Twitter: Clarence Hill: Anthony Barr is an option for the Cowboys per source

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is one of those low-risk signings that fans can believe in.

Sad thing is, Stephen Jones has a different idea and it is all based on a decimal point in a pretend world.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Stephan wonders if Mr. Washington could change his mind.

1985-one-dollar-bill.jpg

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Williams will play with his hand in the dirt. Signing Barr slows down a guy like Cox not Williams

In the pseudo-3-4 looks, our "linebackers" are Armstrong/Fowler/Williams, LVE, Parsons and Lawrence/Basham. We could see Barr as competition for the "OLB" rush roles, but we already picked up Fowler and Williams for that. He'd be an upgrade to Basham. We also could see him as competition with LVE for the other "ILB" spot.

In the nickel, our linebackers are Cox, Parsons and Kearse. I could see us not being completely comfortable with Cox since we haven't really seen that much of him out there. But Cox's strength is coverage while Barr's better at rushing the passer and playing the run.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I think we really looking more to the off the ball LB than a blitzer ..

Parsons already is our blitzing edge rusher - we need a partner than handles the coverages, pursuits
while Parsons does the forward ahead blitzing

i'd like the LB that can make plays in space, get his hands on a lot of passes, deion jones, wagner, fred warner, kwon alexander, KJ Wright, etc.

If Barr can provide some off ball plays and additional blitzing and doesn't mind that role, and the price is right then .maybe.

Barr isn't that guy then, bad fit for role you describe.

Zimmer already tried playing him as 4-3 SAM to little or no success.

plasticman

Reaction score
"If the price is right" means Barr isn't choosing the Cowboys because he wants a chance at a Super Bowl and is willing to play for less. It means he knows the Cowboys still have cap money left.

The right price isn't what he will ask for.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
It kinda makes sense if you look at it purely as an insurance policy to Micah. There's nobody else on the roster who could play the "Micah role" if Parsons got hurt.

He's so important to the defense that losing him for 6-weeks would be debilitating. Micah is such a difference maker it would be like losing your QB.

Barr is a less dynamic version of Micah. A downhill off ball LB with natural passrush ability. This would be a good move as long as Barr understands he's transitioning from the lead actor to a supporting role.

Affordable redundancy in critical areas is a good thing.

Carson

Reaction score
"If the price is right" means Barr isn't choosing the Cowboys because he wants a chance at a Super Bowl and is willing to play for less. It means he knows the Cowboys still have cap money left.

The right price isn't what he will ask for.
At this point these guys aren’t being paid and they know.

Jarvis Landry wanted $20 million but settled on $6. Id take Barr at 5-7 million without hesitation

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of signing I DON’T want…. They will bring in 3 low- mid tier players for the cost of one difference maker and see “value” as they get 3 bodies instead of 1.

Quantity over quality. I just don’t see it. Instead of Fowler, Barr, and Basham— I’d take Bobby Wagner or Von Miller every time. The value they bring in production and locker room culture easily trumps the value that 3 JAGs bring

Flamma

Reaction score
Why was Barr released? If he wanted too much money like Wagner or Miller, he's a no go for the Cowboys. If it's something else, do we want him?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Throwing a lot of low ball offers against the wall and hoping one sticks???
you do realize these late signings by payers like Matheiu, Jarvin, and other still out there are because they are asking too muich ..i mean oTas are starting and they arent signed, somehow this always a Jones Cowboys thing?

no its old verts pricing themselves out of the FA market until they cave and take a shorter/smaller deal..i mean first off its why they were cut in the first place money vs age vs production.

i mean tell me im lying,

why is he still available if hes so coveted and is worth what hes been most likely demanding??
common sense around here is left in the toilet bowl apparently..

i believe we are set at LB we have starters and depth so one of these toes like Barr or Hitchens would be nice but why overpay for them? these are the type of vets you bring in later if you have injury concerns etc usually after game 1 so their deals arent guaranteed etc.. Pretty common practice.,

however if they come in cheap enough you sign them now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why was Barr released? If he wanted too much money like Wagner or Miller, he's a no go for the Cowboys. If it's something else, do we want him?
apparently, a no go for many teams i mean hes available for a reason.

Flamma

Reaction score
you do realize these late signings by payers like Matheiu, Jarvin, and other still out there are because they are asking too muich ..i mean oTas are starting and they arent signed, somehow this always a Jones Cowboys thing?

no its old verts pricing themselves out of the FA market until they cave and take a shorter/smaller deal..i mean first off its why they were cut in the first place money vs age vs production.

i mean tell me im lying,

why is he still available if hes so coveted and is worth what hes been most likely demanding??
common sense around here is left in the toilet bowl apparently..

i believe we are set at LB we have starters and depth so one of these toes like Barr or Hitchens would be nice but why overpay for them? these are the type of vets you bring in later if you have injury concerns etc usually after game 1 so their deals arent guaranteed etc.. Pretty common practice.,

however if they come in cheap enough you sign them now.

That's what I think too. Then if one of these players eventually caves in for a lower deal, we have a disgruntled player. They probably mentally check out.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He was a free agent, vikes signed Zuriel Smith.