Cole Beasley: How Cowboys can be more Dak-friendly after Prescott was asked to be 'Superman' in 2017

starcity214

Reaction score
You're a joke...Hard for Prescott to do much when he's laying on his back.
Hard for him to play QB and pass block, ya know?
You guys must not really understand how pitiful our O-line was last season...

It's getting to the point where fans create their own alternative reality I guess...

Prescott was sacked the 16th most times (out of 32) last season. Brady , Wilson and Wentz we're sacked more times than Prescott last season and they didn't turn into Tim Tebow ...

Gameover

Reaction score
Nothing but darts

Can Dez be this again... If yes, I would keep him!

I think Hurns is the compliment Dez has always needed.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Just a thought BUT is it possible the QBs limitations could have been the reason why Coaches didn't want him to do anything else? Sauce Beasley said they asked him to be Superman last season, meaning the Coaches put more on his plate and on his shoulders. Things didn't go well per Beasley and our own eyes.

Coaches need to come up with new things to hide deficiencies of their players BUT players also have to improve on their weaknesses and deficiencies. That means the OL, the RBs, the WRs, the TEs, the DL, the LBs, the DB's, the PK, the Punter, the Long Snapper and yes...the QBs.

dak was the one who told the press about possible counter plays that address the defense adjustments. i suspect he is annoyed at the dumb coaches

slick325

Reaction score
dak was the one who told the press about possible counter plays that address the defense adjustments. i suspect he is annoyed at the dumb coaches

I know Waldo, but as I'm sure you know, Coaches scout players (even their own) extensively. They know better than even the players what plays will maximize a players talents and which will expose the team and the player if they run them.

It is my contention that the Coaches wanted to limit the reads Dak had to make. Limit the adjustments he was allowed to make simply because they didn't believe he could successfully execute certain things.

A quick glance at NFL.com's scouting report on Dak gives great insight into him as a player and I still think a good deal of it is applicable. Defensive coaches know it and Dallas' coaches do as well:

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Thick, muscular frame. Has proven over last three seasons that he can withstand a pounding. Has enough natural arm strength and hip snap to fit throws into an NFL window. Stands tall and delivers a tight spiral with over-the-top delivery. Very little windup and gets ball out with the flick of a wrist. When pocket is clean, can deliver accurate strikes around the field. Played with improved vision and care for football this season and eliminated many of the ill-fated throws that turned into interceptions in 2014. Still a work in progress, but continues to show a level of growth as a passer. Threat with his legs, scoring 37 rushing touchdowns over last three seasons and had 94 rushes of ten yards or more during that time. Can be used as goal-line rushing option. Willing to extend plays outside of pocket with legs but look to finish the play with his arm. Mentally tough enough to carry a heavy offensive burden for the Bulldogs over last three years. When protected better in 2014, showed an ability to challenge deep and strike with accuracy and touch.

Weaknesses
Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

Dallas Coaches were able to hide the weaknesses in 2016 because the rookie had no real film out. Now the Coaches AND Dak have to go back to the drawing board. Just reading Garrett's comments from the owners meeting yesterday tell me that he is laying some blame at Dak's feet as well.
“We just need to get better in our passing game,” Garrett said. “One of the best things we’ve done around here for a long time is throw the football. And we’ve been a very good running team the last few years and last year we didn’t throw the ball as effectively as we needed to as consistently as we needed to. We have a history of being a very good passing team. We want to be able to get back to that. We want to add the kind of players who allow us to do that.”

Everyone needs to improve and adjust Coaches and players. Dak included.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I know Waldo, but as I'm sure you know, Coaches scout players (even their own) extensively. They know better than even the players what plays will maximize a players talents and which will expose the team and the player if they run them.

It is my contention that the Coaches wanted to limit the reads Dak had to make. Limit the adjustments he was allowed to make simply because they didn't believe he could successfully execute certain things.

A quick glance at NFL.com's scouting report on Dak gives great insight into him as a player and I still think a good deal of it is applicable. Defensive coaches know it and Dallas' coaches do as well:

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Thick, muscular frame. Has proven over last three seasons that he can withstand a pounding. Has enough natural arm strength and hip snap to fit throws into an NFL window. Stands tall and delivers a tight spiral with over-the-top delivery. Very little windup and gets ball out with the flick of a wrist. When pocket is clean, can deliver accurate strikes around the field. Played with improved vision and care for football this season and eliminated many of the ill-fated throws that turned into interceptions in 2014. Still a work in progress, but continues to show a level of growth as a passer. Threat with his legs, scoring 37 rushing touchdowns over last three seasons and had 94 rushes of ten yards or more during that time. Can be used as goal-line rushing option. Willing to extend plays outside of pocket with legs but look to finish the play with his arm. Mentally tough enough to carry a heavy offensive burden for the Bulldogs over last three years. When protected better in 2014, showed an ability to challenge deep and strike with accuracy and touch.

Weaknesses
Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

Dallas Coaches were able to hide the weaknesses in 2016 because the rookie had no real film out. Now the Coaches AND Dak have to go back to the drawing board. Just reading Garrett's comments from the owners meeting yesterday tell me that he is laying some blame at Dak's feet as well.
“We just need to get better in our passing game,” Garrett said. “One of the best things we’ve done around here for a long time is throw the football. And we’ve been a very good running team the last few years and last year we didn’t throw the ball as effectively as we needed to as consistently as we needed to. We have a history of being a very good passing team. We want to be able to get back to that. We want to add the kind of players who allow us to do that.”

Whoooo !!!! Nice write up !!!

kramskoi

Reaction score

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Weaknesses

Yep...8 games with less than 200 yards passing ain't going to cut it. Not even close. Romo never had more than four in any regular season as a starter (except 2007 against Washington where he didn't play the full game)

foofighters

Reaction score
Just a thought BUT is it possible the QBs limitations could have been the reason why Coaches didn't want him to do anything else? Sauce Beasley said they asked him to be Superman last season, meaning the Coaches put more on his plate and on his shoulders. Things didn't go well per Beasley and our own eyes.

Coaches need to come up with new things to hide deficiencies of their players BUT players also have to improve on their weaknesses and deficiencies. That means the OL, the RBs, the WRs, the TEs, the DL, the LBs, the DB's, the PK, the Punter, the Long Snapper and yes...the QBs.
I believe this part of the situation. Within his current skill set, he can only do so much. This is no different than any young QB. However, the coaches failed as well. There's a lot more than "let's just blame the coaches." For the record, I am no fan of JG but Jerry isn't letting his favorite son go anywhere.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Weaknesses

I wish some would do a write like this on head coaches, would be an interesting read.

HungryLion

Reaction score

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Weaknesses

It’s a shame Garrett doesn’t spend more time scouting himself. Because he sucks and if he was the coach of any other team, he would have been fired by now.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's getting to the point where fans create their own alternative reality I guess...

Prescott was sacked the 16th most times (out of 32) last season. Brady , Wilson and Wentz we're sacked more times than Prescott last season and they didn't turn into Tim Tebow ...

Doesn't matter how many facts you throw out there, bro. There will always be a massive contingent that will line up the excuses for Dak.

It's such an interesting juxtaposition. With Romo, he could never do right by a ton of people. And with Dak, he can do no wrong.

waldoputty

Reaction score

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Weaknesses

i dont know.
if the coaches self-scouted enough, they would not be calling rushes 100% of the time out of certain sets in opponent 35 yard line or more.
i hate to say it but it appears that coaches did not do their job.
players were complaining to the press right after the season and perhaps even during the season about how predictable we were.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I believe this part of the situation. Within his current skill set, he can only do so much. This is no different than any young QB. However, the coaches failed as well. There's a lot more than "let's just blame the coaches." For the record, I am no fan of JG but Jerry isn't letting his favorite son go anywhere.

some of the counters for defense adjustments were to have a set up for a rush go in the other direction. that does not tax the qb very much at all. chiefs and rams had those plays last season. we did not and could not even copy others' plays.