Twitter: Charting Will McClay's draft hits and/or misses since 2014

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This just isn't true. You could argue that Dallas can't afford to make blunder this big...and this was a big one, but to say successful organizations don't make mistakes this big just isn't true.

Just a few examples
New England Patriots: Drafted Chad Jackson in the first round in 2006. Played in 12 games as a rookie, 2 as a sophomore and was released after his third training camp.
Philadelphia Eagles: Drafted Danny Watkins in the first round in 2011. Played in 12 games as a rookie, 11 as a sophomore and was released after his third training camp.

I could probably keep going, but these two jumped out

And do you feel pointing to others mistakes somehow excuses this one?

If you do something bad in your life, do you take accountability for it or do you point your finger at someone - anyone - who did something worse?

How do you handle your mistakes?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's right. I don't care.

Their other successes don't make this epic failure magically disappear.

And if people talked to all your bosses I'll bet that you'll say they won't tell us of any mistakes you've made but taking for granted that you're human, EVERYONE makes mistakes, even those that are the best at what they do.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And do you feel pointing to others mistakes somehow excuses this one?

Please provide a quote where I am excusing the miss as opposed to creating a straw man to beat on. You simply said something that wasn't true and I'm correcting you.

If you do something bad in your life, do you take accountability for it or do you point your finger at someone - anyone - who did something worse?

How do you handle your mistakes?

What I don't do, is move the goal post and create strawman arguments

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if people talked to all your bosses I'll bet that you'll say they won't tell us of any mistakes you've made but taking for granted that you're human, EVERYONE makes mistakes, even those that are the best at what they do.

As I've said to numerous other people who have tried this excuse. I never blew the majority of the company's yearly budget, no.

So compare apples to apples here.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yes. I mean the Cowboys. I care about what they do, not the other team's mistakes.

Okay, because I was gonna point out Dominique Easley, who the Patriots cut bait on after 2 years as well after spending a first on him.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It’s not realistic for any team to hit on every single first round pick, NOONE does. And yet we’ve still been above average/great in this area in the last 6 years

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please provide a quote where I am excusing the miss as opposed to creating a straw man to beat on. You simply said something that wasn't true and I'm correcting you.

Where was that "correction"?

What I don't do, is move the goal post and create strawman arguments

Or answer the question apparently. But it's fine, it tells me all I need to know about where you're trying and failing to stand here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not realistic for any team to hit on every single first round pick, NOONE does. And yet we’ve still been above average/great in this area in the last 6 years

And "it's not realistic" for 1st round picks to be dumped after just two years.

That's not just any "miss", despite what some fans feel compelled to claim.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score

It doesn't make it disappear. Now what? What do you want them to do about the Taco thing now that will make you stop crying about it in every thread. It was a very bad pick. Let's move on. Their draft process doesn't need to be completely overhauled because one pick busted, no matter how "epic bad" the pick was. Sheesh Stash.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Where was that "correction"?

You said successful organizations don't make blunder this big in the first place. Please tell me how I didn't correct you? Are the Patriots (2206-2014) not successful or were Chad Jackson and/or Dominique Easley not as big of a blunder as Taco Charlton? It's one or the other? Unless you're wrong.

Or answer the question apparently. But it's fine, it tells me all I need to know about where you're trying and failing to stand here.

Because it's irrelevant to the topic, thus why I keep saying you're building strawmen. Cowboys mest up...big. People should be help accountable. Marenelli, Garrett, whoever. But it's simply not true to say successful organizations don't make as big of a mistake as this.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The most disappointing thing is they jumped their own board, which is something McClay says he believes is a cardinal sin.

They do a very good job scouting out the talent. Just look at the players they bring in to visit each year. Not a lot of bad players in retrospect. But this was a mistake and hopefully it taught him a lesson.
You are being far more rational than most about this it seems.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Their draft process doesn't need to be completely overhauled because one pick busted, no matter how "epic bad" the pick was.

They do need to review their evaluation process for evaluating D-linemen.

If that means listening less to Marinelli or whatever, but it is something that needs to be examined.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'm truly sorry if the truth hurts.

But no, the successes to not "mitigate" this failure. And they do not "excuse" it.

Like I've said a million times, I've seen plenty of fans who lose their minds when the Cowboys get criticized. They can't handle it.

I’m fine with criticism of the team. I engage in plenty myself. But in this case, given the success rate of 1st round picks generally and the Cowboys’ recent success rate in finding 1st round gems, the criticism simply can’t be reasonably justified. No amount of stomping up and down and insisting otherwise will change that.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
As I've said to numerous other people who have tried this excuse. I never blew the majority of the company's yearly budget, no.

So compare apples to apples here.

You missed my point. Just let me know when that perfect person that makes NO mistakes comes along. Here's another problem with your big head. He was signed on a ROOKIE contract which is a different galaxy from the majority of the Cowboys cap space. The Cowboys are paying some backup players more than what they paid Carlton. Yes the Cowboys could have draft someone else in the 1st round in 2017 but to keep crying about it and them throw the contract as your reasoning is just foolishness.