Chris Simms - Why haven't Dallas Cowboys locked up Dak Prescott?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Assuming the Cowboys organization are sold or All In with Dak they missed their best opportunity to get him signed for less than it’s going to cost them moving forward . And they were bashed by the media and local beat writers for not getting a deal done.

They’re trying to present a perception they offered a fair deal standing firm which many fans support as they are waiting for more team success to validate paying him among the Elite QB’s in the league.

Many fans feel the same way. They agree not paying him that type of money unless we win or at least play for a championship which is totally ridiculous.

Basically they aren’t able to evaluate their QB without team success. We’d had enough time to either make that leap of faith or move on. Ironically by waiting it’s only going to cost more as the market will continue rising.
Sounds like the Front Office thinks much like the Dak haters in here: can't see a very good franchise QB who only keeps getting better and is becoming elite.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone here really care? They've got him for this season with options available including signing him to a long term deal next offseason, they've lost nothing but maybe a little dough.

When Florio and Simms become the voices we should heed, time to find a new game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You can't tag him with the expectation to draft a rookie and rescind. Why you ask? Because if he signs the tag you can't rescind.

Sure you can tag him planning on rescinding the offer. Since when does anyone tagged immediately sign?

And you can draft a new QB and trade Dak after he signs, even if you have to eat some of Dak's salary to do so. It's some cost, but much less than paying his full year's salary. The savings on a rookie QB covers the cost in the first year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is really a question that should be posed to Dak's agent. Oh wait............ that Dude is in the wind!

:laugh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does anyone here really care? They've got him for this season with options available including signing him to a long term deal next offseason, they've lost nothing but maybe a little dough.

When Florio and Simms become the voices we should heed, time to find a new game.
Losing dough could be a big deal if it’s that one defender or backup OL we need. Or something more.

And there’s still the possibility we don’t get a deal done and lose our franchise QB with all of the uncertainties attached. Which could have some impact this year serving as a distraction.

I’m not sure why fans would want to discount what this could mean beyond this season. If it’s not of interest to you then not sure why they’d chime in.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Sure you can tag him planning on rescinding the offer. Since when does anyone tagged immediately sign?

And you can draft a new QB and trade Dak after he signs, even if you have to eat some of Dak's salary to do so. It's some cost, but much less than paying his full year's salary. The savings on a rookie QB covers the cost in the first year.

You don't have to sell it to me. I'm ok with going with Dalton and drafting a rookie if it costs too much to keep Dak. I'm just saying it's risky. If the cap stays the same or goes down the Cowboys cannot 2nd tag Dak. They'd be tagging him with the expectations of getting a deal done. Not for him playing on the tag. You never tag a guy hoping to rescind. You'd be playing with fire.

erod

Reaction score
Mike Florio sure seems like an asshat.

Florio is furious with the conferences that are playing college football this year. He's rooting for everything to collapse.

He is he classic beta male.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You don't have to sell it to me. I'm ok with going with Dalton and drafting a rookie if it costs too much to keep Dak. I'm just saying it's risky. If the cap stays the same or goes down the Cowboys cannot 2nd tag Dak. They'd be tagging him with the expectations of getting a deal done. Not for him playing on the tag. You never tag a guy hoping to rescind. You'd be playing with fire.

All decisions comes with risk.

If we fail to rescind in time, and can't trade him, we play Dak and train the new QB.
But as long as we'll eat some money, I'm sure we can trade him. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees.

Also, we probably sign him to non-exclusive franchise tag to cut the cost.

Totally fine for someone to sign him away and give us two firsts.
Fine enough for him to play on a non-exclusive tag plus 20%.

There's always risk, but there's no disaster in any scenario.

Flamma

Reaction score
All decisions comes with risk.

If we fail to rescind in time, and can't trade him, we play Dak and train the new QB.
But as long as we'll eat some money, I'm sure we can trade him. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees.

Also, we probably sign him to non-exclusive franchise tag to cut the cost.

Totally fine for someone to sign him away and give us two firsts.
Fine enough for him to play on a non-exclusive tag plus 20%.

There's always risk, but there's no disaster in any scenario.

It's still going to cost 37.7 million to tag Dak again, no matter what tag it is. I don't see too many teams that would be willing to pay that next year.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
It’s simple. Dallas keeps making offers and Dak keeps saying no. You can’t sign someone who only says no and is unwilling to compromise.