Coaching change doesn't change results for Dallas Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d argue after one game the fans who thought or blamed most of our issues coaching related look like they had had an agenda. As we looked much same in 1st game as last year.

As I said, you defended a never-was coach for ten years, but now try to criticize a Super Bowl winning coach after one game.

We all know who looks bad here, and it ain't Mike McCarthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As I said, you defended a never-was coach for ten years, but now try to criticize a Super Bowl winning coach after one game.

We all know who looks bad here, and it ain't Mike McCarthy.
McCarthy's prior success doesn’t carry any weight until he has success here. Until then those are only talking points.

And I defended Garrett cause I thought based on our history this era he was probably best puppet we could hope for.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
This is agenda on full display.

A person who tried to make every excuse in the book for Jason Garrett - for 10 years!

Who now wants to question Super Bowl winning coach Mike McCarthy - after one game.

It sure not hard to spot the person who looks foolish.

:hammer:

Like you said stash, agenda on full display!
Sure I was disappointed in the 1st game, but 1 game doesn't mean squat. Not only that, with all the injuries we've got, the 2nd game may not be much of an indication of anything either.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
agree.

show us wins.
Right. I think most would agree . We looked much the same as last year. The 4th and 3 call was the only clear distinction .

But this is only a Week 1 perspective. It obviously can change as the season progresses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
:hammer:

Like you said stash, agenda on full display!
Sure I was disappointed in the 1st game, but 1 game doesn't mean squat. Not only that, with all the injuries we've got, the 2nd game may not be much of an indication of anything either.
It only means after Week 1 we looked much the same as last year. Thought it was to be so much more. Which was the root of story if you read it all.?

mcmvp

Reaction score
McCarthy's prior success doesn’t carry any weight until he has success here. Until then those are only talking points.

And I defended Garrett cause I thought based on our history this era he was probably best puppet we could hope for.

I think that's a bit harsh. A Super Bowl is a Super Bowl at the end of the day. There are a lot more coaches that don't have that on their resume than those that do. His SB title wasn't like Switzer's or Gruden's. He didn't take over a SB ready team in GB.

It is difficult to know how much credit a coach should get when his QB is uber talented...so I get the doubt about McCarthy. But I wouldn't say his resume is weightless.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We haven't seen whatever changes McC has in mind and may not see them fully this season. Under the best circumstances, making the necessary changes, beginning with culture, takes more time than he has had with this team.

I am not making excuses for him, every coach that had the assignment of making changes and getting new people into the mix has been hampered.

The decision to go for the 4th and 3 was a mistake. Doesn't matter the motive, he played into the hands of the opposing coach. Wouldn't every HC in the NFL like the opposing coach to go for 4th and 3 when they've got a 3 point lead?

So, McC has some making up to do with the fans. But it's not like we're not used to poor decision making.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
That's because it didn't look like they changed anything.

That was my impression as well, but after just ONE game in a totally weird year, pandemic, injuries, all new coaches, no pre-season, etc, it's too soon to draw any serious conclusions.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think that's a bit harsh. A Super Bowl is a Super Bowl at the end of the day. There are a lot more coaches that don't have that on their resume than those that do. His SB title wasn't like Switzer's or Gruden's. He didn't take over a SB ready team in GB.

It is difficult to know how much credit a coach should get when his QB is uber talented...so I get the doubt about McCarthy. But I wouldn't say his resume is weightless.
I’m not doubting or questioning McCarthys resume. I’m arguing results matter with the Cowboys.

But the bigger point of this article which I’d encourage everyone to read is this team looks much the same coming out of the gate and this coaching didn’t appear to look any different while the talent and optimism over hyped.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That was my impression as well, but after just ONE game in a totally weird year, pandemic, injuries, all new coaches, no pre-season, etc, it's soon to draw any serious conclusions.
This article is drawing a conclusion after Week 1. Not on the entire season.

I can tell everyone didn’t read the entire column. Simply reacting to title.

Last edited:

GenoT

Reaction score
Nobody’s writing it off just reporting after week 1 results.

This summation helps reflects my thoughts.!
Normally, I’d look at a game-1 loss as “Well, it’s just one game.” And in the big picture, it is. However, it would be easier to take if last Sunday’s loss didn’t look SO much like most of our losses in 2019.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
safe answer.

but there are many problems to fix on the team.

the OL and the defense are completely jacked.
Agreed. "fixing" problems is hard to do on the first game away against a good team.

I didn't mean to ignore it by omission. That backside blocking was atrocious and Dak did little to mitigate it. D-line got destroyed. LAte and lazy to the ball on defense.

But....super bowl caliber team...at their house. :)

Let's at give it at LEAST one more game against a more mediocre team?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This article is drawing a conclusion after Week 1. Not on the entire season.

I can tell everyone didn’t read the entire column. Simply reacting to title.

Fair enough. Yes...this one game we sucked and couldn't pull off a little luck.

Now let's look forward to Atlanta and cheer on our Cowboys like FANatics!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed. "fixing" problems is hard to do on the first game away against a good team.

I didn't mean to ignore it by omission. That backside blocking was atrocious and Dak did little to mitigate it. D-line got destroyed. LAte and lazy to the ball on defense.

But....super bowl caliber team...at their house. :)

Let's at give it at LEAST one more game against a more mediocre team?
This was simply an evaluation and perspective after Week 1 results not a summation of the entire season. I’d encourage reading the entire article which I provided some excerpts from.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fair enough. Yes...this one game we sucked and couldn't pull off a little luck.

Now let's look forward to Atlanta and cheer on our Cowboys like FANatics!
Part of the article was also calling out the over hyped and optimism leading into the season.

These articles are often written in a critics perspective not a Fanatic or Cheerleader mentality which generally more align with my fandom and outlook , and why I shared.

Better results will impact these perspectives.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Agreed. Maybe coaching wasn’t our biggest issue?

Coaching was a 10 year problem, and that's bad enough. Not only that, I've always been a little suspicious of Kellen Moore in a coaching position, and nothing has changed my mind about that yet.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We upgraded the coaching staff with an offensive SB coach. Then lost the first game on a coaching error after looking lackluster pretty much all game. It is what it is. There’s a lot of season left to play. There’s also no reason to run interference for the staff just because most people have an agenda on this topic.

There’s a reason why we’re seeing so many bounce off the bandwagon after a week one loss. A lot of people suspect what could be coming and why its coming. And that’s pretty depressing.