CFP Championship game Bama vs. OSU

Beaker42

Reaction score
Bama has looked like a semi pro team this season, really head and shoulders above the rest. OSU is a damn good team but going up against Bama it was a no contest after a qrt and a half. From that point on it was Bama game
Yeah, when a program is able to turn down 5*s for better 5*s that’s gonna happen. I won’t watch another Alabama game until they’re Bill Curry-bad again so I watch a team beat their brakes off. They’re nothing more than the UK of NCAA football. Paid team.

Turk

Reaction score
I think you are completely not understanding what a playoff system would do for recruiting.

I reject your conclusion.

And you have no proof at all to offer so its just an opinion.

Turk

Reaction score
I think you are completely not understanding what a playoff system would do for recruiting.

Turk

Reaction score
A lot of local folks here were a bit defensive about LSU's fall off this year, oft quoting the "we lost 14 starters to the NFL"
Well Alabama lost 9 starters to the NFL and looky looky - another title.

If you have the pipeline of talent Alabama does losing players to the NFL just slows the train down, it doesn't stop it.

Just due to the difficulty of repeating I don't see Alabama winning it all again next year, but they certainly have to be one of the favorites...
How many starters are they losing? And who will be their QB?

kskboys

Reaction score

Logical opinon.

At present, only a very few teams have any chance at a title. Implement a playoff system, and suddenly many teams have a shot at a title. Recruits will then start considering other schools instead of being 3rd string on ALA's bench.

If you have any logic at all in your brain, you'll be able to comprehend how that would be a logical conclusion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, when a program is able to turn down 5*s for better 5*s that’s gonna happen. I won’t watch another Alabama game until they’re Bill Curry-bad again so I watch a team beat their brakes off. They’re nothing more than the UK of NCAA football. Paid team.

Alabama is looked at by NCAA like any other program and when they have violated the rules in the past they have been punished. Fact is they do a great job of recruiting and a great job of coaching these kids. You can hate them for being a greatly successful team that is your business

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How many starters are they losing? And who will be their QB?

Well we won't know how many starters they are losing for a while, the kids don't have to declare that until the 18th.

And who'll be their quarterback? I have no idea, but Jones can play another year, he has a year left. But even if he leaves you can be sure there's at leas one very talented quarterback on the team. That was my point, one guy leaves and another one just steps in. "Next man up" ya know, it's not like the NFL, Alabama has 90-plus players on scholarship, they can stash quarterbacks for a season or two...

Turk

Reaction score
Logical opinon.

At present, only a very few teams have any chance at a title. Implement a playoff system, and suddenly many teams have a shot at a title. Recruits will then start considering other schools instead of being 3rd string on ALA's bench.

If you have any logic at all in your brain, you'll be able to comprehend how that would be a logical conclusion.
The top talent looks for the easiest route to the NFL. Having to compete with other top talent is considered by a fair number not such a good idea.

Is that not logical as well?

Or is it that only what you think that is logical?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I do NOT want to devalue the playoffs like so many professional sports have done. The NBA and NHL are flat stupid; having that many teams make the playoffs devalues both the playoffs and the regular season. The NFL is getting real close to that now.
Right on.

kskboys

Reaction score
The top talent looks for the easiest route to the NFL. Having to compete with other top talent is considered by a fair number not such a good idea.

Is that not logical as well?

Or is it that only what you think that is logical?
No, I'm not getting what you're saying. Sorry.

It's logical to me that top talent is sitting on the bench when they could/should be playing.

Turk

Reaction score
No, I'm not getting what you're saying. Sorry.

It's logical to me that top talent is sitting on the bench when they could/should be playing.

So others see top talent sitting on a bench at Alabama and naturally they want to go there?

kskboys

Reaction score
So others see top talent sitting on a bench at Alabama and naturally they want to go there?
No, some of the top players will opt for other schools knowing they have a shot at a championship elsewhere.

The face of recruiting would change in a big way. The 3rd string/starting quality guys on the bench at ALA are there simply because it's their only chance at a championship. If you widen the playoffs, you'll see more talent being spread out instead of bunching up at 4-5 schools.

Turk

Reaction score
No, some of the top players will opt for other schools knowing they have a shot at a championship elsewhere.

The face of recruiting would change in a big way. The 3rd string/starting quality guys on the bench at ALA are there simply because it's their only chance at a championship. If you widen the playoffs, you'll see more talent being spread out instead of bunching up at 4-5 schools.
You miss it completely. Their NUMBER ONE PRIORITY is to place themselves in a position to reach the NFL.
Any college accomplishments as regards team is a secondary concern

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You miss it completely. Their NUMBER ONE PRIORITY is to place themselves in a position to reach the NFL.
Any college accomplishments as regards team is a secondary concern

Most kids in these programs will never see the NFL and they know it. Some actually play college football because they love the game and the school they attend. Of course top players know they are a legit shot at a chance in the pros and going to schools that give them the spot light to show their skills plays a big role in where they choose to go. I will say this championship means a lot to these guys, key player who will be going to the pros did not opt out of the game as to not risk injury. It means a lot. Waddle for Alabama who had major surgery told the doctors just make sure I can get back so he could play in the National Championship game. Waddle expected to be a top 10 pick

Turk

Reaction score
Most kids in these programs will never see the NFL and they know it. Some actually play college football because they love the game and the school they attend. Of course top players know they are a legit shot at a chance in the pros and going to schools that give them the spot light to show their skills plays a big role in where they choose to go. I will say this championship means a lot to these guys, key player who will be going to the pros did not opt out of the game as to not risk injury. It means a lot. Waddle for Alabama who had major surgery told the doctors just make sure I can get back so he could play in the National Championship game. Waddle expected to be a top 10 pick
We are talking the top talent and they all think they have a shot at the NFL. Your claim about it meaning so much to a lot of them is proven wrong by how many are dropping out of playing in bowls; more all the time. And I saw a fair number of 'business decisions' in other bowls this year. The claim that more teams making the playoffs will spread the talent around I consider completely baseless.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We are talking the top talent and they all think they have a shot at the NFL. Your claim about it meaning so much to a lot of them is proven wrong by how many are dropping out of playing in bowls; more all the time. And I saw a fair number of 'business decisions' in other bowls this year. The claim that more teams making the playoffs will spread the talent around I consider completely baseless.

They dropped out of lesser bowls not the playoffs and championship game. I agree with Mac Brown by adding a couple more teams to the playoff system 1 you can put in teams who deserve to be in the hunt but 2 you have less op outs. Granted the Gator Bowl and lessor bowl games you will have guys opting out but you are not seeing teams in the hunt for a championship opting out

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

We already see players opting for other schools, but what they do is go to FCS schools, where their talent immediately lands them a starting job, or at the least makes them better athletes, previously better coached, etc. so that they can more easily beat out the other players at their position. That's the way a lot of the FCS schools get better very quickly, just pick up somebody who's already "game ready". And that to me is ruining FCS football (like the college I graduated from), you don't build a team, you just pick one out like fruit at the grocery store...