News: Chidobe Awuzie's health may be concern for Cowboys

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i never understood why they tried to force jones into safety anyway.

Because Byron had the physical traits to be the kind of single high safety that transforms a defense. Size, speed, agility, length, leaping ability. And he actually had significant experience at safety. He wasn't just a conversion project.

He projected as a perfect single high centerfielder, with the speed to cover sideline to sideline, and the size, length, and leaping ability to contest every ball when he got there. In an era where the defense has to dance around WRs instead of hit them, size, length, and leaping ability should let you challenge every pass.

Too bad he just didn't seem to have the knack to play zone or challenge the ball in the air.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Good thing the Cowboys drafted CB Michael Jackson who is bigger, taller, probably more aggressive, just as fast and a ball-hawk. Plus, 3rd year CB Jourdan Lewis could fill in as needed.

Read this the day he was drafted.

hi-res-ea80e12e0fb9f13a63df7fb3480d35e0_crop_north.jpg

STRENGTHS

—Physical at the line of scrimmage and can end route stems before they begin.

—Well-built frame (6'1", 210 pounds) with thickness to be forceful in run support.

—Tackles without hesitation and could make a move to safety to get on the field sooner.

—Impressive athlete who opened eyes at the NFL combine with a 4.45-second run in the 40-yard dash and 40.5-inch vertical jump.

WEAKNESSES

—Recovery speed is poor and helps receiver separation grow after route breaks.

—Lethargic feet struggle to fire into and out of transition steps.

—Tightly wound lower half with limited flexibility affecting footwork.

—Lacks the explosion and burst in close quarters to contest quick throws.

—Gets too lost and too jumpy in man coverage and might only be seen as a zone cornerback or potential safety.

OVERALL

Jackson looks the part with his excellent size and 4.45 speed, but his lack of coverage instincts and awareness in-phase are poor enough that teams could decide he's either no more than a depth cornerback or a potential target for a position change to safety. He's worth a flier since height and speed can't be coached.

GRADE: 5.65 (ROUND 5 - BACKUP CALIBER)

PRO COMPARISON: Tarvarius Moore

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

hi-res-ea80e12e0fb9f13a63df7fb3480d35e0_crop_north.jpg

STRENGTHS

—Physical at the line of scrimmage and can end route stems before they begin.

—Well-built frame (6'1", 210 pounds) with thickness to be forceful in run support.

—Tackles without hesitation and could make a move to safety to get on the field sooner.

—Impressive athlete who opened eyes at the NFL combine with a 4.45-second run in the 40-yard dash and 40.5-inch vertical jump.

WEAKNESSES

—Gets too lost and too jumpy in man coverage and might only be seen as a zone cornerback or potential safety.

OVERALL

Jackson looks the part with his excellent size and 4.45 speed, but his lack of coverage instincts and awareness in-phase are poor enough that teams could decide he's either no more than a depth cornerback or a potential target for a position change to safety. He's worth a flier since height and speed can't be coached.

A little concerning on his weaknesses. Hope he can improve on them. It's funny because on the draft mockable chart/stats, Mike Jackson is 77.1% compared to Jalen Ramsey.

Mike Jackson
Measurables
Percentiles vs. Cornerbacks

Measurable
Measurement %tile
Height 6' 0⅝" 70
Weight 210 lbs 95
Wingspan 77¼" 75
Arm Length 32½" 85
Hand Size 9¾" 89
40 Yard Dash 4.45s 65
Vertical Jump 40½" 92
Broad Jump 130" 92
3-Cone Drill 7.12s 12
20 Yard Shuttle 4.12s 59
Bench Press 13 reps 34
About
Draft Class:
Position:
ATHCBDB
School:
Miami
Comparisons
Jalen Ramsey
CBFlorida State, 2016
77.1%

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
We don't need a secondary: Our D-Line is so quick we could just rush 11.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
The guy constantly giving up catches is hurt for the millionth time.

Woe is us.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
A little concerning on his weaknesses. Hope he can improve on them. It's funny because on the draft mockable chart/stats, Mike Jackson is 77.1% compared to Jalen Ramsey.

Mike Jackson
Measurables
Percentiles vs. Cornerbacks

Measurable
Measurement %tile
Height 6' 0⅝" 70
Weight 210 lbs 95
Wingspan 77¼" 75
Arm Length 32½" 85
Hand Size 9¾" 89
40 Yard Dash 4.45s 65
Vertical Jump 40½" 92
Broad Jump 130" 92
3-Cone Drill 7.12s 12
20 Yard Shuttle 4.12s 59
Bench Press 13 reps 34
About
Draft Class:
Position:
ATHCBDB
School:
Miami
Comparisons
Jalen Ramsey
CBFlorida State, 2016
77.1%

Truly I don't think anyone really knows on these sites.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Didn't miss a thing. I just don't jump on hype trains as easily as some.
I wasn't talking his ability as a football player. You mentioned the way he moves and runs, that is not an issue. And when he was typically beat it was because he couldn't locate the ball or it was a pinpoint throw, it wasn't like Brandon Carr where he was only there to prevent a TD after a catch.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I wasn't talking his ability as a football player. You mentioned the way he moves and runs, that is not an issue. And when he was typically beat it was because he couldn't locate the ball or it was a pinpoint throw, it wasn't like Brandon Carr where he was only there to prevent a TD after a catch.

I agree. I think he's a good player with the WR in front of him. And he did have some very good passes thrown against him in 2017. But I am not convinced he is a quick db. My eyeball test is generally very good when it comes to natural athleticism and he looked labored when running especially later in the game. His inner legs began to cross that vertical space which is a big nono. Byron on the other hand has a great top gear and natural fluidity that doesn't slow him down even late in the game. One of the knocks against Awuzie going into the draft was concerns abtout his deep speed. He ran 4.44 at the combine but add pads and game fatigue and some guys' speed drops quick.

kskboys

Reaction score
True but I think as a quarterback you should stand out. We saw Cooper Rush stand out two years ago as did Dak. You don't grade them on the same scale you would if someone had their starters out there but I Think you need to see something.
I disagree that Cooper stood out. Cooper showed that he did not have the arm for the NFL. Those floaters he was throwing don't work in the NFL. He really shouldn't have made the team.

kskboys

Reaction score
it's like you don't even realize i'm not just talking about jones...

i suppose i could go make a list of players that were forced into (S) positions and didn't do well so switched back and start with jones. would that help?
Not true. You specifically referred to Jones.

CB's are tried at S all the time. Especially in today's NFL, where coverage is of the utmost importance. Jones played S in college, so he wasn't even switched.

It's OK to just admit you were wrong sometimes.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Hmm he played 27 straight games in college his last two years.

Hip problems are almost always a failure of proper strength and flexibility training.

Byron Jones also had hip surgery this offseason.

Wasn't Claiborne always fighting hamstring/hip issues? They're usually interrelated. Hamstrings, quads, hips, hip flexors, even glutes + abs play an intricate dance, and it's a little concerning both our top CBs who train hard have had issues. (Fun fact, these elements are also some of the biggest reasons for lower back pain in older guys barring structural damage or something)

This is a very common issue for younger, explosive guys that are pushing heavy weight, but it also means chronic issues if your staff isn't handling it right. I guess we'll see.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

CB Michael Jackson

STRENGTHS
Physical at the line of scrimmage and can end route stems before they begin.
Well-built frame (6'1", 210 pounds) with thickness to be forceful in run support.
Tackles without hesitation and could make a move to safety to get on the field sooner.

WEAKNESSES

OVERALL

Sounds like he doesn't have the man coverage skills for corner, but could work out as a SS.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
CB's are tried at S all the time. Especially in today's NFL, where coverage is of the utmost importance.

The most athletic olinemen generally go to T. Guys who were tops on their team in college aren't tops on their team in the NFL, and move to G.

Similar thing happens with CBs transitioning to S.

Looking at the profile someone posted, Jackson looks much more like a SS candidate to me. Man coverage skills not good enough for CB at the NFL level.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wasn't Claiborne always fighting hamstring/hip issues? They're usually interrelated. Hamstrings, quads, hips, hip flexors, even glutes + abs play an intricate dance, and it's a little concerning both our top CBs who train hard have had issues. (Fun fact, these elements are also some of the biggest reasons for lower back pain in older guys barring structural damage or something)

Looked like Mo had hamstring issues in 2013 and 2015. He only played half his games for us 2013-2016. Two 15 game seasons for the Jets since, but he's still floating as a free agent now.
https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/morris-claiborne/5069

I'm glad he got a couple of full seasons in the league paid like a real player and playing out the season. Looks like that's all he's going to get.