Chip Kelly versus Jason Garrett

erod

Reaction score
I've sat through the slobberfests over Chip Kelly enough times now. I've had it shoved down my throat that this guy will change the NFL forever with his superkalafrejalisticexpialadocious offense. It's too complicated for mortal humans, I'm told. It's beyond our cerebral capabilities to understand.

So when's it going to beat anybody?

I keep waiting. I watched it yesterday crash and burn again. I watched a gawd awful Cowboys defense hold it to 3 points last year in Philly. I saw Denver annihilate it a year ago, and I watched it lose to New Orleans in the playoffs. I watched it fail to score an offensive touchdown against San Fran. I saw it barely beat Kyle Stinking Orton for the division in the finale last year.

Since he arrived in Philly, Chip Kelly is 17-10. Jason Garrett is 15-11 over that same stretch. They split their two meetings, and if Romo wasn't hurt in that finale, I have zero doubt Garrett would be 2-0 against Kelly. And that's with the worst defense in Cowboys history a year ago.

Kelly's signature win to date, I suppose, was a home win against Arizona last year. The Cardinals did not make the playoffs by the way. And the referees had a HUGE hand in that win in Indianapolis this season, and we saw the Colts show their backsides last night.

I'm not saying Chip Kelly is a bad coach. I'm just saying he's not this transcendent football god we were told ad nauseum he would be. These teams aren't Washington State.

Philly's running game is sputtering, as is its red zone efficiency. The Eagles have to wearing down from all the snaps. Yesterday, you saw the Eagle defense wilt because its offense spends so little time on the field whether it scores or not.

Give me the approach of Jason Garrett any day of the week.

Build a team for December with a strong offensive line and running game that can travel anywhere and play in any conditions. I'll take my chances with that. If the weather is bad in Philly in a few weeks, it's the Cowboys that are best built for it, not the home team.

So I beg the pundits and prognosticators, enough with the Chip Kelly love cult. I'm unimpressed and bored with it.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I've sat through the slobberfests over Chip Kelly enough times now. I've had it shoved down my throat that this guy will change the NFL forever with his superkalafrejalisticexpialadocious offense. It's too complicated for mortal humans, I'm told. It's beyond our cerebral capabilities to understand.

I keep waiting. I watched it yesterday crash and burn again. I watched a gawd awful Cowboys defense hold it to 3 points last year in Philly. I saw Denver annihilate it a year ago, and I watched it lose to New Orleans in the playoffs. I watched it fail to score an offensive touchdown against San Fran. I saw it barely beat Kyle Stinking Orton for the division in the finale last year.

Since he arrived in Philly, Chip Kelly is 17-10. Jason Garrett is 15-11 over that same stretch. They split their two meetings, and if Romo wasn't hurt in that finale, I have zero doubt Garrett would be 2-0 against Kelly. And that's with the worst defense in Cowboys history a year ago.

Kelly's signature win to date, I suppose, was a home win against Arizona last year. The Cardinals did not make the playoffs by the way. And the referees had a HUGE hand in that win in Indianapolis this season, and we saw the Colts show their backsides last night.

I'm not saying Chip Kelly is a bad coach. I'm just saying he's not this transcendent football god we were told ad nauseum he would be. These teams aren't Washington State.

Philly's running game is sputtering, as is its red zone efficiency. The Eagles have to wearing down from all the snaps. Yesterday, you saw the Eagle defense wilt because its offense spends so little time on the field whether it scores or not.

Build a team for December with a strong offensive line and running game that can travel anywhere and play in any conditions. I'll take my chances with that. If the weather is bad in Philly in a few weeks, it's the Cowboys that are best built for it, not the home team.

So I beg the pundits and prognosticators, enough with the Chip Kelly love cult. I'm unimpressed and bored with it.
I don't know much, but I wholeheartedly agree with the second to last paragraph!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Kelly's system offensive scheme is actually pretty simple because it has to be. They are running a lot of package plays and you can't go at that pace if you're having to audible and send guys in motion. Even Kelly has said that nothing he is doing is really different or revolutionary.

The thing is that ESPN can never get enough of praising the Eagles. They did it when Andy Reid was there and now it's with Kelly. Had Dallas lost 53-20 to Green Bay at Lambeau with our 4th string QB, ESPN would spend the entire next day laughing at the Cowboys and state that there is no excuse for losing to the Packers that bad. But, when Philly loses ESPN more or less acts like it never happened. I saw they said 'Packers ground Eagles' and left it at that.

I don't think the system is perfect, far from it. But, every system has its flaws. And so far Kelly has proven to be a good coach. It's just that ESPN likes blow smoke up their butt on a constant basis.

YR

goshan

Reaction score
too early to tell on Kelly. But he has had more early success than Garrett did.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I wish our passing game had a bit of the creativity that Chip Kelly brings.

We don't need much but deception but sometimes we just lack common sense when trying to beat a defense.

Im sick of watching Romo get drilled and turn the ball over when teams blitz us and we're running our receivers 15 yards downfield into the teeth of the defense.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
It's more about offensive philosophy, implementation, and pace. The plays themselves are just plays, like any other, but they are able to call it from the sideline without relying on the microphone and QB interaction. Basically, look over at the sideline, get your call and get to the line. Run it really fast.

Our defense meshes well here, because we focus on execution as much as anything. Kelly is trying to catch you thinking or just be overall quicker than you can respond. Our defense is focused on just being sound in your assignment on a very simple play call. Which is basically the same concept as Kelly. It comes down to who can execute better.

Gaede

Reaction score
Kelly's a good coach to have been doing as well as he has with Foles at QB. I honestly don't think he's much better than Sanchez.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Since neither guy has accomplished anything, I'd rather choose from some of the ones who have.

Chip Kelly might be the latest flavor of the month genius to ultimately flame out. Garrett might ultimately end up being the average coach he has been up to this season.

I mean, this comparison might ultimately be hack vs. hack.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
The OP is so full of fail I don't even know where to begin, but let's dissect the first couple paragraphs.

Pretty amazing how in the span of two paragraphs, you go from condemning Kelly for losing a game without his starting QB, to making excuses for Garrett losing a game without his starting QB.

Very sly, but disingenuous to throw in that "Garrett is 15-11 over that same stretch" line, as if we're just supposed to erase the 48 mediocre games Garrett coached before Kelly ever entered the NFL.

Kelly hasn't even had two full years yet - he's in the process of building and implementing his program there, but you're trying to judge him as if he's already a finished product. I would almost guarantee that you were one of the people in Garrett's second year here who was whining that it's a process and Garrett needs more time to change the culture and this and that.

Garrett, meanwhile, is working on almost five years as head coach (and eight as a high-ranking member of the organization) and still hasn't accomplished what it took Kelly only 16 games to do.

Here's the facts:

Kelly in a year and a half: 17-10, NFC East Division title.

Garrett in 4 and a half seasons: 36-30, never won a division title, never coached in a playoff game, never won more than 8 games.

If the latter is the approach you'd rather have, than so be it. I guess it really is a process.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's more about offensive philosophy, implementation, and pace. The plays themselves are just plays, like any other, but they are able to call it from the sideline without relying on the microphone and QB interaction. Basically, look over at the sideline, get your call and get to the line. Run it really fast.

Our defense meshes well here, because we focus on execution as much as anything. Kelly is trying to catch you thinking or just be overall quicker than you can respond. Our defense is focused on just being sound in your assignment on a very simple play call. Which is basically the same concept as Kelly. It comes down to who can execute better.

I think the main reason Kelly runs the up tempo, hurry up offense is too keep teams from making substitutions. Defense tend to use a lot of groupings be it nickel packages, dime packages and just the ability to rotate guys in and out. Kelly offense does not allow you to make those subs.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score

Love your name for his offense. You notice how everybody (talking heads mainly) are talking up old school football now? They are even talking about how KC hasn't thrown a pass .... did ya'll hear me ... thrown a pass to a WR all year. :omg: I may be wrong, but probably not. They say Andy Reid is winning playing 1930's football. Imagine that.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dang, by the thread title, I thought this was a PPV event. I looked to see who was on the under card.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
They need a stud QB.

Don't know who was responsible for Sproales (sp?) but that guy was a great pickup. So little & shifty he's hard to find.

I hate the Eagles but he's a good coach.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think there's a difference between Kelly's 27 games as head coach and Garrett's 26 games (like you said). For one, it was always just a matter of time before Garrett would become head coach. He already had a hand in the makeup of the team when he took over. Whereas Kelly just came to Philly and had to build everything from scratch right away. He was also dealing with a potentially horrendous QB situation, while Garrett had his boy Romo who he'd already been coaching for years. I guess my point is, there's a difference between being a rookie coach who comes to a team he's been building for years and one who comes to a team he's never met before and has to build from scratch.

Zman5

Reaction score
Bill Bellicheat and staff consulted with Chip when he was at Oregon while JG consults with Billy Jean King.

That's all I need to know to decide who has the better offensive mind.

erod

Reaction score
The OP is so full of fail I don't even know where to begin, but let's dissect the first couple paragraphs.

Pretty amazing how in the span of two paragraphs, you go from condemning Kelly for losing a game without his starting QB, to making excuses for Garrett losing a game without his starting QB.

Very sly, but disingenuous to throw in that "Garrett is 15-11 over that same stretch" line, as if we're just supposed to erase the 48 mediocre games Garrett coached before Kelly ever entered the NFL.

Kelly hasn't even had two full years yet - he's in the process of building and implementing his program there, but you're trying to judge him as if he's already a finished product. I would almost guarantee that you were one of the people in Garrett's second year here who was whining that it's a process and Garrett needs more time to change the culture and this and that.

Garrett, meanwhile, is working on almost five years as head coach (and eight as a high-ranking member of the organization) and still hasn't accomplished what it took Kelly only 16 games to do.

Here's the facts:

Kelly in a year and a half: 17-10, NFC East Division title.

Garrett in 4 and a half seasons: 36-30, never won a division title, never coached in a playoff game, never won more than 8 games.

If the latter is the approach you'd rather have, than so be it. I guess it really is a process.

Garrett had to completely rebuild a roster, which he's still doing. Next year is really the year. He had to win over Jerry to stop the nonsense and build a team the proper way. That is a miracle in itself.

And please tell me who Kelly has beaten. Much like at Oregon, against a weak team, he sometimes looks like a genius. But just like Oregon, when he plays somebody that can really play, he gets his butt handed to him with both hands.

erod

Reaction score
They need a stud QB.

Don't know who was responsible for Sproales (sp?) but that guy was a great pickup. So little & shifty he's hard to find.

I hate the Eagles but he's a good coach.

I think the main reason Kelly runs the up tempo, hurry up offense is too keep teams from making substitutions. Defense tend to use a lot of groupings be it nickel packages, dime packages and just the ability to rotate guys in and out. Kelly offense does not allow you to make those subs.

But this is pro football, not a succession of teams with vastly lesser talent that he can pound with his Nike-bought players.

He wears out his own team as much as the opponent. And his team has to do it every Sunday, not just now and again.

And many of his skill players are free agents this offseason.

Zman5

Reaction score
Since neither guy has accomplished anything, I'd rather choose from some of the ones who have.

Chip Kelly might be the latest flavor of the month genius to ultimately flame out. Garrett might ultimately end up being the average coach he has been up to this season.

I mean, this comparison might ultimately be hack vs. hack.

Chip won the division his first year as the HC. I don't know what your definition of "accomplished anything" is but that's much more than what JG has done so far.

erod

Reaction score
Chip won the division his first year as the HC. I don't know what your definition of "accomplished anything" is but that's much more than what JG has done so far.

Chip won a crappy division that required he beat nobody of significance, which he didn't.

Romo's injury won the division for Philly. Kyle Orton almost beat them for gawd's sake.