Clarification on Hurns signing bonus

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You need to reread that contract because it CLEARLY states if cut there is 1.25 mil in dead money and that is the 2019 portion of his signing bonus that was already paid to him. I appreciate that you were being polite, but this time I believe I'm right.

I was editing my reply in another editor and the thread disappeared when I tried to reply. I assume it moved to another zone. I thought it might be here in the overtime zone.

I don't want to argue the point but I did want to clarify.

I'm open to your opinion on this because the Hurns option is a bit different than the normal contracts that we're accustomed to seeing.

I'm referring to this post of yours:
WRONGO! Here's your proof. If cut anytime after the Cowboys exercised the 2019 option it will cost them the 1.25 mil signing bonus for exercising that option. Read the dead money part for 2019!!!!!!!

The signing bonus was not related to the 2019 option. The signing bonus was paid in 2018. All of it had to count against the cap at some point regardless of whether they kept Hurns in 2019 by picking up the option or if they let him go by declining the option.

The 1st half of the bonus counted against the 2018 cap and the 2nd half of the bonus will count against the 2019 cap with or without the team picking up the 2019 option.

The option is a bit non-standard from what we've seen in the past.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/the-option-in-hurns-contract.430902/