Cole Kmet reminds me of a young Witten

rags747

Reaction score
to me TE is a key position on offense and is a critical safety valve for any QB

I want a difference maker at TE not an average starter

I dont care if it is FA or draft, we need a number 1 TE
Agreed. I don’t know anything about these TE’s but I am definitely not against taking a stud at 17 if there is one available. A stud TE makes all the difference to Dak, cannot understand why some say a TE drafted so high would be a wasted pick.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, we got Witten in the third. I'd take him in the third.
Here's my question: is Jarwin not ready to assume the starting position. Or do you think we really need to bolster the tight end position with a first or second rounder?
Jarwin is move TE. With his lack of blocking ability he wouldnt make a very good in line TE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t mean it as a backhanded compliment but I’d much rather have a guy like Kmet in the 4th round than Dalton Schultz. Kmet at least has above average size to work which sets him apart from Schultz.
Kmet has inline ability that Jarwin doest. They would make a complimentary group of TE's.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t mean it as a backhanded compliment but I’d much rather have a guy like Kmet in the 4th round than Dalton Schultz. Kmet at least has above average size to work which sets him apart from Schultz.

Kmet in the 4th round? He'll be gone before our 2nd round pick.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Kmet’s?

4.65* actually

https://und.com/driven-kmet-leaves-mark/

For a 6-6 TE in the 250+ range, this is hardly slow. He’s not Gates or Jimmy Graham, but he’s close to Travis Kelce speed and faster than Rob Gronkowski. I’m not saying he will be BETTER than them, just saying, he has NFL speed.

He’s rising up draft boards for good reason, he’s probably the most complete TEs in the draft.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Okay.

I was told Lil’Jordan Humphrey would never make it out the 1st round last year too.

I think there is a chance he could slip to a mid-second round if his combine is disappointing, but as of now, he’s probably a late first rounder to early second rounder.

Flamma

Reaction score
Okay.

I was told Lil’Jordan Humphrey would never make it out the 1st round last year too.

I don't know who that is. But as of right now Kmet is ranked the #1 TE in the draft. On the big board I'm looking at he's #27 in the entire draft. Was #30 yesterday. I'm not saying he'll be drafted in the first round, but how far do you think he's going to fall?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
4.65* actually

https://und.com/driven-kmet-leaves-mark/

For a 6-6 TE in the 250+ range, this is hardly slow. He’s not Gates or Jimmy Graham, but he’s close to Travis Kelce speed and faster than Rob Gronkowski. I’m not saying he will be BETTER than them, just saying, he has NFL speed.

He’s rising up draft boards for good reason, he’s probably the most complete TEs in the draft.

I’ll wait for the official times established at the Combine.

He could be deceptively fast because of his long strides but I don’t anticipate him running a 4.65.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
to me TE is a key position on offense and is a critical safety valve for any QB

I want a difference maker at TE not an average starter

I dont care if it is FA or draft, we need a number 1 TE
So Jarwin isn't that guy?

visionary

Reaction score
So Jarwin isn't that guy?

Jarwin can’t block a lick
He’s not a complete TE
A key on offense is unpredictability
He can be a great complement but not a great TE on a team that wants to run the ball consistently

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Watched his game versus Georgia.

The first thing I wanted to look at was his blocking. Kmet is big and plays for one of the last few schools that uses an in-line blocking TE, so I went in with high hopes for him. Sad to say, I left disappointed. He really sucks as a blocker. Big frame, but there's just no power behind it, and there were multiple times when he got blown up by a safety. I'm not talking about a safety dipping by Kmet with speed, I'm talking about a safety putting hands on him and just overpowering him.

The good side is that he looks pretty athletic. As far as his speed, I'm going in the "long strider" camp and thinking he'll check in maybe around the high 4.6s. With a 6'5" 250 frame, that's fast enough to create problems for LBs IMO. Moreso than that, there's a couple snaps where he looks very quick changing direction for a tall guy. His route running is kind of unpolished, but the tools are there to improve. And he does a nice job hand catching.

So as a blocker, I'm just not seeing it at all. As a receiver, he's got some tools to build with. I can see a team using a 2nd on him and trying to develop him for a few years. He's never going to be a complete TE, but he could become a good receiver. NFL comparison:.... maybe a Tyler Eifert starter kit? I think I'd rather pay Jarwin than wait 3 years to see if Kmet puts it together.

I started a notepad file on the game, adding an entry whenever I saw a notable play. This initially started off as a "Kmet blown block" file, so yeah, he was pretty bad at that.

0:00 (nice balance, got more yards than I thought)
0:25 (nice hands catch)
0:27 (left wiiiide open by RPO)
0:57 (weak effort at a block)
1:16 (blown up by a safety?)
1:30 (blocks for his teammate after catch, locks out arms)
1:50 (shed easily by LB)
2:08 (blown up by a safety again?)
2:16 (ends up on the ground pass blocking. Screen so maybe he wasn't trying?)
2:45 (drop)
2:55 (looks quick cutting)
3:08 (submarined by safety)
4:03 (fast. Looks like an NFL route)
4:10 (also fast.)
4:20 (hands catch)
5:02 (ehhhh.... good enough block? might have worked if another UGA defender wasn't right there)
5:47 (slow to break, route gets jumped cause he telegraphs it)
6:06 (stoned by defender)
6:16 (good block)
7:04 (good block)
8:04 (gets swum off)
8:12 (good catch with safety right on him)
9:05 (gets vertical)

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
i like him or jared pinkney,vandy.
not sure we'll get a shot at either...but you never know what the draft tide will bring in.