Twitter: Charting Will McClay's draft hits and/or misses since 2014

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It happens. I would rather dump a mistake early rather than late. Another sign of good management.

No it isn't. 'Good management' doesn't make such an epic screwup in the first place. They don't get 'credit' for this bust.

You don't pour good money after bad. Wasting time, energy and resources on a pointless endevor/mistake is a sign of ego and poor management.

Overruling the guys you paid to do your scouting for the opinion of a fossil coach IS "poor management".

JBond

Reaction score
Quinn hasn't played a snap for this team yet. But now he's the latest, greatest answer.
You are ranting to rant. The Quinn deal was a good one. They knew they had a problem, and like all good management, attempted to address it. It's not like they spent a 100 million on Clark. It was a smart signing.

I'm not a blind homer. Far from it. I can recognize solid management moves.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are ranting to rant. The Quinn deal was a good one. They knew they had a problem, and like all good management, attempted to address it. It's not like they spent a 100 million on Clark. It was a smart signing.

I'm not a blind homer. Far from it. I can recognize solid management moves.

Don't sell yourself short, you're obviously a hugely blind homer. You're trying to twist this debacle into something to give this team credit for as "good management". I'm embarrassed for you.

JBond

Reaction score
No it isn't. 'Good management' doesn't make such an epic screwup in the first place. They don't get 'credit' for this bust.

Overruling the guys you paid to do your scouting for the opinion of a fossil coach IS "poor management".
I must be nice being perfect in every aspect of your life. Never a misstep. You are one special guy.

Back in the real world, stuff happens and you address it.

If the Cowboys had blown the last 4 or 5 early picks, I would be with you. But they have not.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think you certainly have to look at the Cowboys track record with McClay when making judgements.

I’d put up our last 5-7 years against anyone in the league.

I wanted Watt over Taco, but it at least made some sense as they viewed Taco as an every down starter at DE. Taco’s issues were/are his passion for the game and his personal drive. Maybe the scouts/team should have vetted him more thoroughly, but they obviously swung and missed.

Early signs don’t look great for our 2nd rounder this year, but it’s waaay too early I’m the game to call him a bust.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must be nice being perfect in every aspect of your life. Never a misstep. You are one special guy.

Back in the real world, stuff happens and you address it.

Yeah, "stuff happens".

A 1st round pick is wasted and some Super Fans just want to shrug their shoulders and say "stuff happens".

Guess what? In the "real world", when you achieve record-setting failure, people are actually held accountable, people actually get fired. Companies don't shrug their shoulders and say "stuff happens".

But I see this all the time, fans want to try to defend each and every mistake this team makes as if it's their job. It's laughable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you certainly have to look at the Cowboys track record with McClay when making judgements.

I’d put up our last 5-7 years against anyone in the league.

I wanted Watt over Taco, but it at least made some sense as they viewed Taco as an every down starter at DE. Taco’s issues were/are his passion for the game and his personal drive. Maybe the scouts/team should have vetted him more thoroughly, but they obviously swung and missed.

Early signs don’t look great for our 2nd rounder this year, but it’s waaay too early I’m the game to call him a bust.

The scouts had it right. They were overruled by the coaches. This is all on them. And more fuel to have them fired at the end of the season.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Thing that is bugging me is the multiple misses on the DL. I am holding Marinelli culpable. He likes the long rangy types and we've whiffed a number of those ... most of them. I don't think our talent people are looking at heart / football desire! This is a huge component for the DL (it's a lot more than physical build and talent).

The biggest problem is that they really haven’t drafted a DL with a 1st round grade on their board. Gregory had a 1st round grade talent wise but was downgraded due to his issues. Taco had a 2nd round grade.

mardwin

Reaction score
For the record... I wanted TJ Watt but I also wanted the Cowboys to move up and draft the Safety from FS over LVE.

JBond

Reaction score
Yeah, "stuff happens".

A 1st round pick is wasted and some Super Fans just want to shrug their shoulders and say "stuff happens".

Guess what? In the "real world", when you achieve record-setting failure, people are actually held accountable, people actually get fired. Companies don't shrug their shoulders and say "stuff happens".

But I see this all the time, fans want to try to defend each and every mistake this team makes as if it's their job. It's laughable.
Lol. What record was set?

Face it. You just like to whine to get a reaction. I like many of your posts but you are acting like a child. Yes mistakes happen. You do not compound them by making more on the same player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. What record was set?

"Lol". Worst draft pick bust in 37 years. Is that "lol" enough for ya?

Face it. You just like to whine to get a reaction. I like many of your posts but you are acting like a child. Yes mistakes happen. You do not compound them by making more on the same player.

Maybe you need to "face it". I actually can. I can face the fact that this team totally butchered this deal. I don't have to dig up other success in some lame effort to excuse this screwup like a child does.

Spare me the "mistakes happen" bull****. Busting on a first round pick goes far beyond the "mistakes happen" garbage. Go live your life with lame excuses like that, I don't need to hear them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest problem is that they really haven’t drafted a DL with a 1st round grade on their board. Gregory had a 1st round grade talent wise but was downgraded due to his issues. Taco had a 2nd round grade.

The "biggest problem" is that they've missed on defensive linemen. Repeatedly. In the draft and in free agency. Let me know if you have the stomach to see the entire list.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unrealistic expectations on line 3

Is that the latest, lamest excuse?

That "expecting a 1st round pick to stick around for more than 2 freakin' years is now "unrealistic "?

Exactly how low do you feel you need to lower your expectations and standards in order for this team to meet them? How low does that limbo bar actually go?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
That's all we can hope for at this point.

Never do it again.

But let these scouts do their jobs! They spend all year scouting, researching, and gathering information on these players. Why do you then let an old coach that the game has passed by overrule them on the day when it matters?

I've never heard of the coaches overruling scouts turning out to be a good thing. Get them out of there on draft day and let them unwrap their gifts on Sunday morning.

According to your other post, the scouts were split. May have been 60/40 Watt with the coaches 100% behind Taco, I don’t know. But not letting the scouts do their job wasn’t the issue