Coaching change doesn't change results for Dallas Cowboys

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Coaching was a 10 year problem, and that's bad enough. Not only that, I've always been a little suspicious of Kellen Moore in a coaching position, and nothing has changed my mind about that yet.
Bingo.
There's an awful lot of angst in this thread about McCarthy & how the offense looks the same as last year yet you're the 1st one to bring up the boy wonder. I agree.
I was disappointed when Moore was appointed QB coach, disappointed when he was promoted to Offensive coach, and absolutely angry when he was the lone Garrett regime coach that was retained. That made no sense to me. I'm not absolving McCarthy completely on this, it's like he either bowed to JJ's demand or he has willingly retained the whole Garrett/Moore offensive philosophy.
All that said I'm hopeful we'll see some difference this Sunday. We'd better because the Falcon's rolled up an awful lot of yardage in their loss to the Seahawks last week.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We upgraded the coaching staff with an offensive SB coach. Then lost the first game on a coaching error after looking lackluster pretty much all game. It is what it is. There’s a lot of season left to play. There’s also no reason to run interference for the staff just because most people have an agenda on this topic.

There’s a reason why we’re seeing so many bounce off the bandwagon after a week one loss. A lot of people suspect what could be coming and why its coming. And that’s pretty depressing.
On this forum, we have a fanbase based on hope.

There are certain elements that just aren't going to change so we have to hope they get it or get lucky. I am in the latter camp because I am thinking if they don't have it now, they ain't getting it.

My desire to make a coaching change was really more about change than thinking that would make it better. Even the Eagles fans got tired of the Reid run, 10 years is long enough to have any HC in this NFL.

It helps if posters accept one irrefutable fact, nothing bad happens if the lose or have a bad season. The money keeps rolling in and the eyes keep watching. At least the Lions fans had some hope because Millen didn't own the team, he could be fired and was.

There aren't many NFL teams set up the way this one is. Not even the Raiders, Davis hired Mayock because he realized his own limitations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do agree somewhat but Garrett was fortunate his 'inexperience' got him hired as offensive coordinator, which mirrors Kellen Moore's hiring also. He had ample opportunity to blossom as a head coach despite Jerry Jones' oversight. In my opinion and hindsight, there is very little evidence that disputes the Jason Garrett, who walked in as head coach, was any less qualified than the Jason Garrett who exited years later.
In this down era it’s difficult to describe what blossoming looks like. I’d describe it after three 8-8 Seasons to blossoming with 3 division titles in 5 years which was more than the previous 4 head coaches.

And coming closer on several occasions for the franchise finally breaking thru to a championship game. With the unqualified in experience he entered in with I’d argue that was blossoming.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An opinion doesn’t have to be true. How did that apply when Parcells was here. Did we feel better about our lack of success with him?

And it’s still left to be determined if McCarthy is anymore than the Puppets we’ve had including Bills tenure which most would argue he wasn’t a puppet but was still impacted by Jerry’s meddling. And could still be a concern now.

Hiring a proven HC doesn’t necessarily mean the puppetry or meddling has ceased. Jerry’s intent to retain Moore is a perfect example .
Speculation that Booger forced that. He has a mysterious way about him. First he releases all the staff, including Moore, so they can interview for other jobs because he doesn't know who he's going to hire. Wouldn't he assume McC or Riley would be their own OC? That's the plus of hiring them.

I think Moore was discussed in that interview for the first time and I am sure Booger was pleased that McC was high on him. Moore was already headed back home to OC UWA and decided to come back and I think the closer on that deal was that he would call the plays.

cern

Reaction score
to get to the summit of everest, you must first cross the khumbu icefalls. i hope to see distinct changes to the offense against the falcons. changes that will spread out and challenge their defense more than we showed against the rams. the "this is who we are, stop us if you can" approach doesn't always work.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In this down era it’s difficult to describe what blossoming looks like. I’d describe it after three 8-8 Seasons to blossoming with 3 division titles in 5 years which was more than the previous 4 head coaches.

And coming closer on several occasions for the franchise finally breaking thru to a championship game. With the unqualified in experience he entered in with I’d argue that was blossoming.
Difficult? Perhaps but 'three division titles in 5 years' may qualify as an example of head coaching growth to an observer but not necessarily to other observers. It is the accumulation of situational decisions overseen by the head coach throughout every win or loss throughout their tenure that matters to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Speculation that Booger forced that. He has a mysterious way about him. First he releases all the staff, including Moore, so they can interview for other jobs because he doesn't know who he's going to hire. Wouldn't he assume McC or Riley would be their own OC? That's the plus of hiring them.

I think Moore was discussed in that interview for the first time and I am sure Booger was pleased that McC was high on him. Moore was already headed back home to OC UWA and decided to come back and I think the closer on that deal was that he would call the plays.
I thought Moore was still under contract as he was under a 2 year deal. Jerry didn’t want him interviewing for a lateral move in NFL while he was able to interview for collegiate positions as mentioned.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Difficult? Perhaps but 'three division titles in 5 years' may qualify as an example of head coaching growth to an observer but not necessarily to other observers. It is the accumulation of situational decisions overseen by the head coach throughout every win or loss throughout their tenure that matters to me.
No doubt. Everyone is entitled to their own observation and perspective. I can only argue mine.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If I were OL coach, Joe Philbin, I'd be moving Connor Williams to RT and McGovern to the LG spot.:thumbup:

To be totally honest, I'd have done that as soon as La'el went to IR. Surprised that hasn't occurred already.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Perhaps “ force” isn’t the correct word. The rumors I read and heard were it was Jerry’s intent to retain Moore in his HC search. Meaning it was his desire or wishes. I’d suggest that whoever liked Moore would be in favor with Jerry’s intent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn’t my assessment but I do agree with much of this article. And why I shared it.

Jerry made it very clear in his intent to retain Moore regardless whether we agree it was common sense or not.

The bigger point is there are fans denying Jerry’s intent to downplay his meddling.
Where is the evidence of that? How was Moore headed to UWA? You don't let someone interview for other jobs if you intend to keep them.

Booger & Son's meddling are a mystery, we do not know how involved they are.

Gotta a question for you since you taking this opportunity to take a shot. If they turn this and the offense becomes something and it's apparent Moore is the reason, you going to give Booger credit for forcing Moore on McC?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Moore was still under contract as he was under a 2 year deal. Jerry didn’t want him interviewing for a lateral move in NFL while he was able to interview for collegiate positions as mentioned.
It was announced that all coaches were released and able to interview. Lateral move doesn't play into that situation, they're FA's.

It doesn't make any sense to retain Moore if he's considering either McC or Riley. He said he wanted a vet NFL HC and it's not likely he's going to force a one year OC on a guy like McC. I think Booger was pleasantly surprised that McC was even interested in bringing Moore back and he had to talk him into not taking the UWA OC job.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i'm going out to take photos of monarch butterflies on blazing stars. they look resplendent on the purple flowers. good day to all. go cowboys.
Damn me, cern is using something other than a firearm to shoot a living thing. Damned monarch butterflies need to be buying lottery tickets.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
There were several reports of Jerry’s intent to retain Moore in his new HC search.
Despite Dallas’ disappointing season, the team is intent on keeping Moore. Jerry Jones made it a point during the Cowboys’ HC interviews to express his desire for Jason Garrett‘s eventual successor to retain Moore. And McCarthy is a fan of the one-year coordinator. One year remains on Moore’s contract.
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. If Jerry was the driving force behind keeping the kid, then McCarthy had no choice but to approve. Like I've said before, MM has always wanted charge of the play calling and I don't think that has changed, I think he got hornswaggled out of it by Jerry and his desire to keep the kid.
I also think if Moore ever had any creativity running in his veins, it probably got filtered out by Garrett.
Personally I was against retaining Moore. I believe we should've had a clean break from EVERYTHING Garrett and start fresh.
Keeping Moore killed that fresh start, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

Last edited:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
2020 was supposed to be a new era for the Dallas Cowboys but, in Week 1, Mike McCarthy’s tenure began in a similar way to how Jason Garrett left things.

DALLAS — If the debut result at SoFi Stadium is to be believed, and seeing is believing, then you were fooled and hoodwinked by the Dallas Cowboys. If you bought into the hype, as most observers of the team did, then the Mike McCarthy era had an inauspicious beginning.

All summer, without seeing a single snap from the Cowboys on either side of the ball, there was an outpouring of optimism for the perpetually optimistic franchise. The organization had brought in talent and changed the majority of the coaching staff, which was supposed to be one of the biggest problems that led to an 8-8 season without a playoff appearance for Dallas in 2019.

Full story attached..and added excepts in following post
https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article...boys/287-809d52aa-e860-4bbc-bdb0-e05e501d10e4

read full article and i totally agree with everything

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. If Jerry was the driving force behind keeping the kid, then McCarthy had no choice but to approve. Like I've said before, MM has always wanted charge of the play calling and I don't think that has changed, I think he got hornswaggled out of it by Jerry and his desire to keep the kid.
I also think if Moore ever had any creativity running in his veins, it probably got filtered out by Garrett.
Personally I was against retaining Moore. I believe we should've had a clean break from EVERYTHING Garrett and start fresh.
Keeping Moore killed that fresh start, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

buzz--- instead of just throwing hate...you give well reasoned response....hoping pressure was put on Moore to lean toward conservatism because we had less time to work out kinks...knowing our first 3 games last year we saw the stuff

we were all hoping for...but if it looks same against Atlanta we better all say "viva la revolutional"!!!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Perhaps “ force” isn’t the correct word. The rumors I read and heard were it was Jerry’s intent to retain Moore in his HC search. Meaning it was his desire or wishes. I’d suggest that whoever liked Moore would be in favor with Jerry’s intent.

By gosh, I think you're right about that. As I recall, Mike McCarthy stated he had studied Moore's OC work before his hiring ever took place and declared that he was favorably impressed by it. It sure seems to give credibility to the fact that he already had formed a favorable opinion of Kellen Moore's work. In any event, if Moore proves himself to be wanting as an OC, it could eventually render him a candidate to be ousted. I guess time will tell.

Last edited: