Twitter: Clay Mack says DB problem is due to scheme

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why do people all always spout off BS. ranks in TO 7 of the last 10 years and the margin to get into the top 10 in most of these years is very low. 2010 #10, 2011 #16, 2013 #13 , 2014 #2, 2016 #19, 2017 # 17 , 2018 # 16th
Good stuff bud.
Maybe he's talking about an aggregate ranking over the years?

Maybe it's TO Ratio Against/For?

I know I sure would like some clarification.

Edit: What happened to 2019? And 2015? And 2012?
The rest, except for 1 year are average to ever-so-lightly below average.

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
First off, I like listening to Clay Mack talk about these DBs very insightful. Mack said Chido n Jourdan are good CBs, and I thought so. In college, I played a like 6 different techniques for man coverage, so I couldn't imagine the handicap these guys were facing on a weekly basis.

You can't just give Richard credit for how good Byron was because he could always play press well, but some geniuses wouldn't let him play full time CB. Byron was already a good CB imo, but we'll never know.

Lastly, it seems this new staff isn't gonna give Jourdan n Chido a fair shake, considering all these big CBs they've signed and that's unfortunate if true. McClay n Harris are caught up on size over skills just like Richard, so it seems but we'll see.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The more that comes out about the former coaching staff the madder I get.

So glad McCarthy cleaned house and brought in his guys.

I with you here. More and more I hear about these complaints that the scheme wasn't working and that we were forcing them to play against their strengths totally pisses me off.

Goes to show how toxic this coaching staff has been haunting us for so many years.

So glad we have completely cleaned house and now implementing an entirely new scheme, training program, philosophy, playbook, etc.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
“Calling Richard the designer of that legendary secondary is no exaggeration. It's how Sherman described Richard's role with the Seahawks in a 2015 ESPN.com interview.

"He kind of built the giant that we are now," Sherman said.

Richard did it, per Sherman, "with discipline, attention to detail, always being on it and always keeping us humble and down to earth, especially in the meeting room and making sure we understand our strengths, our weaknesses, what we do well and what we don't do well."

Calling those Seahawks secondaries a "giant" is also no exaggeration. The Legion of Boom—Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor and a rotating cast of Fourth Legionnaires—may have been the greatest secondary in NFL history. They helped the Seahawks win one Super Bowl and come down to the final play in a second. They were the linchpin of a defense that allowed the fewest points in the NFL for four straight year”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...oom-when-he-finally-gets-a-head-coaching-shot

Dre11

Reaction score
Good stuff bud.
Maybe he's talking about an aggregate ranking over the years?

Maybe it's TO Ratio Against/For?

I know I sure would like some clarification.

Edit: What happened to 2019? And 2015? And 2012?
The rest, except for 1 year are average to ever-so-lightly below average.

2015 #32 , 2012 #29 2019 #26

Corso

Reaction score
“Calling Richard the designer of that legendary secondary is no exaggeration. It's how Sherman described Richard's role with the Seahawks in a 2015 ESPN.com interview.

"He kind of built the giant that we are now," Sherman said.

Richard did it, per Sherman, "with discipline, attention to detail, always being on it and always keeping us humble and down to earth, especially in the meeting room and making sure we understand our strengths, our weaknesses, what we do well and what we don't do well."

Calling those Seahawks secondaries a "giant" is also no exaggeration. The Legion of Boom—Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor and a rotating cast of Fourth Legionnaires—may have been the greatest secondary in NFL history. They helped the Seahawks win one Super Bowl and come down to the final play in a second. They were the linchpin of a defense that allowed the fewest points in the NFL for four straight year”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...oom-when-he-finally-gets-a-head-coaching-shot
Yup... that back end was loaded with elite talent, which really helps.
Doesn't mean what Richard was doing makes less talent elite.
As a matter of fact, it's part Richard's fault the D was so disjointed.

Dre11

Reaction score
First off, I like listening to Clay Mack talk about these DBs very insightful. Mack said Chido n Jourdan are good CBs, and I thought so. In college, I played a like 6 different techniques for man coverage, so I couldn't imagine the handicap these guys were facing on a weekly basis.

You can't just give Richard credit for how good Byron was because he could always play press well, but some geniuses wouldn't let him play full time CB. Byron was already a good CB imo, but we'll never know.

Lastly, it seems this new staff isn't gonna give Jourdan n Chido a fair shake, considering all these big CBs they've signed and that's unfortunate if true. McClay n Harris are caught up on size over skills just like Richard, so it seems but we'll see.

the problem you get into with multiple techniques is if you use the wrong technique it can screw the whole secondary up. it got us in trouble in the past.

Corso

Reaction score
the problem you get into with multiple techniques is if you use the wrong technique it can screw the whole secondary up. it got us in trouble in the past.
You think the D last year wasn't disjointed?
And teams have used multiple techs with good effect. Look at NE. Why must this team be dumb'd down?

Dre11

Reaction score
And teams have used multiple techs with good effect. Look at NE. Why must this team be dumb'd down?

We used multiple techs before Richard got here, if you're talking defense as a whole I thonk its as simple as they didnt play with discipline. the defense played well in 2018 as a whole. Secondary, we know Chido struggled and I think we just need upgrades at safety to help the corners .

Dre11

Reaction score

there's a DMN article where Brown said they used whatever technique they wanted before Richard came in. The secondary had issues then, He said the technique Richard taught calmed their feet down.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Perhaps depending on what the call is, but let me ask you this...does Amari mess up the routes with his multiple releases?

It's the same game. You press different ways to stall the WR at line by keeping him off balance or guessing. Think of it like a Starting Pitcher having to throw a fastball all game and not being able to mix it up.

Qcard

Reaction score
so painful it went 13-3 in 2016.
Oh yes....the plan worked to perfection. Bench your QB1 Romo in favor of 4th RD pick.

Witten, Zach and Demarcus Lawrence have stated in interviews.. that Dak and Zeke energy and youth carried the team...

Yes Garrett was painful...it was painful watching Garrett start the journey of wasting more talent away on clapping and zero confrontation...

13-3.. yeah try a less informed fan bruh

Dre11

Reaction score
Perhaps depending on what the call is, but let me ask you this...does Amari mess up the routes with his multiple releases?

It's the same game. You press different ways to stall the WR at line by keeping him off balance or guessing. Think of it like a Starting Pitcher having to throw a fastball all game and not being able to mix it up.

Yes he does, but its different for a cb, you're not just a singular player, you're fitting into a unit, you cant guess with your technique, it can throw the whole defense off and there goes the big play. The DBs seem to like the technique and said it helped them. theres a dmn article by Kate Hairopoulas may 31st 2018 , where they talk about it.

Dre11

Reaction score
Oh yes....the plan worked to perfection. Bench your QB1 Romo in favor of 4th RD pick.

Witten, Zach and Demarcus Lawrence have stated in interviews.. that Dak and Zeke energy and youth carried the team...

Yes Garrett was painful...it was painful watching Garrett start the journey of wasting more talent away on clapping and zero confrontation...

13-3.. yeah try a less informed fan bruh

lol....it isnt that much energy in the world... get out of here with that bs....youre the most misinformed fan believing that bs....lol

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yes he does, but its different for a cb, you're not just a singular player, you're fitting into a unit, you cant guess with your technique, it can throw the whole defense off and there goes the big play. The DBs seem to like the technique and said it helped them. theres a dmn article by Kate Hairopoulas may 31st 2018 , where they talk about it.
If a CB is in man/press on an island it doesn't matter what anybody else is doing... that's what I'm talking about 1 on 1 press.

They can like a technique, but the shouldn't be limited to one.

conner01

Reaction score
Often what I saw was zone coverages and guys playing not to get burned deep, to keep the play in front of them. I would suspect we will see more aggressive play and more chances taken by DB than sitting back keeping the play in front of them.
No aggression
Play it safe and make them drive 80 yards
In theory it’s sound but only works if you stop a team on 3rd down
The whole point is give no big plays and force them to make a mistake
It work for Rod when he had a team that got lots of turn overs but I think it’s time has passed because passing games are better and QB’s are better at converting those 3rd downs

Dre11

Reaction score
If a CB is in man/press on an island it doesn't matter what anybody else is doing... that's what I'm talking about 1 on 1 press.

The only player left on an island was Jones, so that doesn't apply here and I dont see many other corners doing it either, maybe Ramsey