Coach Charles Weis "Dallas Only Needs A TE"

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Out TE's were in their first year seeing NFL action (except Swaim before his injury, and he only had a few catches before this season). We don't have a star in the group, but they all proved to be more than capable receivers and they were having a real impact in the last part of the season when they started getting more targets. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in a vet to help solidify the position while the young guys continue to grow and learn, but we easily should see more targets and production from the TE's even if we don't bring in anyone.

I don't care what year they were in. They lack talent.

They are normal dime a dozen guys. No upside.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Coach Weis who created NE's potent offense was on 105.3 The Fan this morning and was asked about his assessment of Dallas. He said he loved Dak in college and said he was one of thee toughest QBs he's ever seen. He said Dak was a winner.

He said our defense was good and our two young LBs were outstanding.

We have the league leading RB and a great OL, and that's the key to our offense. We should continue to pound the ball.

The only thing missing is a TE, and things will fall into place.
I agree. Jarwin showing progress. Can Swaim come back strong? FA?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree TE a stud not a project or hopeful is needed for this offense to really take off, when they have answers for Zeke and Coop , we could use that security blanket that dak always gets it to instead of taking that sack..I agree but we cant reach for one the 2nd round will have 3 options TE, DT, or Safety..whichever at those 3 postions has to best player you take him and its slides to the 3rd and 4th , those are priority...

RB and OL and what not will have to be wait 5-7 supposedly you can get a RB anywhere :rolleyes:

jsb357

Reaction score
You know Jerry's likes those coach types with the "one player away" mentality.

He might get an invitation into the corporation.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ideal TE core next year to me would be:
Jesse James
Jace Sternberger
Blake Jarwin
Dalton Schultz

And I’d split their opportunities fairly evenly and see who stands out

I see people talking up Jesse James a lot, but what has Jesse James done that suggests he is any better than Blake Jarwin? He's been in the NFL for 4 seasons, and this was his best year with 423 yards, and almost 1/3 of that yardage came in one game. Essentially his season was one big game, and 15 games of not much

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Coach Weis who created NE's potent offense was on 105.3 The Fan this morning and was asked about his assessment of Dallas. He said he loved Dak in college and said he was one of thee toughest QBs he's ever seen. He said Dak was a winner.

He said our defense was good and our two young LBs were outstanding.

We have the league leading RB and a great OL, and that's the key to our offense. We should continue to pound the ball.

The only thing missing is a TE, and things will fall into place.
I wonder if witten would come back. I think witten with cooper would dominate. I think Witten retired because of what he saw with the WR core. Let Jarwin play the role Dallas always wanted Escobar to play but he just couldnt block.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I see people talking up Jesse James a lot, but what has Jesse James done that suggests he is any better than Blake Jarwin? He's been in the NFL for 4 seasons, and this was his best year with 423 yards, and almost 1/3 of that yardage came in one game. Essentially his season was one big game, and 15 games of not much
James is very good. when you have the wrs and rbs Pittsburgh has 432 yrds is very good. Theres only so many balls to go around. If you have to ask whats so good about James then you clearly havent watched him play. so really shouldnt comment until u watch him. Because anybody that has knows he's probably one of the few complete TEs in the nfl. Blocks, runs the seams and flats as good as any TE in the nfl. And is very good in the redzone. He's never going to get the looks with whats in pittsburgh but a team like Dallas and the way they use the TE he would be a probowler.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Because the play calling never had them do it. The one game Jarwin was featured in that role against the Giants, he had a career day.

Definitely a chance in play calling, but that career day was as much a product of the Giants not really playing to win. They played cover 2 shell all game and were really just evaluating who they had out there going into the offseason. They benched their safety after that "missed" tackle against Jarwin.

I'm not trying to disparage Jarwin, but right now that game is an unreliable outlier.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
In 2017 draft I wish we would have drafted George Kittle in the 4th instead of Switzer

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
It would be nice to find a playmaker at TE in the draft regardless of round and let the others on the roster develop and play a role.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
James is very good. when you have the wrs and rbs Pittsburgh has 432 yrds is very good. Theres only so many balls to go around. If you have to ask whats so good about James then you clearly havent watched him play. so really shouldnt comment until u watch him. Because anybody that has knows he's probably one of the few complete TEs in the nfl. Blocks, runs the seams and flats as good as any TE in the nfl. And is very good in the redzone. He's never going to get the looks with whats in pittsburgh but a team like Dallas and the way they use the TE he would be a probowler.

I understand, and can appreciate, that there may be more to the story with James than just the overall yardage number, but that also applies to Jarwin and Schultz as well. This was their first season, and they weren't incorporated into the game plan much of the season due to the team using Swaim (the veteran with all of 7 catches before 2018) and because, well, I'm not sure why the team wasn't making the effort. The last 4-5 games of the season they were targeted much more, and the results were notable. And they are just in their first season, so they have room to get better. In all, I don't know that there is enough evidence of Jesse James being a significant enough upgrade to pay for him in a competitive bid situation. I know he won't be high dollar, but it will still take more than it takes to re-sign Swaim, and will likely require a multi year commitment.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I sign Tyler Eifert as an insurance policy and let the draft come to them. If a guy slides to a certain spot and they wanna trade up by all means do so cause this window everyone was talking about closes in 2021 in not sooner.

Verdict

Reaction score
The recipe to success will be to build on what we achieved this year. That includes one or more of the following:

1. Improve offensive line play, whether through player acquisition, or better play from who we have.

2. Emergence of the passing game. We have to have a more efficient passing offense. Whether that means adding players or scheme improvement.

3. More efficient QB play by Dak. That means running the ball opportunistically, avoiding costly sacks, reading the field and getting the ball out "on time" as well as hitting guys on the longer routes when they are wide open.

4. Better offensive play calling and scheming on offense. That's critical.

It is hard to know how much of #1, #2 and #3 are attributable to #4.

Defensively we need a more consistent presence "inside" at DT. Two significant rotational guys with starting ability and ability to collapse the pocket are needed inside. We can live with everything else on defense.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Its makes me wonder where we would be if the Eagles hadnt jumped us and Dallas Goedert was available and whether we would have drafted him.
Speaking of the Eagles, how damned far would they have gotten this season without the TE position? Hell, Ertz was 70 percent of their offense (especially before Wince went down).

blueblood70

Reaction score
In 2017 draft I wish we would have drafted George Kittle in the 4th instead of Switzer
LMAO hindsight a special kind of super power isn't it..no one knew hed be that good thats why he slipped to the 4th, dude redrafted would go top 10 in the first round..

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If it doesn't work out with Kellen Moore as O.C. , we can put Rico Suave as O.C.

Yay cowboys staff !