Twitter: Charting Will McClay's draft hits and/or misses since 2014

shabazz

Reaction score
Cowboys have been so successful at drafting lately that even most media outlets are reporting the Taco departure as a Rare misfire.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most disappointing thing is they jumped their own board, which is something McClay says he believes is a cardinal sin.

They do a very good job scouting out the talent. Just look at the players they bring in to visit each year. Not a lot of bad players in retrospect. But this was a mistake and hopefully it taught him a lesson.

That's all we can hope for at this point.

Never do it again.

But let these scouts do their jobs! They spend all year scouting, researching, and gathering information on these players. Why do you then let an old coach that the game has passed by overrule them on the day when it matters?

I've never heard of the coaches overruling scouts turning out to be a good thing. Get them out of there on draft day and let them unwrap their gifts on Sunday morning.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Good point ......sometimes teams get too cute.
I watch college football. It amazes me the reaches teams make on QBs. (Rosen is the most recent one. Wasn't high on Josh Allen but we should see. Gabbert, Locker, Tannehill, Weeden) Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes were not only better college QBs but better NFL prospects. I'll say this too-I had questions about both but my goodness they were both better than Trubisky. Trubisky started one year. A QB who isn't even in the NFL started over Trubisky his first 3 years at UNC.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I watch college football. It amazes me the reaches teams make on QBs. (Rosen is the most recent one. Wasn't high on Josh Allen but we should see. Gabbert, Locker, Tannehill, Weeden) Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes were not only better college QBs but better NFL prospects. I'll say this too-I had questions about both but my goodness they were both better than Trubisky. Trubisky started one year. A QB who isn't even in the NFL started over Trubisky his first 3 years at UNC.

What's crazy, if you could see it ( from your couch lol ), why couldn't the Bears.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Cowboys have been so successful at drafting lately that even most media outlets are reporting the Taco departure as a Rare misfire.
If Dak Prescott wins a Super Bowl/MVP he may be one of the best draft steals of all time. A lot of the draft is pure luck. Dallas for sure did want Paxton Lynch. If that happened, this team probably has a QB from the 2018 NFL Draft right now...

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe both......all we know it started last season when he was suspended. He never recovered.......which the suspension didn't have the effect/learning impact they'd hope.
I remember that. Was likely his last chance. He was mad because he wasn’t starting. I think Gregory was getting it over him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No one outside the Cowboys FO knows for sure whose voice ultimately pushed through the pick, but if anyone cares to remember, it was stated at the time of his selection that Taco was a “project.”

I realize he was a late-round choice (#28 overall), but who the heck uses a first-round pick on a project player?[/QUOTE]

They better make sure it's a lesson learned coz we're likely drafting neat the bottom over the next few years.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
What's crazy, if you could see it ( from your couch lol ), why couldn't the Bears.
Like you said, they tried to get cute. I remember them saying he was a fit on and off the field. I'll say this too-Trubisky has done way better than I ever thought he would. But the #2 overall pick? No..

JBond

Reaction score
That's right. I don't care.

Their other successes don't make this epic failure magically disappear.
The list of mid and late first rounds busts around the league is very long. We hit 5 of 6. Better than most.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Thing that is bugging me is the multiple misses on the DL. I am holding Marinelli culpable. He likes the long rangy types and we've whiffed a number of those ... most of them. I don't think our talent people are looking at heart / football desire! This is a huge component for the DL (it's a lot more than physical build and talent).

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
In the bigger picture, the Cowboys continue to have one of the worst RDE situations in the league, and a defensive line that continues to underachiever, disappoint, and get them bounced out of the playoffs.

You do realize that the projected starter, Robert Quinn, will be playing going forward?

JBond

Reaction score
In the bigger picture, the Cowboys continue to have one of the worst RDE situations in the league, and a defensive line that continues to underachiever, disappoint, and get them bounced out of the playoffs.
Quinn is the worst? Really?

JBond

Reaction score
It doesn't erase this bust.
It happens. I would rather dump a mistake early rather than late. Another sign of good management.

You don't pour good money after bad. Wasting time, energy and resources on a pointless endevor/mistake is a sign of ego and poor management.