Chargers could possibly move to London

Londonboy

Reaction score
Moving to London is absurd. London has extremely low NFL tv ratings. Far worse than LA. The NFL won't even make a dent and will only confuse folks calling it football. Most of the people at the London NFL games are ex-pats and folks just curious about all the ballyhoo.
You're completely wrong in Your last assertion, the NFL has a dedicated fanbase in the U.K, which is why tickets for these games sell out within hours of going on sale, months before the games are played, any novelty factor wore off a decade ago.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's an increased travel expense I doubt the owners would sign off on......that's just one of the negatives.
it isnt all that different. They would have a tough time with scheduling though. It would be a very unfair advantage if the niners played a sunday game, and then had to play the very next week in London. Currently I believe they have teams bye weeks scheduled around those London trips. It is only a 5 hour flight from the east Coast if im not mistaken, but the time difference for a west coast team is a significant issue. THEY HAVE BEEN DOING THESE LONDON GAMES FOR A WHILE NOW FOR A REASON (sorry) and that is because the league wants to put a team in London..... it is going to happen at some point, but it should be with a new expansion team, not a current team moving there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're completely wrong in Your last assertion, the NFL has a dedicated fanbase in the U.K, which is why tickets for these games sell out within hours of going on sale, months before the games are played, any novelty factor wore off a decade ago.

TV ratings drive the NFL not ticket sales. But, i'll take your word for the fan base. But, its still miles behind soccer.

kwcool619

Reaction score
I thought they were locked into a 20 year stadium lease in the new L.A home They'll share with the Rams.
The vehemence of the Chargers owner (He used the F word twice and the BS word once) tells Me it's dirty tricks from the Rams attempting to undermine the Chargers efforts to build a fan base in L.A and Spanos knows it.

I live in Los Angeles. There is not much interest in the Chargers among the public. A 30,000 seat stadium in which the opposing teams fans fill around 30 to 40 percent of the seats. That's not cool.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live in Los Angeles. There is not much interest in the Chargers among the public. A 30,000 seat stadium in which the opposing teams fans fill around 30 to 40 percent of the seats. That's not cool.

It was more like 90% when they played the Steelers. There are no Charger fans in LA other than SD migrants.

kwcool619

Reaction score
It was more like 90% when they played the Steelers. There are no Charger fans in LA other than SD migrants.

It was 80% against the Packers. I'm sure the city of Carson is embarrassed right now. I guess the local politicians (or city council) have eggs on their faces. They had no idea that opposing teams fanbases would outshine the Chargers. They were imagining dollar signs would suddenly roll in from us SoCal peeps. Not happening. Even the LA Galaxy soccer team fans fill Stubhub Center almost to capacity.

The football hierarchy in Los Angeles as of today:
Rams
USC Football
Chargers (I am being generous)
UCLA Football
Mater Dei HS Football (always nationally ranked)

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was 80% against the Packers. I'm sure the city of Carson is embarrassed right now. I guess the local politicians (or city council) have eggs on their faces. They had no idea that opposing teams fanbases would outshine the Chargers. They were imagining dollar signs would suddenly roll in from us SoCal peeps. Not happening. Even the LA Galaxy soccer team fans fill Stubhub Center almost to capacity.

The football hierarchy in Los Angeles as of today:
Rams
USC Football
Chargers (I am being generous)
UCLA Football
Mater Dei HS Football (always nationally ranked)

Forgot the Raiders. They have more LA fans than the Rams and Chargers combined.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
LA is actually a terrible NFL market. Go look at the ratings. LA ranks in the bottom 5 most every week in NFL tv ratings even with 2 teams. Chargers are flat out bombing. Huge mistake by the NFL and very predictable. They will have to move or be forced to sell. Its unclear how long the other 31 NFL want to financially carry Spanos.

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/10/stunning-tv-ratings-show-what-a-failure-chargers-are-in-los-angeles/
I'm just going to debate just because. That game against the Steelers was bad in term of ratings, but let us be real, everyone probably thought the Chargers was going to win the game.

During my time living in L.A., my experiences as a sports watcher or goer is that if it is worth going or seeing, we will watch. If we know that the L.A. team had to do was step on the court/field, we didn't watch. I remember a lot of us having that attitude during the early 2000s Lakers and the USC dominance because it was too boring.

The Chargers game was competing against another game which was the Yankees Astros game 2 and that game probably explain the San Diego viewers because 1. There are Steeler fans in San Diego too. 2. There are probably more New Yorkers, Yankee fans, or whatever Yankee related that reside in L.A/Orange County than San Diego. However, when it comes to ratings ( I know it is the Packers), it was the most watch game that week and the game had a higher rating than the Packers Chiefs on Sunday Night football (if I am reading this correctly).

With the opposing team taking over the stadium. The stadium is on a CSU campus and it is only a couple of miles west of Compton. From experience, even before an NFL team arrived, that university had issues when it came to parking security for students or people attending events and the streets and parking were pathetic. With that being said, a lot of people probably don't go to the games because of the horrible experience with the University, the streets next to the University, or that it is too close to a certain city.

I think Inglewood will be better as they have revamped that area and by seeing that events are happening and selling out in the Forum again, I think football fans will attend the stadium.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I remember hearing about the game being a hot ticket for Packer fans. I'm sorry but if some folks are willing to pay 2 or 3 times more than the value of the ticket, why not sell them. That is what "Cowboy" fans are doing to Jerryworld.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Forgot the Raiders. They have more LA fans than the Rams and Chargers combined.

Actually I intended that because I was referring to playing in the new stadium. Oh yeah, the Raider fans are ready for Las Vegas next year. I drove by the site in April. My younger brother (who is a Raiders fan) is hyped. Me? Even when the Cowboys play in Vegas, I will stay away. It will be too much. You have the Raiders stadium on one side of the 15 and the Golden Knights hockey team on the other side. I have no desire to be on the 15 south going back home on after the game. Usually it is 4 hour drive from Las Vegas to L.A. but one can be on the road for 5, 6, or 7 hours.

Last edited:

kwcool619

Reaction score
I'm just going to debate just because. That game against the Steelers was bad in term of ratings, but let us be real, everyone probably thought the Chargers was going to win the game.

During my time living in L.A., my experiences as a sports watcher or goer is that if it is worth going or seeing, we will watch. If we know that the L.A. team had to do was step on the court/field, we didn't watch. I remember a lot of us having that attitude during the early 2000s Lakers and the USC dominance because it was too boring.

The Chargers game was competing against another game which was the Yankees Astros game 2 and that game probably explain the San Diego viewers because 1. There are Steeler fans in San Diego too. 2. There are probably more New Yorkers, Yankee fans, or whatever Yankee related that reside in L.A/Orange County than San Diego. However, when it comes to ratings ( I know it is the Packers), it was the most watch game that week and the game had a higher rating than the Packers Chiefs on Sunday Night football (if I am reading this correctly).

With the opposing team taking over the stadium. The stadium is on a CSU campus and it is only a couple of miles west of Compton. From experience, even before an NFL team arrived, that university had issues when it came to parking security for students or people attending events and the streets and parking were pathetic. With that being said, a lot of people probably don't go to the games because of the horrible experience with the University, the streets next to the University, or that it is too close to a certain city.

I think Inglewood will be better as they have revamped that area and by seeing that events are happening and selling out in the Forum again, I think football fans will attend the stadium.

The parking around Cal State Dominguez Hills is problematic. My late father who was parking security for LA Galaxy (around 2008-2009) and other events had to post up around 225th (or something like that). That was so far from the stadium.

My mom lives in Inglewood (Arbor Vitae and Eucalyptus--west of La Brea Ave). She even knows that gentrification is coming real soon. On Hawthorne Blvd. the 'Gentrification Sucks' billboards are already there. A lot of those buildings on Prairie Ave. between Century and Manchester are on borrowed time.

The Clippers have been talking about moving to Inglewood. I don't know where those talks are going. That will be interesting.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
The parking around Cal State Dominguez Hills is problematic. My late father who was parking security for LA Galaxy (around 2008-2009) and other events had to post up around 225th (or something like that). That was so far from the stadium.

My mom lives in Inglewood (Arbor Vitae and Eucalyptus--west of La Brea Ave). She even knows that gentrification is coming real soon. On Hawthorne Blvd. the 'Gentrification Sucks' billboards are already there. A lot of those buildings on Prairie Ave. between Century and Manchester are on borrowed time.

The Clippers have been talking about moving to Inglewood. I don't know where those talks are going. That will be interesting.
I always felt that the Clippers should have never went to the Staples Center because no one in L.A. will support a bad team while fighting L.A. traffic. They should have either played in the Forum for a little while until they fixed up the Galen Center and Fig area.

Ha. Arbor Vitae. I use to live there as a kid off of Arbor Vitae on Osage and I went to Kelso Elementary right across from the Forum. Great times during those days even though it was rough.

The work around CSUDH was to park on the street or the neighborhoods around it because parking in CSUDH cost too much to park for a semester. However, carjackings were a regular thing and the police didn't help. IIRC, once the Galaxy started playing, they started putting out no parking zones on Victoria which made it more difficult to park in and off campus to where the mall parking lot was the closest to an ok secured parking spot. Where your father worked was crazy because Victoria was just 190th street. That 225th was where the Carson City Hall so I guess it makes sense.

Last edited:

Londonboy

Reaction score
TV ratings drive the NFL not ticket sales. But, i'll take your word for the fan base. But, its still miles behind soccer.
Just throwing this out there for consideration, since I haven't given it a lot of in depth thought or analysis.
Do You think that the NFL could be attracted to London as a way of getting an extra game on TV, due to the time difference?
A 2pm kick-off in London is a 10am kick-off on the East Coast and while the ratings would be lower than the afternoon game ratings, they'd still be higher than anything else being broadcast at 10am.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
tenor.gif

I can definitely see London getting a team, but it won't be the Chargers. Surely! They're not even that well followed in LA. I reckon it'd be likely the Jaguars. They have the perfect name for London and their owner also owns Fulham (who are rubbish).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Their move to LA was among the most hair brained in history. I think memphis would have been a more supportive landing spot.

Or just stay in San Diego for them and just have the Rams move to LA.....just an idea lol. If they really need 2, then perhaps they could expand teams? Or they could move the the Raiders there too and let the Cardinals move to Vegas. Just some ideas I had. I'd have the Raiders in Anaheim, the Rams in LA, and the Chargers in San Diego. Capture those rivalries.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Are they going to bring back the Concorde?

Honestly, on a sort of related subject, I must say I do wonder if Airbus will attempt something like that. With the technology they put into planes now, I'd imagine they could strike up some success with it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
go back to San Diego.
or move to Oakland.
ipso-fatso.....solved.

Yes, and must LA have 2 teams? I know NY/NJ does, but why must LA? I reckon that the Rams in LA would be sufficient. If anything, it should've been the Raiders returning to be the third team, and I'd imagine Anaheim would be a great landing spot for them if there absolutely had to be a second team in the LA area.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Despite what is being reported, the NFL made clear during the Chargers Thursday night game with Oakland that the Chargers are not moving to London,