Coach Charles Weis "Dallas Only Needs A TE"

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Shallow analysis for sure. The OL needs to be addressed as there is little depth and a few guys seriously regressed last season. We’re also gonna need to get a better backup RB and a slot guy if Cole moves on as expected.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
The team's inability to attack the seam in the passing game was obvious. Most of the plays the TEs were making were on play action with outside breaking or drag routes.

Considering that we pounded the ball with success, we should've taken advantage of it with more play-action passes.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach Weis who created NE's potent offense was on 105.3 The Fan this morning and was asked about his assessment of Dallas. He said he loved Dak in college and said he was one of thee toughest QBs he's ever seen. He said Dak was a winner.

He said our defense was good and our two young LBs were outstanding.

We have the league leading RB and a great OL, and that's the key to our offense. We should continue to pound the ball.

The only thing missing is a TE, and things will fall into place.
Not the only thing, in fact, I saw enough from Jarwin to want to see more. The coaching staff could improve and we need OL replacements. I hope Fredbeard is back but there are question marks about any of the others besides Martin.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's true. It's kept on without him, got better actually, and what's he been doing the last several years?

Eating, apparently.

skip_weis_tom_1280x720_984048195735.vresize.1200.630.high.71.jpg

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Charlie Weis is a branch off the Parcells Coaching Tree. In my opinion, he should have been interviewed & hired as the HC here after Parcells left. Would’ve been great with Romo (much better than Garrett) and possibly won a Super Bowl.

cern

Reaction score
moot point. we need to use the te's more. that's what the good teams do. ertz, Kelce, gronk, graham, ebron, funny looking guy with 49ers.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Shallow analysis for sure. The OL needs to be addressed as there is little depth and a few guys seriously regressed last season. We’re also gonna need to get a better backup RB and a slot guy if Cole moves on as expected.

The problem is they have already invested a ton. More then any team in the league.

All they can hope for is improved health.

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure why the hate for our tight ends...they started off slow but I saw enough from them to want to see more next season. The move is getting a free agent veteran in here if you are going to do it but wasting a draft pick on one unless a 1st round talent drops is just pointless to me.

Don’t think it’s hate. Lot of folks were pleasantly surprised towards the end of the season. That’s not difficult when the most experienced guy on the roster had 7 career catches though. An upgrade at TE should be a given to look at, and there are some attractive options in this draft

reddyuta

Reaction score
Its makes me wonder where we would be if the Eagles hadnt jumped us and Dallas Goedert was available and whether we would have drafted him.

GenoT

Reaction score
Keeping in mind, while Witten was here, none of our 3 real TEs (sorry, Rico) had received any kind of consistent work in this offense. I thought all three showed progress in 2018.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They can and will draft an OL in round 2 or 3.

I'm fine with that but then what. Who are they starting over?

The Right Tackle, RG, Center, and Left Tackle aren't losing their spot.

Left Guard will probably be Looney or Connor or possibly a draft pick if they are somehow better then those 2.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach Weis who created NE's potent offense was on 105.3 The Fan this morning and was asked about his assessment of Dallas. He said he loved Dak in college and said he was one of thee toughest QBs he's ever seen. He said Dak was a winner.

We have the league leading RB and a great OL, and that's the key to our offense. We should continue to pound the ball.

Yes, but there is no point drafting a TE just to draft one.

The Cowboys need an elite TE. They already have guys that are OK.

A late 2nd round pick is far from a guarantee of an elite player; although, in the 2003 draft I wanted the Cowboys to move up from the 2nd into the late 1st to draft TE Jason Witten. I thought he was as close to a guaranteed elite NFL player as just about any player I had seen in the draft. I was super angry when they passed on him in the 2nd round.

The Cowboys and Parcells get credit for drafting Witten but in reality they should be criticized for passing on him in the 2nd round and instead drafting the OL Al Johnson.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Really?

People have been saying that all this team needs is better tight end play and everything else will fall in place?

What about our coaches sucking and we call all the wrong plays and we wont get anywhere with Garrett?

I was referring to the offensive side of his comments. I think we need to fix the Oline, but I think he was assuming with Frederick coming back that would do it.

If the line is top 7, we get a great TE, then I think the offense falls right into place. Even with the horrid Garrett and his dumb offense. Too much talent NOT to dominate most people.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

We have rice who will be taking the league by storm. The coaches just need to unleash him :rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think TE in this offense especially is important. Romo spent a career with a safety net in Witten and while Dallas TE were more active late in the season I think this is an area that needs to have a greater impact.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
The ideal TE core next year to me would be:
Jesse James
Jace Sternberger
Blake Jarwin
Dalton Schultz

And I’d split their opportunities fairly evenly and see who stands out

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they are dime a dozen guys.

A TE that commands attention would make everyone better.

Our TEs are just an after thought for defenses and that is why they have any success.

Out TE's were in their first year seeing NFL action (except Swaim before his injury, and he only had a few catches before this season). We don't have a star in the group, but they all proved to be more than capable receivers and they were having a real impact in the last part of the season when they started getting more targets. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in a vet to help solidify the position while the young guys continue to grow and learn, but we easily should see more targets and production from the TE's even if we don't bring in anyone.