CeeDee Lamb to wear 88

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrible in so many ways.

He doesn’t want to wear it.

It won’t look as good as 10.

It’s still too soon to give someone that number and they disrespect Dez again.

Nothing about this sits right with me.
Dez? What about Michael Irvin and the original #88- Drew Pearson?
Why can’t these players carve out their own reputations?

snapper

Reaction score
Per 105.3 The Fan! Talking about it right now.

Me likey.

200710205_primary_navy

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't understand this, though. The last 88 is the franchise leader in TDs. What is making the hype dissipate?

For me, it's just too soon. I'm sure a lot will disagree, but I think they should have waited until Dez retired to reassign as a sign of respect.
Michael Irvin retired following the '99 season. Antonio Bryant was drafted 3 years later and given 88 in 2002.
Dez last played for Dallas in '17. CeeDee was drafted 3 years later and given 88 in 2020.

If it wasn't too soon to give 88 away 3 years after Irvin, it is most definitely not too early to give it away 3 years after Dez.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrible in so many ways.

He doesn’t want to wear it.

It won’t look as good as 10.

It’s still too soon to give someone that number and they disrespect Dez again.

Nothing about this sits right with me.
How do you know he doesn't want to wear it?

Sure he originally said he was interested in #10, but how do we know he is truly opposed to 88?

For example, suppose he thought it would be presumptuous to ask for 88, and was honored when Jerry wanted him to have it. Or even if #10 was what he wanted, how do we know Jerry didn't explained the significance of his friend dying and was happy to take on 88 to honor Jerry's friend? How do we know he cares that much about this at all?

As for disrespecting Dez, if they didn't consider it off limits after Drew or Michael, why would they with Dez?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
No, we know that the night of the draft he was asked and answered that he would wear 10. We don’t know how important that was to him, how long he had been decided and we don’t know if he even knew of the 88 legacy.

Maybe he just pulled 10 out of the air in that moment. Maybe he had wanted to be 10 for years. We don’t know.

We don’t know that he didn’t love the idea of 88 when it was brought up and we don’t know if he hated it.

Does it matter how important it is to him, whether or not he knew about past players, or whether or not he pulled it out of thin air? It's not like Jerry would have cared. Jerry made the choice for him, plain and simple.

The fact is, he didn't pick 88. He picked 10. Regardless of how he chose that number, 88 wasn't his choice. Whether or not he thought about it doesn't matter, and I'd say the idea that he just drew from the Powerball machine is a complete joke. Players take their numbers seriously, and sometimes to an absurd extent.

We don't know that you don't love to eat cow pies. You may have asked for chicken fried steak, but until you tell us otherwise we'll just have to assume cow **** is something you'd willingly eat.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it matter how important it is to him, whether or not he knew about past players, or whether or not he pulled it out of thin air? It's not like Jerry would have cared. Jerry made the choice for him, plain and simple.

The fact is, he didn't pick 88. He picked 10. Regardless of how he chose that number, 88 wasn't his choice. Whether or not he thought about it doesn't matter, and I'd say the idea that he just drew from the Powerball machine is a complete joke. Players take their numbers seriously, and sometimes to an absurd extent.

We don't know that you don't love to eat cow pies. You may have asked for chicken fried steak, but until you tell us otherwise we'll just have to assume cow **** is something you'd willingly eat.

It matters from the standpoint that if he really doesn't care then it isn't the big drama fans are making it out to be. For that matter, for all we know he may even prefer 88, but thought it would be presumptuous to ask for it. Or it may have been that Jerry just didn't think at first that Lamb would have a preference since he couldn't wear his college number, and that once he knew he offered to give him #10, but Lamb was happy to wear #88 once he heard about Jerry wanting to honor his deceased friend. The bottom line is we just don't know everything, but it makes for a nice soap opera to act as if we do.

RS12

Reaction score
I don't believe 74 has been worn in a reg season game since Bob Lilly wore it. 12 is the same way.
You are talking about two of the top 50 all time to ever step on the field. As it should be.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do I really have to explain it to you, and the feline comment was uncalled for.
I assume you are talking about the controversial play against Green Bay, and if so, to be fair, we really can't say that robbed Dez of a championship. Aside from the debate over whether the refs got it right or not, even if they had allowed the catch we don't know how things would have played out. We really don't even know they would have won that game, much less the championship.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I grew up in the 70s, and I always wore #88. But that was the 70s. I believe in changing with the times, and these times and days, young receivers like to wear numbers below the 20's. Let the guy wear what he wants. Not like we refuse to go to domes because back in the 50's, it was outside and grass only. I don't know if this was forced upon him, but I'd want him to wear what he wants. He's not Pearson, he's not Irvin, he's not Bryant, he's Ceedee.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Its official. If Dez came back, it will not be with no. 88. I think he deserves another shot like all the drug heads, suspended players, and old veteran players that retired and came back got multiple chances. Giving Lamb no.88 is sort of an insult. But NFL stands for Not For Long.

a68d8d7d-ba49-4aca-8a1f-371b5cbb1af4.jpg

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It matters from the standpoint that if he really doesn't care then it isn't the big drama fans are making it out to be. For that matter, for all we know he may even prefer 88, but thought it would be presumptuous to ask for it. Or it may have been that Jerry just didn't think at first that Lamb would have a preference since he couldn't wear his college number, and that once he knew he offered to give him #10, but Lamb was happy to wear #88 once he heard about Jerry wanting to honor his deceased friend. The bottom line is we just don't know everything, but it makes for a nice soap opera to act as if we do.

He didn't say that he didn't care what number he had. He said he wanted 10. How is this even up for discussion? He clearly had a preference and it wasn't 88.

And please, spare us the idea that Jerry "didn't think about it". If Jerry is so naive to the idea that players have favorite or preferred numbers after 30+ years of ownership, he's easily the dumbest person on the planet. Kids that play in youth sports have number preferences. High school players have number preferences. College players have number preferences. Are we really supposed to believe that the moment a player is drafted they no longer care what number they wear?

He said he wanted 10. Would it have been impossible to just let him pick his own number? Suppose he wanted 10 now and in 2 weeks he wants 88. Was there some sort of time limit on the availability of 88? Let him pick his number and if he picks 88 then he picks 88. If he picks something else, he picks something else.

Why does Jerry have to be involved here? Regardless of how committed he was to any number, why force him to wear a specific number?