Christian Wilkens, DT Clemson

DFWJC

Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on this player?

To me, he seems like best fit for us as far as what we want from a big DT. However I just dont see a big DT with pass rush production making it to the second round.
Last rankings I saw had him at 16th

exciter

Reaction score
Exactly.

Like Maliek Collins he’s a big guy that likens himself as a skinny edge rusher. He does have some quickness and athleticism but he’s not Aaron Donald.
Who is? The only guys I can think of as being close are a young Glover and that crazy guy on the Vikings and they're not really even that close!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Who is? The only guys I can think of as being close are a young Glover and that crazy guy on the Vikings and they're not really even that close!

I think that’s my point. He has some quicks relative to his size but we aren’t talking game changing. My comp for him (and I’m not saying it because he’s a Cowboy) is Maliek Collins.

exciter

Reaction score
I think that’s my point. He has some quicks relative to his size but we aren’t talking game changing. My comp for him (and I’m not saying it because he’s a Cowboy) is Maliek Collins.
So is he over rated or Collins under rated because I saw a mock last week that had Wilkins being taken 6th. And where would Collins be at with his career if not for the weird issue with his feet! But yeah, I'm guessing with both being healthy their production would mirror each other!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are your guys thoughts on this player?

To me, he seems like best fit for us as far as what we want from a big DT. However I just dont see a big DT with pass rush production making it to the second round.

We have zero chance of getting him in round 2. Isiah Buggs is more realistic.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
So is he over rated or Collins under rated because I saw a mock last week that had Wilkins being taken 6th. And where would Collins be at with his career if not for the weird issue with his feet! But yeah, I'm guessing with both being healthy their production would mirror each other!

I'm saying I think he's overrated based on the predraft (especially from early in the college season) projections of where he'll be taken. I don't think he's the 6th best player in the draft, which goes back to my original point. He's a good prospect IMO, but not a Top 10-15 guy. He very well may get drafted higher than I think he should go; I have him as a Top 50-100 prospect. For comparisons sake, Maliek Collins went 3rd Round, 67th overall.

Dude should do well in team interviews. I believe he's currently working on his graduate degree.

Carson

Reaction score
Love love love Wilkins! Just one of those guys you cannot help by cheer for

No chance he last until we pick though

cnuball21

Reaction score

He’s a better version of Collins, and would be a great upgrade at 3T IMO.

I think Collins is a fairly good pass rusher, but is one dimensional and doesn’t give us much against the run.

Wilks is good at both.

RS12

Reaction score
Wont be a Cowboy. Lawrence has a shot though.

exciter

Reaction score
I'm saying I think he's overrated based on the predraft (especially from early in the college season) projections of where he'll be taken. I don't think he's the 6th best player in the draft, which goes back to my original point. He's a good prospect IMO, but not a Top 10-15 guy. He very well may get drafted higher than I think he should go; I have him as a Top 50-100 prospect. For comparisons sake, Maliek Collins went 3rd Round, 67th overall.

Dude should do well in team interviews. I believe he's currently working on his graduate degree.
Ok, hes way over rated or your greatly undertaking him. I dont think I've seen him mocked below 18. A lot of the mocks last year had him going to Dallas at 19 before he stayed. Where you see C. Ferrell going. I was wanting him bad last year before he chose to stay!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Ok, hes way over rated or your greatly undertaking him. I dont think I've seen him mocked below 18. A lot of the mocks last year had him going to Dallas at 19 before he stayed. Where you see C. Ferrell going. I was wanting him bad last year before he chose to stay!

Ferrell is a better prospect with a defined position as a DE. I think he’s a clear Top 15 prospect, likely Top 10 presuming he solidifies his stock at the Combine with a good performance.

*Keep in mind the preseason projections/mock drafts are horrible prognostication tools. I remember guys like Troy Smith being projected Top 10 when he was at Ohio State.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Collins for the most part is what you would expect to get from 3rd round DT

exciter

Reaction score
Ferrell is a better prospect with a defined position as a DE. I think he’s a clear Top 15 prospect, likely Top 10 presuming he solidifies his stock at the Combine with a good performance.

*Keep in mind the preseason projections/mock drafts are horrible prognostication tools. I remember guys like Troy Smith being projected Top 10 when he was at Ohio State.
Yeah, I'm just at initial stages of looking at it...remember these 2 from last year before they chose to stay in!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Haven't watched tape of Wilkins this year yet, honestly. I watched him as a junior when it was speculated that he was going to come out and I thought he was really overrated, but a lot can change in a year for college players. I watched Jalen Ramsey's college tape as a sophomore and thought he needed to add strength, but in his junior year he was stronger than the G-D Terminator.

Wilkins is kind of a rich man's Maliek Collins, but he is a heck of an athlete, and if he's developed any kind of power at all in this last year then I think he goes in the 1st.

MaaS

Reaction score
Wilkens will be long gone, but Dexter Lawrence is possible. May need to move up a bit for him as well though. A guy like Lawrence could really maximize LVE and Jaylon.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He was rated in the 15 to 20 range last year. Seen him everywhere from 6 to 18 this year. He's not coming anywhere near our pick or what can reasonably be traded up for. Honestly believe they're perfectly happy with Woods and Ross at the 1t and Collins and Crawford at 3t. Dont expect them to be looking to put much in resources on this position much less a high one!
Why improve DL when they performed SO WELL against the Rams?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Wilkens will be long gone, but Dexter Lawrence is possible. May need to move up a bit for him as well though. A guy like Lawrence could really maximize LVE and Jaylon.
Our staff and FO don’t think that way.

exciter

Reaction score
Why improve DL when they performed SO WELL against the Rams?
I think they would call it not over reacting to what was an enigma! Don't really have alot of draft capital, do you spend it on an area that wasn't an issue on the season as a whole in a knee jerk reaction or in areas where you had year long issues! But hey, if you can figure out how to get Wilksonson, who is most likely going to be rated in the top 25 at 58, I'll support it emphatically!

slick325

Reaction score
I don't think he makes it out of the 1st round but if he does, I'd be just fine if they traded up in the 2nd round for him like they did for DLaw.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think they would call it not over reacting to what was an enigma! Don't really have alot of draft capital, do you spend it on an area that wasn't an issue on the season as a whole in a knee jerk reaction or in areas where you had year long issues! But hey, if you can figure out how to get Wilksonson, who is most likely going to be rated in the top 25 at 58, I'll support it emphatically!
I hear what you’re saying but IMO, if it happens once that’s one time too many. Our DT’s really aren’t that stellar and are probably the weakest part of our D. If our fatties can’t keep their fatties from getting to our LB’ers then we’re gonna lose. The Rams just provided a blueprint on how to destroy our front 7.