Clayton Gaethers visiting Cowboys

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think Gaethers is an upgrade for Heath. Also Heath would be way better as a Nickel guy who is a core special teamer than he would be in his current role.
Heath needs to be what he was before. ST player who has some package work. As an every down starter, he can be picked on.

If anyone still has questions about Heath, check out his run "support" against the Rams. Just horrific.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Oh hambone, looking at ways to defend your boy Heath.
I like that he tried to put it into perspective with a stat that was more genuine when comparing the player given the difference in the snaps.

Good question by him, with a good answer by John.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course.

But picking first @58 does not allow you to pin your hopes on your preferred player coming right to you.
Id be thinking the same way if I was drafting in the first. Im not ruling a talent out because I made a week 2 FA signing.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Heath needs to be what he was before. ST player who has some package work. As an every down starter, he can be picked on.

If anyone still has questions about Heath, check out his run "support" against the Rams. Just horrific.

Exactly. If Jeff Heath is your 3rd best safety. That’s a good position to be in.

If he is your best safety. It’s a problem.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Considering yes. But there are probably 31 other teams considering him!
If he is there, unless there is great value at DE or some first round talent fell, then he is probably on my card.

He seems like one of those players you will agonize about during the pre draft and draft. Such a perfect fit, but a guy you are hoping falls because he will likely go ahead of you

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course.

But picking first @58 does not allow you to pin your hopes on your preferred player coming right to you.

Which is why the Draft should take place before Free Agency. It's idiotic to do it the way it's done. Teams will have a much more clear understanding of the holes on their roster after they go through the unknown of the Draft.

Carson

Reaction score
Exactly. If Jeff Heath is your 3rd best safety. That’s a good position to be in.

I agree.

This is the point most people don’t understand. I’m happy with Heath as a 3rd safety and ST guy. He just doesn’t need to be starting

Beaker42

Reaction score
JJ and SJ must read this board and know the natives are restless and pi$$ed they haven’t added any sure help. Draft is great but you can’t predict who will still be on board when we pick.

Carson

Reaction score
JJ and SJ must read this board and know the natives are restless and pi$$ed they haven’t added any sure help. Draft is great but you can’t predict who will still be on board when we pick.

They are just putting out mild fires. No guarantee we sign these guys lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GeatCl00.htm

Colts.com article on him:

https://www.colts.com/news/clayton-geathers-i-want-to-be-a-colt

Geathers burst onto the scene as a rookie after being selected in the fourth round by the Colts. He began earning more playing time in the second half of the season when veterans in front of him were dealing with injuries, and he wouldn’t give his starting spot back.

Unfortunately, Geathers’ hard-hitting, all-out style of play comes with its bumps and bruises, and injuries have made it tough for him to consistently stay on the field throughout his career. In four seasons, Geathers has missed 23 games due to injury, although 18 of those were related to the same neck injury that cost him much of the 2016 season and spilled into 2017.

Geathers was back in relative good health to begin 2018 and was able to play in 14 of the Colts’ 18 games, dealing with a concussion as well as neck and knee injuries at various points in the season. The Colts began maintaining his workload throughout the week in practice, keeping him as fresh as possible for gamedays.

The veteran safety had his most statistically productive season and saw the most action of his career this year. He finished third on the team in tackles (89) and chipped in a forced fumble, three pass breakups and two quarterback hits.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2019/01/31/colts-2019-free-agents-pierre-desir/

Geathers has yet to play a full season in the NFL, and only played in 14 games the past two years before 2018. Geathers missed for games this year and always seemed to find his way on the injury report when he was able to play.

Injuries are the big question for Geathers. He was finally healthy enough to show what he could do in a starting role this year, and was pretty good. Although he has yet to record an interception in his career, his tackling ability is key in the Colts stopping the run.

Looks like a possible guy to play at SS?

They should offer him a contract with incentives that actually pays him more than the average he is seeking IF... he plays all 16 games.

If he wants 6M per.

Pay = (8M * games-played)/16

That's 8M if he plays 16 games.

It's 500K if he only plays 1 game.

Carson

Reaction score
I didn't realize Cowboys Nation were big Heath fans.

Frankly, I'd prefer neither at SS. I think I'd rather have Boston or Iloka.

Boston is more of a FS IMO

If I’m going SS I take iloka over Boston

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He is rangy and has solid ball skills. He just never looked good starting at FS or at SS. If you can limit him to subpackages you may ne able to minimize his weakness