pass 30 yards downfield while running for his life.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The play calling and poor HC decisions were the most plentiful I can recall in a Cowboys game. :facepalm:

At least several were beyond ridiculous. My confidence in this offensive coaching is fading badly. :oops:

Last edited:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'm not going to expect a WR to hit a pass 30 yards downfield while running for his life.

Bingo. This is the inherent risk of asking putting non-QBs in QB situations.

They're awesome highlight-reel plays when they work. But you run high risk of botched exchanges, bad reads, rushed throws, etc.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I know everyone is up in arms to take the coaches out behind the barn like Ol Yeller, and I agree there were some questionable calls for sure. But on Twitter in real time I saw several folks asking if Cedrick Wilson was supposed to throw it on that 4th and 10 fake punt and well:

Would we be calling Fassel a genius like after the Atlanta game right now if he had thrown that ball? 29 ain’t blocking for sure.

Hey everyone, have some turkey and pumpkin beer and relax a little!

Its even worse on the coaching if he was supposed to throw it and he looked like throwing wasnt even an option.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
It was 4th and 10 deep in cowboys’ territory in a 4 point game . It was a terrible call and blew up the game completely sucking all emotion out of the team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know everyone is up in arms to take the coaches out behind the barn like Ol Yeller, and I agree there were some questionable calls for sure. But on Twitter in real time I saw several folks asking if Cedrick Wilson was supposed to throw it on that 4th and 10 fake punt and well:

Would we be calling Fassel a genius like after the Atlanta game right now if he had thrown that ball? 29 ain’t blocking for sure.

Hey everyone, have some turkey and pumpkin beer and relax a little!

The play worked beautifully. It was a clear win once 25 chose to follow 20. That left it 3 Cowboys on 32 and 47 on the entire right side of the field.

When Cedrick is on the left hash, the play was clearly a win. Nobody within 10 yards of 29, and he could just slant to the sidelines to keep it that way. No one within 15 yards of Wilson at that point.

Once 47 committed to containing Wilson, it was 2 receivers wide open with only 32 to even attempt to cover them right of the hash. It was time to throw the ball.

Cedrick just blew it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think it was desperate, not dumb. He knows what team we have on the field at that point.

Just saying, if Ced hits him for 18 yards I think there would be some different tunes being sung.

Not counting the out of picture punt returner, it's a minimum 30 yard play.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He’s a former college QB. He can throw the ball just fine.

Cedrick threw that cross field kickoff return gimmick the previous game. 29 was wide open running away from defenders with 15 yards of separation. You don't even need a former QB to complete that pass. Probably most of the players on the team could have done it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If you see the pics that are floating on the web, if Wilson throws the ball it’s probably a touchdown because the only player between our WR and the end zone is the punt returner.

25 loses any leverage on 29 when Cedrick is midfield. He *might* have been able to help the punt returner, but it's a 30 yard gain minimum, possible TD.

I like it. We're behind and punting with time running down. Play worked perfectly as drawn up, and should have gone for a massive gain at minimum, reasonable chance at a 75 yard TD.

Cedrick just blew it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
From a former college qb I'd expect him to be able to hit a wide open, by 10 freaking yards receiver for a 25 yard pass. He either had no business running that play or didn't know the play in the first place. MM and his goofball staff deserve the criticism they are getting.

I call it a good call. Everything works exactly as drawn up but Wilson simply brain farts.