Change in Romo's throwing?

sago1

Reaction score
Anyone starting to think that the change Romo & Garrett made in the offseason re Romo's "standing tall in the pocket" will take a little while for him to adjust to or maybe they shouldn't have messed with his throwing. Just wondering if this "new" technique just isn't allowing him to get into his rhymn.

BTW: Anybody see the Miami game. I saw parts of it and got to admit I'm impressed with that team. Frankly, it sure looks to me like Sparano is pulling out all the stops in his offense; their defense also looked pretty good. I wouldn't have bet the Dolphins would win more then 4-5 games the whole season. Heck, they've already beat the Pats and now the Chargers.

dalboy

one man wolf pack
Reaction score
Our O-line has not been as good as lately even though there were not that many sacks. Romo was smart and got rid of ball before he got sacked.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
For the past 2 weeks, Romo's accuracy has been off. Today I noticed he did not step into a bunch of throws and almost all of them were off target.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Romo was definitely not on his game today. We'll have to see if this is a trend.

I did like the fact that he ran for first downs when everyone was covered to extend some drives - I could just do without him being so careless with it - tuck it away tight once you are committed to running.

adamc91115

Reaction score
Eskimo;2311098 said:
Romo was definitely not on his game today. We'll have to see if this is a trend.

I did like the fact that he ran for first downs when everyone was covered to extend some drives - I could just do without him being so careless with it - tuck it away tight once you are committed to running.

I don't think he ever really "commits" to running... I think he's always looking to throw the ball.

Eskimo

Reaction score
adamc91115;2311109 said:
I don't think he ever really "commits" to running... I think he's always looking to throw the ball.

Once you're across the line you can't throw it. So once he has made the decision to run the ball has to be secured.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
sago1;2310996 said:
Anyone starting to think that the change Romo & Garrett made in the offseason re Romo's "standing tall in the pocket" will take a little while for him to adjust to or maybe they shouldn't have messed with his throwing. Just wondering if this "new" technique just isn't allowing him to get into his rhymn.

BTW: Anybody see the Miami game. I saw parts of it and got to admit I'm impressed with that team. Frankly, it sure looks to me like Sparano is pulling out all the stops in his offense; their defense also looked pretty good. I wouldn't have bet the Dolphins would win more then 4-5 games the whole season. Heck, they've already beat the Pats and now the Chargers.

Yes, Tony's new "stance" is affecting his throwing. I don't think its natural for him. It worked ok in the Cleveland game, but that was because he had oodles of time to look. But Tony should go back to his roots. He isn't stepping into some throws and he's missing the marks quite a bit lately.

I still love Tony and think he is a great quarterback. I wonder if anybody knows or has done a comparison of his td's/interception ratio vs Brett Favre during the same number of games. (I just don't know where to get that or really just too lazy).

Remember when Favre and the packers were coming into Texas stadium every year and losing in the playoffs to Dallas? Favre eventually came through. I just think that Romo is still developing. I think his turnovers, especially on fumbles come from him trying to do something extra on every posession. I like that mind set. I don't want a darn bus driver.

I'll take Tony and his fumbles and (tds and wins). I know he is working on it, just give it time.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
It so sad watching Romo out there stinking it up. But like he constantly says, either youre good enough to do this or you are not.

SquiggDoggs

Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;2311211 said:
It so sad watching Romo out there stinking it up. But like he constantly says, either youre good enough to do this or you are not.

It was a bad game but he still had 3 tds and 1 pic...last year at this point he had 13 tds and 8 pics compared to 11 tds and 5 pics this year...and they played miami and the rams...our run game is better now so there are a lot more ways to get the first down other than passing…romo is tied for second in the league with tds by the way after today...everything will be fine.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AtomicDog;2311178 said:
Yes, Tony's new "stance" is affecting his throwing. I don't think its natural for him. It worked ok in the Cleveland game, but that was because he had oodles of time to look. But Tony should go back to his roots. He isn't stepping into some throws and he's missing the marks quite a bit lately.

I still love Tony and think he is a great quarterback. I wonder if anybody knows or has done a comparison of his td's/interception ratio vs Brett Favre during the same number of games. (I just don't know where to get that or really just too lazy).

Remember when Favre and the packers were coming into Texas stadium every year and losing in the playoffs to Dallas? Favre eventually came through. I just think that Romo is still developing. I think his turnovers, especially on fumbles come from him trying to do something extra on every posession. I like that mind set. I don't want a darn bus driver.

I'll take Tony and his fumbles and (tds and wins). I know he is working on it, just give it time.

The new throwing motion has nothing to do with it, because up until last week his throws were accurate and had plenty of zip on them...something happened last week and that changed, and I think he is hurt.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
dbair1967;2311374 said:
The new throwing motion has nothing to do with it, because up until last week his throws were accurate and had plenty of zip on them...something happened last week and that changed, and I think he is hurt.

Hmmm... now being hurt would definitely affect things for him. But I hadn't heard of any minor injuries to Romo. He does play down injuries alot.

You know what? How about this? He's off because he's having to at least look for TO on every passing play. When, he does it takes him off where he thinks the primary target will be for that play. TO is a ball player, but I hate his act.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
dbair1967;2311374 said:

You don't think it has something to do with the pressure?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Paniolo22;2311443 said:
You think it has something to do wiht the pressure?

you mean pressure of being the QB of a team everyone thinks should win a championship, or pressure from the other defense? if its the latter, no. He hasnt had that much pressure.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It could be the DL, LBs and DBs trying to hurt him and get in his way that has the most to do with it. When you have to throw it sideways to get it there that's what you do. And when you can't step thru the throw then you're not going to be as accurate say as 120 QB rating vs 106.

People don't want to give up bombs to TO, and 10-25yd seams to Witten so they are messing up the timing of the WRs and the QB. And it's working....somewhat. That's why we were able to run the ball tonite. That and because we wanted to.

Those two things are the reason why Romo isn't burning the league up but only setting small forest fires.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;2311211 said:

Stinking it up?!:lmao2:

ddh33

Reaction score
I think that having guys around your face and legs makes it harder to throw accurately.

Everson24

Reaction score
He is not stepping into his throws as in the previous two years. He is trying to be more Brady like but he doesn't have Tom Brady's arm strength to stand flat footed and deliever the ball accurately. He is throwing with all arm.

Isn't this what Jerry pays Wade Wilson for? Isn't he supposed to pick up on this and correct it.