Championship defense

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most cowboy fans. Realize if you can keep the other team from scoring 27 points or less. You should be able to win some football game. I truly believe we have a championship offense. I do not believe we have a champion defense at this time. I still want a middle linebacker. Strong safety. Defensive tackle. Sure we are looking much better than we have in the past. I just don’t know if it’s good enough for a championship. . We’re getting there lol

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Most cowboy fans. Realize if you can keep the other team from scoring 27 points or less. You should be able to win some football game. I truly believe we have a championship offense. I do not believe we have a champion defense at this time. I still want a middle linebacker. Strong safety. Defensive tackle. Sure we are looking much better than we have in the past. I just don’t know if it’s good enough for a championship. . We’re getting there lol
No, we don't have a championship level defense, but more like the Saints one that won the Super Bowl. Great offense with a defense that is very opportunistic. Question is can they keep on getting these turnovers? Also, our offense can help them out by playing more clean.

Nobody expected the defense to be rebuilt in just one off-season. Another strong draft and some development can make it happen.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think with Gallimore and Lawrence coming back, the DL will be better.

I do believe we need another LB. hopefully cox can contribute more. but right now we are not deep and lack at LB.

we do need better saftey play. I am not sure the reason behind giving up so many long pass plays, but that has to stop...its been in every game....and I agree, its the saftey spot......that's why I suggested in another post perhaps make a trade for Marcus Maye....even if its a first........he is on his last year with Jets, perhaps now that there is half a season and their season is lost, they may even go for a 2nd....not sure....but that would mean having to sign him long term for the trade to be worth it and that would make three must sign player in off season...including Gregory and Schultz

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

No we are there yet but the good news is I think our issues are correctable and there is plenty of time.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
We are a bottom 10 defense that is forcing turnovers.

We can't expect to force 2 turnovers a game or to score 35 points every game. We're going to have games where we don't get any turnovers and games where we might only score 24 points. Those are the games that the defense is going to have to step up and be better.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We are a bottom 10 defense that is forcing turnovers.

We can't expect to force 2 turnovers a game or to score 35 points every game. We're going to have games where we don't get any turnovers and games where we might only score 24 points. Those are the games that the defense is going to have to step up and be better.
I’m not sure about bottom 10. Maybe. In which category. But the rest I agree

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think this group is coming along and I fully expect to see them improve as a unit the more they play together. I'm not worried about playing championship defense in Oct, I want to see them keep working and improving to get to the level of championship defense late in the season. This group plays with a lot of confidence and I think are slowing putting things together as a unit.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
I like our odds at getting progressively better each week not only with the health issues but also Quinn putting our guys in the right position. Turnovers are random and unless we stay on the positive side you can expect some 'stressful' games into the 4th quarter. DLaw and RG on the other side will certainly help the cause.

terra

Reaction score
We have made a lot of progress in just one year. But we are at best mediocre on D. The turnovers have been the key; and who knows if we can keep getting them. The Saint's D everyone talks about was a true aberration; a one off.

Cydios

Reaction score
Defense is winning the the turnover battle hands down, it's the yards that they give up. They just appear weak in the middle..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There are championship defenses, but most defenses become championship defenses because of the offense. Even the 85 Bears had a very good offense.

KC, Tenn, Balt, Buff, GB, Dallas…..all have good aspects of their defenses, but glaring weaknesses.
Tenn can’t cover, Buff can’t stop the run, GB is trying to find a pass rush via FA, Dallas gives up big plays. Baltimore has injuries.

Then you have paper champions like Cleveland and Washington who were supposed to be all about defense but can’t seem to stop anyone.

Dallas has an average defense that has improved vs the run and in getting turnovers, a defense that is improving and should be even better next year. If we avoid injuries and the offense continues to click, this defense may be good enough.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like most Cowboys fans, I’m excited about the defense’s ability to get TOs. It’s a huge reason we are 5-1. But if we are being honest without the fan glasses, our defense still has a very long way to go. Here are some areas we must improve if we’re going to have a serious playoff run:
  • We are 20th in the most important defensive stat: Points per game, giving up 24.3. Not terrible, but that needs to improve because the better teams we may face in the playoffs tend to be able to make your offense score less. We can’t depend on the offense alone to win games.
  • Our 6.3 yards per play is 29th in the NFL. (Without the 14 TOs we’ve had, we would all be talking about how we are still getting gashed for big plays)
  • We are ranked 28th in yards per passing attempt with 7.4.
  • We have 11 sacks, which is ok, but that ranks us 23rd. We could really use an improvement there.
Our defense is certainly better and still improving. I want to see us get better in the above areas and I will feel even better about our playoff chances.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The good news in Cap era is you need to be great on one side of the ball and average to above average on the other side.

Cap era with rare exceptions championship teams either have a generational defense or an Elite QB and or offense.

So, we have it on one side of the ball and our defense has potential of being average while being near the top of the league in turnover differential which can make up or mask some weakness on defense.

It’s very difficult to stud up on both sides of the ball in Cap era. You have to draft very well every year and have most of that Elite talent on Rookie contracts.

We will go as far as this great offense will take us but we finally have a defense which is opportunistic making some stops in critical situations. This is as close as we’ve looked to a serious contender. Is it enough. We won’t know until the playoffs.

But remember even in our glory years when we were a proven championship contender we still ran up against better teams or greater performances. Nothing is guaranteed even with a proven contender as in a one game elimination anything can happen.