Twitter: Charean Williams: "Goodell will lose his job over this"

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well, if he keeps pissing off large team fan bases, I could see him gone sooner rather than later.

I think suspensions, outside of performance enhancers and cheating, in general are dumb. However, hiring investigators after police have done their job - this has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
I think he might be. He's at least got two of the most powerful owners in the league on his tail. And he's hurting the game overall.

He's a horrible custodian of the league.
I agree he is a horrible custodian of the league but the owners overall see their profit increase bigtime during Rog's tenure, that's why they don't blink an eye over his 40 million dollar a year salary. We can argue that the league's success has very little with Rog and we'd correct in that assesment.

Us Seattle fans *****ed and moaned when he unfairly harshly banned Brandon Browner indefinitely over pot in 2013, I think it ended up being at least a 9 month suspension over 2 seasons. Ask the Hawks, Saints, Stealers, and Pats fans what they think about Rog, it will be pretty much what you cowboys fans think of him.

It doesn't matter what us fans think of him. It doesn't matter what 2 owners think of him, it matters what the entirety of the owners think, and as long as they are making bank, Rog will still be there whether we like it or not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree he is a horrible custodian of the league but the owners overall see their profit increase bigtime during Rog's tenure, that's why they don't blink an eye over his 40 million dollar a year salary. We can argue that the league's success has very little with Rog and we'd correct in that assesment.

Us Seattle fans *****ed and moaned when he unfairly harshly banned Brandon Browner indefinitely over pot in 2013, I think it ended up being at least a 9 month suspension over 2 seasons. Ask the Hawks, Saints, Stealers, and Pats fans what they think about Rog, it will be pretty much what you cowboys fans think of him.

It doesn't matter what us fans think of him. It doesn't matter what 2 owners think of him, it matters what the entirety of the owners think, and as long as they are making bank, Rog will still be there whether we like it or not.

The owners can find two dozen corporate lawyers who can make money with the NFL. It's a cash cow.

They need somebody who won't embarrass the league over and over again.

Macnalty

Reaction score
For some perspective I have to ask myself if Zeke wore a Giants jersey would it have taken over a year to figure out they believe the girlfriend over the player? I have no trouble with them believing the girlfriend but why over a year, the NFL is a entertainment business putting its foot in the legal system seems beyond their mandate and very political.
Zeke needs to put on his big boy pants(for the first time) and accept his punishment with some contrition thrown in for good luck. Hopefully with counselling he can get a better attitude about his life in the real world not the Cowboy life.

csirl

Reaction score
Goodell is not behind all this. The NFL owners run the show. He is their paid front man - one who has been groomed by them for the position from when he was a young exec.

Most NFL owners are from a background and generation where personal conduct is a big issue. Most are horrified by this type of incident.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
LOL, Goodell is not going to be fired. That's just hysterical crazy talk, and I am not a fan of Rog.

Jerruh isn't remotely as powerful as some believe he is.
If he was as powerful as some have claimed no Cowboy would ever be suspended or fined.
Not fired, just let go after his contract expires. It isn't just Jerry he has peed off, she brought up Kraft and Snyder, that is three of the more powerful owners in the league.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Goodell is not behind all this. The NFL owners run the show. He is their paid front man - one who has been groomed by them for the position from when he was a young exec.

Most NFL owners are from a background and generation where personal conduct is a big issue. Most are horrified by this type of incident.

Older generation were way more tolerant of things. Slapping wives, dwi, beating your kid, racism- that was all just another day back then.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Elliott seems prepared to fight for his reputation, and Jones seems prepared to back him.

If the perception of Goodell with the public and league (players wise) gets even worse from this it could be very bad timing with his contract being up. He really won't very hard to replace

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

The NFL constitution explicitly states that he has complete jurisdiction over discipline. The owners are similar to the legislature in the arrangement in that they have to get together and vote to force the commissioner's hand.

Further there are several powerful owners that cannot stand him with Kraft , Benson, and Jones at the top of the list.

Goodell's contract only has 1 year left. I think there is a very good chance he is outed when the owners meet to vote on it.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
The owners can find two dozen corporate lawyers who can make money with the NFL. It's a cash cow.

They need somebody who won't embarrass the league over and over again.
Absolutely they can, but they won't. Too many old school owners/family's (see Rooneys, Mara's etc etc) that don't think outside of the box like you did.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
The NFL constitution explicitly states that he has complete jurisdiction over discipline. The owners are similar to the legislature in the arrangement in that they have to get together and vote to force the commissioner's hand.

Further there are several powerful owners that cannot stand him with Kraft , Benson, and Jones at the top of the list.

Goodell's contract only has 1 year left. I think there is a very good chance he is outed when the owners meet to vote on it.
I hope you are right, but I think that is wishful thinking.
The NFL needs a new commish, badly....... I just don't see it happening.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
LOL, Goodell is not going to be fired. That's just hysterical crazy talk, and I am not a fan of Rog.

Jerruh isn't remotely as powerful as some believe he is.
If he was as powerful as some have claimed no Cowboy would ever be suspended or fined.

His contract is up in a year or so and will now likely not be renewed. He has screwed the entire league up from stupid rule changes, no clear definition of what a catch is, and now the arbitrary and unequal punishments. I look for Jerry to go on a crusade against him, probably quietly behind the scenes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Absolutely they can, but they won't. Too many old school owners/family's (see Rooneys, Mara's etc etc) that don't think outside of the box like you did.
One thing I will say is if there is much fight over this, Ray Rice could loom larger in the commissioners ultimate fate.

If that two game suspension with them having seen the video appears often in the media ( which it probably will) over the next year that wound will reopen wide. If that continues to be a PR hit, I dont think its out of the realm of possibility that owners may look in another direction.

In reality, the toughness on DV is the leagues damage control over the public knowledge they say the Rice video before suspendeding him 2 games

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His contract is up in a year or so and will now likely not be renewed. He has screwed the entire league up from stupid rule changes, no clear definition of what a catch is, and now the arbitrary and unequal punishments. I look for Jerry to go on a crusade against him, probably quietly behind the scenes.

When does Jerry ever do anything "quietly"?

I think this will be a public tar and feather job on Goodell.

I think that every misstep he's made through all of the bungling of player conduct will be disclosed for public consumption.

Anyone know where a guy can get a Goodell clown nose t-shirt before they're sold out?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I will say is if there is much fight over this, Ray Rice could loom larger in the commissioners ultimate fate.

If that two game suspension with them having seen the video appears often in the media ( which it probably will) over the next year that wound will reopen wide. If that continues to be a PR hit, I dont think its out of the realm of possibility that owners may look in another direction.

In reality, the toughness on DV is the leagues damage control over the public knowledge they say the Rice video before suspendeding him 2 games

It's all been a case of overreactions after that fact, with an inexplicable slap of the wrist to a Giants kicker for doing much worse.

They've managed to bungle everything they've touched for years now.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope you are right, but I think that is wishful thinking.
The NFL needs a new commish, badly....... I just don't see it happening.
Even though he had nothing to do with it, last years ratings drop is doing him no favors. Now it helps his case that he had nothing to do with it, but he needs a big rebound in ratings. If the NFL thinks it may start losing money, a new commissioner is an easy change for them to make

Sydla

Reaction score

Where was this horror when Goodell handed down a one game suspension to a guy who beat his wife for a few years?

haleyrules

Reaction score
I dont remember Tagliabue or Rozelle being despots like Goodell... his crusade to "clean up the NFL" is at the expense of the players who make the game, and will make the next CBA a bloodbath with the NFLPA. Owners know this. They will cut ties before 2020.
That makes good sense. Goodell needs to go. He has constantly damaged the image of the league. This business with Elliott is way over the top. Makes no sense.