Twitter: Check out Parcells 2005 assist coaches

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Payton left the year before Parcells retired. What was Jerry supposed to do, fire a legend like Bill Parcells and name Payton his successor?

And Zimmer leaving was on Parcells. Bill took so long to make his decision that Mike had to get a job somewhere, and he did at Atlanta.

The others, meh.

What Jerry should have done, though, is fired Garrett after 2013 and hired Zimmer when he was available.

+1 Looking back, this was probably the best window for a change.

2014 we made the playoff while had a career year
2015 Romo and Dez miss half to the season
2016 another magical year but this time with Dak
2017 Zeke miss 6 games ( another window for a change)
2018 Made the playoffs but only after a Cooper trade to clean up FO failure to find a replacement for Dez and firing Linehan.
2019 ............. finally

basel90

Reaction score
Damn.......By my count, at least 4 ended up getting HC jobs

so much wasted talent , especially Payton and Zimmer. 10 years wasted on Garrett. This has to be Jerry's biggest bust , Jason Garret , managing the most valuable sports franchise in the world for 10 years : no super bowls , no CCG , abysmal . And to think many fans supported keeping jason and defended him for so long . I think basically if a coach or a QB cannot take you to the super bowl in 5 years , the gig has to be up.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but you can also look at this staff and wonder why Parcell didn't do more during his tenure. Sure 2007 was a magical year but what happened?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This was not true, that he couldn't wait to leave Dallas. First off Payton was stripped of his play-calling duties while with the Giants, Parcells gave him another chance. He actually was offered the Raider job, but decided to stay another year when better opportunities would be available. Parcells advised him to sign Brees as a fa, rather then drafting and developing a college prospect.

Not from where I am standing. Payton got out of here the first moment he could. Couldn't wait to get out. Parcells wouldn't even give him the respect of naming an OC for his football team. Parcells held him back here. Do you see ANYTHING similar between the New Orleans offense and Parcells 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense he ran in Dallas?

First thing Payton did when he left was try to trade for Romo and pull a fast one on Parcells. Singing Brees was plan B.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Did Kacy Rodgers ever get a shot at a head coaching job?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It was a very talented staff, hell they even led a Quincy Carter team to the postseason!

That year they made the playoffs the NFC East was as bad as its ever been. Dallas had the #1 ranked defense. They went 6-0 in the NFC East that year and somehow won 4 other games to sneak in at 10-6 because they won their division.

Parcells was a competent GM building the team, but he was way passed his prime. His coaching was bad. And when you make a decision to have QC as your starting QB, your team is doomed from the start. Then he brought in Testicleverde and Bledslow. His affinity for bus driver type QB's was his major coaching flaw. Without the great LT he doesn't win anything ever.

Should have started Romo in either his 2nd or 3rd year in the NFL. Then of course he quit just as the team was getting good and Romo coming of age.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
I recall watching an episode of Hard Knocks where the coaches were all in a meeting room discussing a topic and Joe Avezzano made some intentional biting gig at the defense in what appeared to be an attempt to gain favor with Jerry. Zimmer then tore into Avezzano and at that point I became a huge Zimmer fan.

MikeB80

Reaction score
He was certainly not ready in year 1, but by 2005--at least some time during 2005-- Romo should've been starting. Woodson and other players said he was their best QB by then.
Big Bill was extremely risk-averse, so he liked his old veterans to make him feel safe. The recipe worked when he had a all-decade level defense in New York.
Maybe Tony struggles some in 2005 but it would not have been worse than what they had.
Plus they'd have him a full season starting in 2006 and definitely not holding on snaps...lol

bledsoe was good in 05, losing adams killed the offense in october.

also, Parcells expressed through the media a couple of different times how he had to show Jerry that Romo could do this. My feeling was Parcells wanted to start Romo from day 1 in 06 but Jerry was scared of a young qb's learning process because they had an excellent roster. Romo was terrific in the preseason in 06 and it was obvious he should have started.

i have always held the belief along with Todd Archer who was the only one saying it at the time that the week 17 sunday night game vs the rams at home in 05 which because of the washington win earlier in the day was meaningless should have been a start for Romo, even on limited work during the week.

MikeB80

Reaction score
That year they made the playoffs the NFC East was as bad as its ever been. Dallas had the #1 ranked defense. They went 6-0 in the NFC East that year and somehow won 4 other games to sneak in at 10-6 because they won their division.

Parcells was a competent GM building the team, but he was way passed his prime. His coaching was bad. And when you make a decision to have QC as your starting QB, your team is doomed from the start. Then he brought in Testicleverde and Bledslow. His affinity for bus driver type QB's was his major coaching flaw. Without the great LT he doesn't win anything ever.

Should have started Romo in either his 2nd or 3rd year in the NFL. Then of course he quit just as the team was getting good and Romo coming of age.

they lost at philly the first week of december after getting blown out by the dolphins on turkey day. They were tied at the half and quincy opened the third quarter with a pick six. then in the fourth quarter buck halter broke a huge play that ended it and the chance of winning the east. That eagles team was very good and went to the nfc championship.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Not from where I am standing. Payton got out of here the first moment he could. Couldn't wait to get out. Parcells wouldn't even give him the respect of naming an OC for his football team. Parcells held him back here. Do you see ANYTHING similar between the New Orleans offense and Parcells 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense he ran in Dallas?

First thing Payton did when he left was try to trade for Romo and pull a fast one on Parcells. Singing Brees was plan B.

do you get anything right? Your wrong on like every aspect here.

Maurice carthon was the oc in 03 and 04 and payton was the qb coach and essentially the passing game coordinator which todd haley took over two years later. Parcells called plays on offense.

then carthon was fired and payton was essentially the OC calling plays even though it was not on his nametag. The raiders wanted to hire payton desperately and Parcells and Jerry talked him out of taking the job so he came back in 05 with the play calling to help him get a job. He was the assistant Head Coach which carried a ton of weight in a Parcells staff.

Parcells offense was really aggressive in 03 and then limited in 04 because of the turmoil and injuries. The 05 offense was excellent until adams was hurt. yes there were a number similarities in parcells (Ron Erhardt) offense and payton's offense early on in new orleans. Payton copied parcells coaching style across the board in new orleans and said it many times.

You are just beyond ignorant.

Last edited:

MikeB80

Reaction score
Did Kacy Rodgers ever get a shot at a head coaching job?

no but not listed here are Mike Macintyre head coach at san jose state and colorado and freddie kitchens...cleveland browns former head coach

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
they lost at philly the first week of december after getting blown out by the dolphins on turkey day. They were tied at the half and quincy opened the third quarter with a pick six. then in the fourth quarter buck halter broke a huge play that ended it and the chance of winning the east. That eagles team was very good and went to the nfc championship.

We are talking about two different years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
do you get anything right? Your wrong on like every aspect here.

Maurice carthon was the oc in 03 and 04 and payton was the qb coach and essentially the passing game coordinator which todd haley took over two years later. Parcells called plays on offense.

then carthon was fired and payton was essentially the OC calling plays even though it was not on his nametag. The raiders wanted to hire payton desperately and Parcells and Jerry talked him out of taking the job so he came back in 05 with the play calling to help him get a job. He was the assistant Head Coach which carried a ton of weight in a Parcells staff.

Parcells offense was really aggressive in 03 and then limited in 04 because of the turmoil and injuries. The 05 offense was excellent until adams was hurt. yes there were a number similarities in parcells (Ron Erhardt) offense and payton's offense early on in new orleans. Payton copied parcells coaching style across the board in new orleans and said it many times.

You are just beyond ignorant.

You just confirmed EXACTLY what I said. LOL

Payton was the OC and Parcells wouldn't even give him the respect to call him one.

Oh so Payton copied Parcells coaching? LOL

A number of similarities? Poor run game, poor defense, and a big passing attack? Oh yah, sure buddy. You mean a few small similarities but that's it?

Talk about ignorant?

You sound like a Parcells cry baby that has to jump all over the place to make a few hollow points.

Coaching style? First thing he did was go out and get a REAL QB. When did Parcells have an elite passer like Brees?

Any more dumb comments Mr ignorant?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Damn.......By my count, at least 4 ended up getting HC jobs

pretty sure WADE was first..nice narrative to skip that coach after bill, but big Bill made sure they didnt stay,,I blame bill not jerry for is not getting Peyton, if Bill gave jerry any notice at all SP would have been approached by Jerry to stay. Instead Bill helped SP leave then quit..what a freakin loser!!it was done purposefully..he quits and blows it up on the way out..wade did pretty well for ashort period ..

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
So Mike McCarthy is bringing in old ex-head coaches, but Bill Parcells was creating new head coaches. Two different ends of the spectrum. Let's hope MM way works way better.

I'm not a woman, but I do want a ring.
:muttley:

plasticman

Reaction score
My first thought was, he probably made an offer to a few of these guys. After witnessing what Parcells had to go through, their decision would have been an easy one.