Coaching change doesn't change results for Dallas Cowboys

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Fair enough. Yes...this one game we sucked and couldn't pull off a little luck.

Now let's look forward to Atlanta and cheer on our Cowboys like FANatics!

If we are lucky we are going to start off the season 1-2 (beating the Falcons on Sunday), but at this point 0-3 is a real possibility

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coaching was a 10 year problem, and that's bad enough. Not only that, I've always been a little suspicious of Kellen Moore in a coaching position, and nothing has changed my mind about that yet.
Coaching has been a concern longer than 10 years. Along with our front office and talent weaknesses.

We all were waiting to see how much impact more proven coaching would impact us. And after Week 1 the results would argue, not much if any.

Swagger

Reaction score
I've always said as long as Jerry is in charge, a new coach is just a new deck chair on his boat. I was surprised at the hype surrounding MM. He wasn't exactly highly sought after when GB let him go. Anyone that was thinking it was him that made Aaron Rodgers was kidding themselves.

All that said, I don't think he is a terrible coach...and yes, one week is way too early to pass judgement. Especially this season. I'm just saying I never understood the hype in the first place.
That's fair and to be honest I do agree. I didn't consider McCarthy to be anything special when he was appointed. His coaching in the Packers' defeat vs the Seahawks was just incompetent. I also agree that whilst Jerry is the GM will anything REALLY change?

But it has only been one game so let's see...

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Hey Greg, do you still sleep in your Jason Garrett underoos?

You miss dude..... just admit it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy's prior success doesn’t carry any weight until he has success here. Until then those are only talking points.

Say it a million times, doesn't make it true.

Mike McCarthy is a Super Bowl winning coach. That's forever on his resume and list of credentials. You can't take it away, no matter how badly you'd clearly like to.

And I defended Garrett cause I thought based on our history this era he was probably best puppet we could hope for.

And you were clearly 100% wrong. It's about time you admit it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of overpaid players not performing. Collins, Lawrence, Smith.

This just always seems lackadaisical on defense.
You forgot to mention the 31 million dollar man......you know the guy who holds on to the ball more than anyone and is the leader of our offense!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Say it a million times, doesn't make it true.

Mike McCarthy is a Super Bowl winning coach. That's forever on his resume and list of credentials. You can't take it away, no matter how badly you'd clearly like to.

And you were clearly 100% wrong. It's about time you admit it.
An opinion doesn’t have to be true. How did that apply when Parcells was here. Did we feel better about our lack of success with him?

And it’s still left to be determined if McCarthy is anymore than the Puppets we’ve had including Bills tenure which most would argue he wasn’t a puppet but was still impacted by Jerry’s meddling. And could still be a concern now.

Hiring a proven HC doesn’t necessarily mean the puppetry or meddling has ceased. Jerry’s intent to retain Moore is a perfect example .

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An opinion doesn’t have to be true.

Then it's delusion, not "opinion".

How did that apply when Parcells was here. Did we feel better about our lack of success with him?

Pretty well, considering he took a talentless 5-11 team and built it to the 13-3 team that Phillips inherited.

And it’s still left to be determined if McCarthy is anymore than the Puppets we’ve had including Bills tenure which most would argue he wasn’t a puppet but was still impacted by Jerry’s meddling. And could still be a concern now.

Not stopping you from jumping the gun after one week. Agenda on parade.

Hiring a proven HC doesn’t necessarily mean the puppetry or meddling has ceased. Jerry’s intent to retain Moore is a perfect example .

No it isn't. More of your agenda on display, thinking that Jerry forced McCarthy to keep Moore. That's false. Fact is McCarthy was praising Moore's playcalling before he ever spoke with Jones. Destroys another attempted agenda.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know, I guess I am not one to panic after a in loss week 1.
Just as if we won, I would not be planning any trips to Miami.

You mean Tampa. Well if you did plan a trip to Miami, it’s only a 4 hour drive. Not that bad, I’ve done it.

No, there’s no reason to panic @jazzcat22 but there is ample reason for concern. The conservative play-calling, maybe it’s was Kellen Moore after all? Presnap motion? Gone. No adjustments to protect Dak after Aaron Donald made Zack Martin his perra.

You’re not going to convince me that this is a team devoid of talent. Coaching was the problem, and unfortunately it looks like it still is.

Great coaches are humble enough to learn from their mistakes and make adjustments. I think it was Andy Reid who went years without losing back to back games.

The Falcons are not championship caliber, but they’re a middle of the pack decent team. The Cowboys have them at home. If they blow this game, and especially if they blow it because of the game plan and lack of adjustments, well yeah I might just be reaching for the panic button.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hey Greg, do you still sleep in your Jason Garrett underoos?

You miss dude..... just admit it.
I enjoyed defending our Greatest Puppet against Lynch Mob. He obviously had some coaching flaws but he held this franchise together on the most part while influencing better drafts overall at least offensively and I believe the best culture in last 25 years. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough as more success was needed to sustain.

He and his families history with the Cowboys going back to Landry, Jimmy while being an exCowboy provided much for me to root for.

I can’t imagine why more fans didn’t support what he was trying to accomplish despite his inexperience, limitations and obstacles with our dysfunctional ownership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then it's delusion, not "opinion".

Pretty well, considering he took a talentless 5-11 team and built it to the 13-3 team that Phillips inherited.

Not stopping you from jumping the gun after one week. Agenda on parade.

No it isn't. More of your agenda on display, thinking that Jerry forced McCarthy to keep Moore. That's false. Fact is McCarthy was praising Moore's playcalling before he ever spoke with Jones. Destroys another attempted agenda.
Jerry stipulated retaining Moore. Of course he did. He openly said as much. Doesn’t matter if McCarthy likes him.

This was only a assessment after Week 1 results. Obviously you only read the title.

I agree that Bill built a better team but ultimately the results weren’t any better than Garrett’s.

I’m not sure you comprehend what an opinion is?

cern

Reaction score
2020 was supposed to be a new era for the Dallas Cowboys but, in Week 1, Mike McCarthy’s tenure began in a similar way to how Jason Garrett left things.

DALLAS — If the debut result at SoFi Stadium is to be believed, and seeing is believing, then you were fooled and hoodwinked by the Dallas Cowboys. If you bought into the hype, as most observers of the team did, then the Mike McCarthy era had an inauspicious beginning.

All summer, without seeing a single snap from the Cowboys on either side of the ball, there was an outpouring of optimism for the perpetually optimistic franchise. The organization had brought in talent and changed the majority of the coaching staff, which was supposed to be one of the biggest problems that led to an 8-8 season without a playoff appearance for Dallas in 2019.

Full story attached..and added excepts in following post
https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article...boys/287-809d52aa-e860-4bbc-bdb0-e05e501d10e4
i hereby nominate you for the captain obvious award for week one. do we still make soap boxes?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jerry stipulated retaining Moore. Of course he did. He openly said as much.
When did he say that?

Wasn't it just last week Troy and Joe said Jerry and Stephen were surprised Mike wanted to keep him? That doesn't sound like Jerry stipulating to me.

cern

Reaction score
Jerry stipulated retaining Moore. Of course he did. He openly said as much. Doesn’t matter if McCarthy likes him.

This was only a assessment after Week 1 results. Obviously you only read the title.

I agree that Bill built a better team but ultimately the results weren’t any better than Garrett’s.

I’m not sure you comprehend what an opinion is?
i do not agree that jerry stipulated keeping moore. when you have a young oc that in his first year produces the #1 rated offense in the league, retaining him becomes more a matter of common sense. but i do agree with your week one assessment. i was highly disappointed in the offensive output, and i suspect that mac pulled the strings more than he said he would. rodgers said mac didn't like pre-snap motion. he better start liking it. we've got to spread defenses out more. even i can see that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
i do not agree that jerry stipulated keeping moore. when you have a young oc that in his first year produces the #1 rated offense in the league, retaining him becomes more a matter of common sense. but i do agree with your week one assessment. i was highly disappointed in the offensive output, and i suspect that mac pulled the strings more than he said he would. rodgers said mac didn't like pre-snap motion. he better start liking it. we've got to spread defenses out more. even i can see that.
It wasn’t my assessment but I do agree with much of this article. And why I shared it.

Jerry made it very clear in his intent to retain Moore regardless whether we agree it was common sense or not.

The bigger point is there are fans denying Jerry’s intent to downplay his meddling.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The overall game plan was no different than the last 10 years. Let's hope that changes this Sunday moving forward.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I enjoyed defending our Greatest Puppet against Lynch Mob. He obviously had some coaching flaws but he held this franchise together on the most part while influencing better drafts overall at least offensively and I believe the best culture in last 25 years. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough as more success was needed to sustain.

He and his families history with the Cowboys going back to Landry, Jimmy while being an exCowboy provided much for me to root for.

I can’t imagine why more fans didn’t support what he was trying to accomplish despite his inexperience, limitations and obstacles with our dysfunctional ownership.
I do agree somewhat but Garrett was fortunate his 'inexperience' got him hired as offensive coordinator, which mirrors Kellen Moore's hiring also. He had ample opportunity to blossom as a head coach despite Jerry Jones' oversight. In my opinion and hindsight, there is very little evidence that disputes the Jason Garrett, who walked in as head coach, was any less qualified than the Jason Garrett who exited years later.