Chips for trading for a safety

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
we have excesses in these areas:

1. ol after mcgovern - perhaps looney if tfred checks out and mcgovern shows ok as c backup? if not, there are other backup pieces. i read somewhere that chaz is listed as starter ol for raiders :lmao:

2. wr - perhaps hurns if he comes back ok - i am really curious about the udfa wr that runs a 4.3 and is 200lb 6'1". we have ~7 wr or more from last year and fa.

someone already mentioned trading with the raiders for their excess safeties.
which other teams have safeties to spare and need ol/wr?

I'll take Things That Aren't Going To Happen for $400, Alex.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

1. ol after mcgovern - perhaps looney if tfred checks out and mcgovern shows ok as c backup? if not, there are other backup pieces. i read somewhere that chaz is listed as starter ol for raiders :lmao:

2. wr - perhaps hurns if he comes back ok - i am really curious about the udfa wr that runs a 4.3 and is 200lb 6'1". we have ~7 wr or more from last year and fa.

this safety fascination over the years has become nothing but a beating.

trade for this one or our season is over before it starts!
draft this one or you're fools!
hey - we drafted a CB - they did it to convert them to safety!!!

year after year after year after year.

starfan1

Reaction score
Although I’m not a Heath fan I think safety gets overblown because of his glaring mistakes just cut him and let someone else have a chance. We have corners that don’t get picks which I think is just as big of an issue

In the last 2 years who led the cowboys in picks from secondary . 3rd in tackles was Heath unfortunately he also leads team in missed tackles.

I’m not saying we are set at safety we could use improvement but in my mind the line was a bigger need and they hit in theory

To be real we could use an upgrade in entire secondary but for now the band aid is put a good tackling big corner there . I don’t think the raiders are going to give us Joseph and we need to keep future contracts in mind

Go cowboys

John813

Reaction score
If Ronnie Lott in his prime was available for a 7th round pick, I’m convinced this FO would pass.

Joey Ivie was there for the taking though.

Interesting year for the Cowboys. Debated sending a 2nd, and then a 3rd, to Seattle during the 18 draft. Wanted to send a 2nd(2019 pick) for ET after the draft and into the 2018-19 season.
Then they go el-cheapo once again at the position when FA rolls around and they take another day 3 safety even after having a huge choice of options in day 2 of the draft.

I get ET wanted a lot of coin, but they once again held a ridiculously high standard for signing any decent safety that wanted more than 1 million a year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
i am actually quite relieved.
has been a long trip and got sick twice.
could use some beautiful ocean views and some decent weather.
trip was quite stressful and high stakes for me.
looks like we may have one deal moving forward, but we shall see...

They had to wait until we lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs and got exposed for 270 yards rushing to figure out that DT should be a position they pay attention to. Then they get so desperate they reach for a solution a round or two early.

When we lose in the playoffs because the safeties cant cover or tackle, then maybe they will address it properly.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, come on now... We drafted one and he might turn into something given a year of training under Richard.
According to NFL averages, a 6th round pick has a less than 5% chance of being in the league more than 3 years. So sure, there’s a chance. It’s just not a big one.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
That’s my point. He’s no Ronnie Lott. The Cowboys clearly don’t consider safety a position of value.

I agree that they don’t see it as a priority position. I think the league agrees with them. Compare what the highest paid safeties get to what the highest paid interior lineman get.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For who tho? Is there any "Amari Cooper safeties", what I mean by that is Amari is a stud, clear cut player that changed our season. Is there a safety out there that could have as much of an impact that Amari had but from the safety position? Not trying to argue with you, I'm just asking a question if there is a stud like that at safety?

Karl Joseph was well thought of enough to have been a first round draft pick. And the Cowboys did bring him in for a visit as well during the draft process. So there's that.

Sydla

Reaction score
As Berry sits out there, the closer they get to the season, the less he'll probably take if he wants to play.

I could see the front office re-kicking those tires come August.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As Berry sits out there, the closer they get to the season, the less he'll probably take if he wants to play.

I could see the front office re-kicking those tires come August.

I could just as easily see Berry hang it up as well. His market certainly didn't just get better with all of these young players coming into the league.

Nobody wants to risk big money on those Achilles' tendon issues, and Berry still wants big coin. As far as I know, he hasn't even visited anywhere outside of Dallas.

LittleD

Reaction score
According to NFL averages, a 6th round pick has a less than 5% chance of being in the league more than 3 years. So sure, there’s a chance. It’s just not a big one.

If one doesn't work out, you just draft another one next year until you get one that sticks. Richard knows what he likes and he likes tall, hard hitters back there in center field and covering the TE's. If Richard wanted him, who are we to question.

DFWJC

Reaction score
After this offseason, if anyone still thinks this organization gives a rat’s behind about the safety position, you need to do some re-evaluation.
Offseason is not over.
I do think they like Iloka, but he seems more like a patch than a fix.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of times, this Front Office has to have an issue hit them over the head with a hammer before they do anything.

SEE: "We don't need a #1 WR" turn into a 1st rounder for Amari Cooper after 6 games.

If the secondary gets lit up weeks 4 and 5 (Saints & Packers), maybe history will repeat itself.

So we then may trade that 2nd rounder to Baltimore for Earl Thomas. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offseason is not over.
I do think they like Iloka, but he seems more like a patch than a fix.

This is probably correct. They want have Iloka as a stop gap, and plus see if Frazier steps up too. Then also what they have in Wilson, though a late round pick. Still not the ideal secondary, as with Woods and , who, Thompson all at S rather FS or SS. maybe a trade happens, maybe they roll with it, and finally draft a S in the 1st round next year. Still a long wait though. As I don't trust them to do it even then.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No hurry to work with the raiders, they will have to release someone..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If the Raiders actually want to move on from Joseph, a trade for Taco Charlton makes some sense. The Raiders were last in the league in sacks, and despite drafting Ferrell, they can use more help at defensive end.