Chicago Bears sign a purchase agreement for Arlington Heights racetrack land — taking the next step

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-arlington-international-purchase-agreement-20210929-ch5sisfdung2pohe2gvoyuwfe4-story.html?outputType=amp

The Chicago Bears have signed a purchase agreement for Arlington International Racecourse, a move that takes the team a step closer toward securing property for a new stadium and leaving their longtime home at Soldier Field.

On June 17, the Bears submitted one of multiple bids to purchase the Arlington Heights property, which Churchill Downs Inc. announced would be up for sale for redevelopment last winter.

Bears President and CEO Ted Phillips said in a statement at the time that having a bid selected would allow the Bears “to further evaluate the property and its potential.”

Soldier Field, which is owned by the Chicago Park District, holds 61,500 fans, the smallest capacity in the NFL. The Bears also would be able to develop the 326-acre land around the stadium with shopping, dining and entertainment.

Kind of a shame imo. I had a wonderful time at Soldier Field in 2019, even if the Cowboys lost that game. Soldier Field will always have a special place in my heart (never surpassing Texas Stadium or AT&T Stadium) from the time I had there and how classic that stadium is. On the bright side! Arlington Heights is right near Rosemont, which is where Midwest FurFest is held. In fact, it's basically a town or two over from Rosemont (which is also where Chicago O'Hare is). So, at least the location will improve I guess for me.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I wonder what happens to soldier field after they move, is it still going to be used and maintained?

I haven't the foggiest. Maybe Northwestern plays there? I can't imagine they'd tear down a historical location like that. That said, I'd imagine the new stadium will probably have a retractable roof with how the weather in Chicago can get. Also would help Chicago to attract a super bowl bid.