Chances of trading for RW now?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2318520 said:
How about Chris Chamber to the Chargers for a second round pick on October 16th 2007. He had just turned 29, was a Pro-Bowler in 2005, but had a marginal season in 2006 due to what people deemed as sub-par QB play and offense in general.

I doubt there was much of a bidding war for him to begin with. Chambers is close with Chargers HC Norv Turner b/c Turner was OC in Miami in '02-'03. Other than that, there wasn't much interest in the guy.

I agree, he's a very good receiver, but there really wasn't much interest outside of San Diego.

Aven8

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2318535 said:
So what would be to much in your opinion ?

A 1st and another pick, unless it's a 7th. A first and a corner.

I would still trade a 1st today. I know it's almost the middle of the season, but you would be getting a 27 yr old receiver that has skins, and knows how to play the position. Our offense will finally be complete. Then next year you can spend your picks on quality back ups, pass rusher, line backer, etc.

Our 1st is going to be any where from 26-32...hopefully 32. I only see one receiver that can help us almost immediately and that is Crabtree. But he has to come out for that to happen, and I've read multiple publications that says he will be a top 10 to top 5 pick. We would have to trade half our draft to get to him.

It's been proven.....Crayton is not a #2. And Miles is just not there yet...I see Miles as a Kelvin Martin type for us..a couple of big plays a year.

We could wait and get him for free next year, but I think it's going to be a mistake. It's about winning now. Like I've stated before he may not put us over the top, but he sure will get us a lot closer. There is nothing we can do about the defense right now, but we sure will be able to out score a lot of teams.

Again, he will complete our offense.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Aven8;2318581 said:

I would still trade a 1st today. I know it's almost the middle of the season, but you would be getting a 27 yr old receiver that has skins, and knows how to play the position. Our offense will finally be complete. Then next year you can spend your picks on quality back ups, pass rusher, line backer, etc.

Our 1st is going to be any where from 26-32...hopefully 32. I only see one receiver that can help us almost immediately and that is Crabtree. But he has to come out for that to happen, and I've read multiple publications that says he will be a top 10 to top 5 pick. We would have to trade half our draft to get to him.

It been proven.....Crayton is not a #2. And Miles is just not there yet...I see Miles as a Kevin Williams type for us..a couple of big plays a year.

We could wait and get him for free next year, but I think it's going to be a mistake. It's about winning now. Like I've stated before he may not put us over the top, but he sure will get us a lot closer. There is nothing we can do about the defense right now, but we sure will be able to out score a lot of teams.

I can dig it....

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2318556 said:
Witten is our Number 1......

#2 Wr's dont lead the league in receptions....

TJ house and Welker lead the league in receptions last year at #2 and #3 WR.... so what are you saying.....

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2318587 said:
TJ house and Welker lead the league in receptions last year at #2 and #3 WR.... so what are you saying.....

I'm saying that your Quarterback's primary target is his #1 WR.....

links18

Reaction score
Aven8;2318581 said:

It's been proven.....Crayton is not a #2. And Miles is just not there yet...I see Miles as a Kelvin Martin type for us..a couple of big plays a year.

I agree with you almost 100 percent. We need another receiver. Detroit is terrible and will almost certainly lose him next year, so its in their interests to try to get something for him before he leaves on his own. We are one of the only teams in a position to trade for him, because we have a real possibility of locking him up with a new contract. It just makes too much sense, which in this world is probably all the more reason why it won't happen.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Boysboy;2318574 said:
I doubt there was much of a bidding war for him to begin with. Chambers is close with Chargers HC Norv Turner b/c Turner was OC in Miami in '02-'03. Other than that, there wasn't much interest in the guy.

I agree, he's a very good receiver, but there really wasn't much interest outside of San Diego.

My response was to the comment of there never being a noteable trade at midseason. Not sure where a bidding war would fit in to that?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Jerry isn't going to do anything about WR during this year, I'm still saying we draft guys instead of trading for one. Maybe we'll get Roy in FA, but even that seems unlikely to me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2318520 said:
How about Chris Chamber to the Chargers for a second round pick on October 16th 2007. He had just turned 29, was a Pro-Bowler in 2005, but had a marginal season in 2006 due to what people deemed as sub-par QB play and offense in general.

It wasn't that big of a trade and Chambers career was slipping drastically before he went to San Diego.

The Chargers overpayed at the time because they had nobody.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
links18;2318599 said:
I agree with you almost 100 percent. We need another receiver. Detroit is terrible and will almost certainly lose him next year, so its in their interests to try to get something for him before he leaves on his own. We are one of the only teams in a position to trade for him, because we have a real possibility of locking him up with a new contract. It just makes too much sense, which in this world is probably all the more reason why it won't happen.

I also agree.

I see no reason not to do this deal unless Detroit's demands are completely unreasonable.

I would be willing to give up Dallas #1 next year and give Detroit their 4th rounder back as well.

It would be worth it to get a top receiver to help this year and Williams is as good or better than anyone Dallas could draft next season anyway.

They would have a young receiver to play now and to bring along for the future when Owens retires.

Fixing the defense is a separate issue, but I see no reason not to add as many offensive weapons as you can given the chance.

It's not like any of the other receivers are stepping up consistantly when Owens is getting double-covered.

khiladi

Reaction score
Why give up a first at all? Look, Roy is going to be a free agent next year. Detroit will get nothing for him if they don't concede to less than a first...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
khiladi;2318674 said:
Why give up a first at all? Look, Roy is going to be a free agent next year. Detroit will get nothing for him if they don't concede to less than a first...

Could they slap him with the franchise tag?

Aven8

Reaction score
TheCount;2318621 said:
Jerry isn't going to do anything about WR during this year, I'm still saying we draft guys instead of trading for one. Maybe we'll get Roy in FA, but even that seems unlikely to me.

That's a win later mode....it's all about winning now, and TO isn't getting any younger.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
CATCH17;2318646 said:
It wasn't that big of a trade and Chambers career was slipping drastically before he went to San Diego.

The Chargers overpayed at the time because they had nobody.

The speculation out of several news outlets is that the Lions will not be able to get much more than a third rounder for Williams because, like the Charges from last year, they are dealing from a position of weakness due to having a plyer in the last year of his contract that does not want to resign with them. From the Detroit Free Press:

"Do the Lions need to dump Roy Williams ASAP?

Absolutely. He's of greater value to them as a 2009 draft pick that a new general manager and coach could find useful. They won't get a first-rounder for him. They blew that on draft day when Dallas reportedly offered a first-round draft pick for Williams, but Matt Millen balked. They might be lucky to get a third-round pick for him now because teams know the Lions must move him."

I doubt they move Williams for a third rounder, but they may settle for a second given that they don't think they can resign him. Regardless of the talent associated, if he is moved it is reasonable to assume that the schematics will work out to a similar value as the Chris Chambers trade due to the Lions position of weakness.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't mind getting him but I don't think we use the weapons we have very well as it is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
khiladi;2318674 said:

I would do it to get him now and give this team the best chance to win a championship this season.

Aven8

Reaction score
khiladi;2318674 said:

If we can get him for less I'm all for it....but to close the deal I would be willing to give up a 1st.

And if Detroit doesn't trade him, they are TRUE idiots!

What would be real funny would be to give them back there 3rd that we traded for them on draft day!!!

khiladi

Reaction score
CATCH17;2318676 said:
Could they slap him with the franchise tag?

They can't afford to pay that much money in their WRs corp. Well they could, but that would just be idiotic, especially after they have clearly stated they are moving to a run-based offense. Plus, Roy clearly doesn't want to play there...

I would do it to get him now and give this team the best chance to win a championship this season.

So would I... What I am saying is that if Detroit waits, they are going to lose out. They are the one in the pressure situation, not us. He can be had now for less than a 1st..

We can win now, without Roy Williams, though this would increase our odds by a lot.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
khiladi;2318713 said:
They can't afford to pay that much money in their WRs corp. Well they could, but that would just be idiotic, especially after they have clearly stated they are moving to a run-based offense. Plus, Roy clearly doesn't want to play there...

So would I... What I am saying is that if Detroit waits, they are going to lose out. They are the one in the pressure situation, not us. He can be had now for less than a 1st..

We can win now, without Roy Williams, though this would increase our odds by a lot.

I dont know if it increases our odds "a lot".

Our offense isn't going to lose many games for us and I already wouldn't take another offense in the league.

Hes a heck of a player though. But I dont think our chances of winning the Superbowl are that much higher with him.