Coaching has a bullseye on them now

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
If the FO can make it known to hold players accountable for their performance then they should also make it known now to hold the coaches to the same level.

They have recently shown examples by cutting and trading players and since it is a team effort and should include the staff at ALL levels. Getting paid millions to produce should be the motto not “Trust the process”.

Sydla

Reaction score
If the FO can make it known to hold players accountable for their performance then they should also make it known now to hold the coaches to the same level.

They have recently shown examples by cutting and trading players and since it is a team effort and should include the staff at ALL levels. Getting paid millions to produce should be the motto not “Trust the process”.

At this point, they have no intentions of holding the coach responsible for anything. I still chuckle to this day when Jones made that comment a few months ago that he wanted to know why a game like Atlanta happened. That game was a clear failure by the coaching staff. Everyone knows it, yet Jones was looking for other answers instead of admitting the obvious.

But eventually, if this team continues on this path of no playoffs or early bounce outs, even Jerry is going to know the emperor has no clothes anymore.

lothos05

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The coaching staff made more mistakes than that in the game. After the game, the Packers talked about how we telegraphed some things and didn't make a lot of changes on offense. A key play in that game was the Prescott interception by Hyde on a screen pass. Hyde said after the game we showed that play a lot on film and even ran it against them earlier in the year with the same personnel, formation, etc. He (and apparently their CB too) knew the play was coming.

Could the same be said in regards to the Deacon package at the end of the game as well? There were some big plays from that package in the game (and earlier vs GB in the regular season). It looks like GB finally adjusted to that alignment; however, I'm not sure if it's the call or on the players?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm not seeing what the collapse in the super bowl against a very good all around team has to do with the comparison of two teams that had an extreme talent advantage over the Packers, one which blew them out, the other who lost a game they had no business losing.

Talent/Technique are absolutely critical. Not having the proper coaching to utilize said talent wastes it.

Many of Romo's prime years were wasted due to lack of talent unfortunately. He never had an elite defense to back him up.

As much as I love the Cowboys they did not have the EXTREME talent advantage over the peckers. The Cowboys had the better RB and O-line but the peckers had a better defense and the most important position, QB, the peckers had one that was the EXTREME advantage over Prescott.

For all of the people that continue to whine about Garrett lets remember something. The scheme and game plan can be perfect to win but if the players, a different one every play or even the same players several times a game do not execute their jobs on every play means that play can fail to get the desired outcome. All it takes is a single player to not do his job on any play for that play to fail. So before pointing fingers at the coaches you need to remember that it is the players that miss blocks and tackles, are out of position, get beat on pass plays, not get to the other teams QB, commit penalties, have false starts (no excuse for that), run the wrong route, drop passes and fumble the ball not the coaches. The coaches have to use the talent they have and they have to execute EVERY play.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I love the Cowboys they did not have the EXTREME talent advantage over the peckers. The Cowboys had the better RB and O-line but the peckers had a better defense and the most important position, QB, the peckers had one that was the EXTREME advantage over Prescott.

For all of the people that continue to whine about Garrett lets remember something. The scheme and game plan can be perfect to win but if the players, a different one every play or even the same players several times a game do not execute their jobs and every play means that play can fail to get the desired outcome. All it takes is a single player to not do his job on any play for that play to fail. So before pointing fingers at the coaches you need to remember that it is the players that miss blocks and tackles, are out of position, get beat on pass plays, not get to the other teams QB, commit penalties, have false starts (no excuse for that), run the wrong route, drop passes and fumble the ball not the coaches. The coaches have to use the talent they have and they have to execute EVERY play..

It's almost always the players. There's no shortage of talented coaches in football. The best organizations have systems for finding and developing talent under the constraints of the cap. Then it comes down to taking care of the football and your ability to run/defend the passing game successfully.

Dallas does good job with finding and developing talent. And with passing effectively. We do a fairly good job taking care of the ball. The biggest areas for improvement over recent years come with taking the ball away from the other guys and from making it harder for the other guys who have elite QBs to score in the passing game. That's why LVE made sense. It's why a trade for Earl Thomas still makes sense.

Then we have to hope we didn't take a huge step back in terms of passing effectiveness by losing Dez and Witten and improving the OL and OL depth in their place.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's almost always the players. There's no shortage of talented coaches in football. The best organizations have systems for finding and developing talent under the constraints of the cap. Then it comes down to taking care of the football and your ability to run/defend the passing game successfully.

Dallas does good job with finding and developing talent. And with passing effectively. We do a fairly good job taking care of the ball. The biggest areas for improvement over recent years come with taking the ball away from the other guys and from making it harder for the other guys who have elite QBs to score in the passing game. That's why LVE made sense. It's why a trade for Earl Thomas still makes sense.

Then we have to hope we didn't take a huge step back in terms of passing effectiveness by losing Dez and Witten and improving the OL and OL depth in their place.

I agree with much of what you said. What I disagree with is trading for Thomas. He built a name for himself on a very talented defense and he would not be the 1st player under similar circumstances to not be that same player when on a team with lesser talent. He's in his contract year and is turning 29 in 5 days and it could end up just renting him for 2018. Now if the Cowboys did trade for him and then signed him to an extension and it turns out that he's not the same player with less talent around him the Cowboys will then probably just added a lot of dead money to the cap down the road. The Cowboys are not just a safety away from winning a Super Bowl so I think we should see how our own young safeties develop instead of possibly just renting Thomas or possibly having a lot of dead money added to the cap for a player that isn't the single thing that would propel the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. If the Cowboys were so close to making it and Thomas was that single piece that would do it I would be all in for that even if it was just renting him for that season but that's not the case.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett has no opportunity to shut anybody up. He lost that a long time ago.

The guy has been effectively relegated to a figure-head, while Jerry believes he can keep him there, while the coordinators do the work. Jerry called him a HC in training, while trying to give him credit last year, throwing the "COY" honors he got, knowing for a fact Garrett no longer called plays because he personally demoted him and saying about Red Ginger, he deals with ambiguity really well and will basically just walk-around.

Jerry will continue to shuffle the coordinators if they fail. The whole Garrett family is in the show...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Garrett has no opportunity to shut anybody up. He lost that a long time ago.

The guy has been effectively relegated to a figure-head, while Jerry believes he can keep him there, while the coordinators do the work. Jerry called him a HC in training, while trying to give him credit last year, throwing the "COY" honors he got, knowing for a fact Garrett no longer called plays because he personally demoted him and saying about Red Ginger, he deals with ambiguity really well and will basically just walk-around.

Jerry will continue to shuffle the coordinators if they fail. The whole Garrett family is in the show...

You said something yourself that actually debunks everything else you said about Garrett. Garrett was NAMED coach of the year and not by Jones but by a lot of people, those people that voted and gave him that honor. So lets see, a disgruntled Garrett hater says one thing and over 125 people say the exact opposite and we're supposed to go with your opinion? Ya you're opinion is so biased against Garrett it can't be taken seriously.

khiladi

Reaction score
You said something yourself that actually debunks everything else you said about Garrett. Garrett was NAMED coach of the year and not by Jones but by a lot of people, those people that voted and gave him that honor. So lets see, a disgruntled Garrett hater says one thing and over 125 people say the exact opposite and we're supposed to go with your opinion? Ya you're opinion is so biased against Garrett it can't be taken seriously.

Congratulations.. the guy got COY of the year after 10 years, after being demoted from play-calling and relegated to an ambiguous role per Jerry himself, because Linehan was calling the plays and Zeke was netting over 5 yards per carry on first down, behind a line that Callahan built, a guy that Garrett sabotaged...

And then Garrett proceeded once again to be a figurehead on a team that sucked the very next year..

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with much of what you said. What I disagree with is trading for Thomas. He built a name for himself on a very talented defense and he would not be the 1st player under similar circumstances to not be that same player when on a team with lesser talent. He's in his contract year and is turning 29 in 5 days and it could end up just renting him for 2018. Now if the Cowboys did trade for him and then signed him to an extension and it turns out that he's not the same player with less talent around him the Cowboys will then probably just added a lot of dead money to the cap down the road. The Cowboys are not just a safety away from winning a Super Bowl so I think we should see how our own young safeties develop instead of possibly just renting Thomas or possibly having a lot of dead money added to the cap for a player that isn't the single thing that would propel the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. If the Cowboys were so close to making it and Thomas was that single piece that would do it I would be all in for that even if it was just renting him for that season but that's not the case.

I actually believe the Cowboys are capable of contending this season if we had an elite playmaker at S. I'm not sure Thomas is still elite, or if he's still at a place in his career where he's a smart bet to stay on the field even if he is still elite when healthy. But I do think he's, by far, the best S option potentially available on the market.

If we can't get a deal done, then I'd be ok rolling with Woods and another good, young player at FS. That good young player wasn't there in the draft. Tre Boston is an option in FA, but they seem to have zero interesting in him. He's probably too expensive. My concern is that we'll try to go thin there like we did at LB last year, thinking we can move a CB over in a pinch. We're short one legit player in the secondary right now. (We're also short a veteran LB, but I think we'll fill that in roster cut downs eventually, so I'm not stressing it yet).

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
A few years ago there was a go fund me for a billboard in dallas that read Jerry, Fire Garrett! I put up $50 i wonder what happened to it. $50 well spent even if it didn't get put up.

Jake0

Reaction score

For all of the people that continue to whine about Garrett lets remember something. The scheme and game plan can be perfect to win but if the players, a different one every play or even the same players several times a game do not execute their jobs on every play means that play can fail to get the desired outcome. All it takes is a single player to not do his job on any play for that play to fail. So before pointing fingers at the coaches you need to remember that it is the players that miss blocks and tackles, are out of position, get beat on pass plays, not get to the other teams QB, commit penalties, have false starts (no excuse for that), run the wrong route, drop passes and fumble the ball not the coaches. The coaches have to use the talent they have and they have to execute EVERY play.

Dude.... the Packers had their entire secondary and their backup's backup all hurt. Aaron Rodgers was on one leg. I have nothing more to say.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Well,I don’t know why now and not earlier? Like what’s really going to be different about their coaching style,and decision making at that age?
Garrett is an up and down coach,Rod likes coaching up projects,and Linehan likes ziggin when he should zag. And all a part of teams,who can’t seal the deal when it matters. That’s not due to the players...that’s on them. Have your unit fit,well planned,prepared,confident and ready,and have yourself and the coaching staff fit and prepared to make any necessary changes for game situations. Not dysfunctional who’s on first games,and “how to turn a TD into a FG,in 3 easy steps” exhibitions. Like what’s there to learn about NOT keeping your best player sitting on the sidelines during 1st and goal situations.or pressing with man coverage,when your getting gashed for record yardage in the nickel and dime stuff for a loss?

Sydla

Reaction score
Garrett’s twin in the AFC, Marvin Lewis, won a COY award as well.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
A few years ago there was a go fund me for a billboard in dallas that read Jerry, Fire Garrett! I put up $50 i wonder what happened to it. $50 well spent even if it didn't get put up.
Perhaps you’d like to donate to my..”I’m STILL watching you D.Free”...sign flyer campaign in Oxnard? $1,500 is the best offer I got from some farmers 10 min south. Haven’t even gotten to staff or current players yet,boy are they in for a treat. “The 3 blind mice” has a nice ring to it I’d think,and fits into the letter budget better.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Congratulations.. the guy got COY of the year after 10 years, after being demoted from play-calling and relegated to an ambiguous role per Jerry himself, because Linehan was calling the plays and Zeke was netting over 5 yards per carry on first down, behind a line that Callahan built, a guy that Garrett sabotaged...

And then Garrett proceeded once again to be a figurehead on a team that sucked the very next year..

Again a Garrett hater and a biased opinion against him by a hater means less than zero.