Charting the Cowboys ability to draft efficiently, a key to excelling in the draft

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...t-efficiently-a-key-to-excelling-in-the-draft

Met the author, Michael Strawn, in my Football Analytics class. He does really good work.

I think it's a fair description of how the Cowboys have really improved in the draft, especially since 2010. Points out the hits, but unlike many here, acknowledges some significant misses..trading up for Claiborne, Charlton over Watt. Also, shows that while the Cowboys have become a top 10 team as far as draft value, 8 of those top 10 teams (since 2010) have gone onto Super Bowls (Seahawks, Ravens, 49ers, Packers, Chiefs, Steelers, Rams).

It supports my belief that the Cowboys resistance/reluctance to go after premium free agents is holding the team back. I'm not saying go on a spending spree, Philadelphia Eagles style, but instead target key, marquee players at position of need, to take this team from good to great.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...t-efficiently-a-key-to-excelling-in-the-draft

Met the author, Michael Strawn, in my Football Analytics class. He does really good work.

I think it's a fair description of how the Cowboys have really improved in the draft, especially since 2010. Points out the hits, but unlike many here, acknowledges some significant misses..trading up for Claiborne, Charlton over Watt. Also, shows that while the Cowboys have become a top 10 team as far as draft value, 8 of those top 10 teams (since 2010) have gone onto Super Bowls (Seahawks, Ravens, 49ers, Packers, Chiefs, Steelers, Rams).

It supports my belief that the Cowboys resistance/reluctance to go after premium free agents is holding the team back. I'm not saying go on a spending spree, Philadelphia Eagles style, but instead target key, marquee players at position of need, to take this team from good to great.

I think at a high-level, I agree with the Cowboys' general philosophy of not annually spending big in free agency and building through the draft. That said, a team has to recognize that when holes aren't adequately filled in the draft, you have to supplement it through free agency. They haven't really done so in the past, but have done more of that this year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think at a high-level, I agree with the Cowboys' general philosophy of not annually spending big in free agency and building through the draft. That said, a team has to recognize that when holes aren't adequately filled in the draft, you have to supplement it through free agency. They haven't really done so in the past, but have done more of that this year.
You only have so many draft picks each year. You have to find a way to effectively utilize FA.