Video: Colin Cowherd on Amari Cooper Trade

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We may no longer have an elite LT. A lot hinges on that.

Besides, Cowherd acts like this is a player without question marks. He hasn’t been an elite WR over the past 20 games.

This is, as he says, an ‘aggressive’ move. We shouldn’t be trying to skate past the risk in it just because we’re dazzled by the potential reward.

I don't consider him elite, but other teams were in fact pushing to get Cooper...so we are not the only team that felt this way about him. It's the main reason we had to give a first round pick.

The most optimistic we can be is that Cooper and the change of scenery helps Cooper reach his first round potential, at worst, he's a high level second WR which he showed he could be in Oakland. How much of this is on Carr? We'll see.

I'm not big on WRs at all, but if it's true we were going for a WR in the first this year anyways - meh. We can still move back up into the first.

J12B

Reaction score
If Cooper creates an average of 4 more points a game this trade will be huge for Dallas.

More points and more first downs means the defense is less on the field.

If that happens Dallas could very well finish the season 7-2, putting them at 10-6.

Just wish we could've got Cooper for a 2nd and a 4th rather than a 1st.

jay94

Reaction score

Besides, Cowherd acts like this is a player without question marks. He hasn’t been an elite WR over the past 20 games.

This is, as he says, an ‘aggressive’ move. We shouldn’t be trying to skate past the risk in it just because we’re dazzled by the potential reward.

We haven't for years. His past 3 years have been far from that level of play.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He mentioned all those winning teams adding pieces to already-very good teams, and then this franchise...

Also LOL around 3:57 acting like this 3-4 team is stacked every position except WR.

Actually there are pretty talented up and down the board except at WR and TE. The issue is that the head coach and OC have chose to let Dak be Dak at home but force him to try and be Troy Aikman on the road. When they can just let Dak be Dak each and every week, they may surprise us all and that’s coming from a very pessimistic cowboys fan. Garrett is the #1 issue holding the team back.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good analysis but I mentioned this yesterday.......I highly doubt that this was our FO's thought process.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I don't consider him elite, but other teams were in fact pushing to get Cooper...so we are not the only team that felt this way about him. It's the main reason we had to give a first round pick.

The most optimistic we can be is that Cooper and the change of scenery helps Cooper reach his first round potential, at worst, he's a high level second WR which he showed he could be in Oakland. How much of this is on Carr? We'll see.

I'm not big on WRs at all, but if it's true we were going for a WR in the first this year anyways - meh. We can still move back up into the first.

There’s something to all of this. On the other hand, if it’s true that we were already committed to taking a WR in the first round of the 2019 draft, I’d by annoyed by another example of team mismanagement. We probably need to start looking at LT. We still need a premier FS. We could use a TE. We have enough needs that you let the draft come to you and you take BPA. You don’t commit to a position 7 months before the draft.

I do think Cooper has a good chance to prove he’s worth a first. I also think a first was overpaying. Even if the Eagles were offering a second, it’s likely our second would be an earlier pick. Regardless, there’s no need to go in at the Raider’s asking price. Why not a second and a fifth? Failing to negotiate was another failure of management.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But inst there a way of evaluating a QB without having to give up a 1st round pick?

He didn't say that was the only benefit. He said Cooper was worth a first rounder anyway, and would be a great tool for the next QB if Dak isn't the guy.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
He didn't say that was the only benefit. He said Cooper was worth a first rounder anyway, and would be a great tool for the next QB if Dak isn't the guy.

Amari has one year left on his deal, with a team option for the next. There is zero guarantee Cooper is here for the next QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amari has one year left on his deal, with a team option for the next. There is zero guarantee Cooper is here for the next QB.

No, and there is no guarantee a WR they might draft would be a worthwhile pick. Sure things are pretty rare.

In any case, I was just setting the record straight on what Cowherd said. Giving up a first round pick is pretty hard for me to accept. I'll give it a chance to play out though.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Eagles were one of the teams trying to trade for cooper

And the Eagles offered the absolute most Cooper was worth. Our second is worth more than theirs in every universe outside the Cowboys facility, so if Jerry is really a salesman he should heave been able to get Cooper for our second. But we were fleeced again. I just don't see how anyone thinks Jerry is a good deal maker, at least in the football business.

hutch1254

Reaction score
I hate that a 1st was given up but the way Colin lays it out it makes it appear we're at least trying to find out if Dak is the guy to prevent a Jags / Bortles situation. Jags just extended him and now they appear to be in a world of hurt offensively. I would like to avoid a similar scenario.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
While I can understand what he's saying, the problem is, that Cooper hasn't played like a guy worth a 1st round pick in 2 seasons. He hasn't been a legitimate weapon for Carr for the last couple seasons, why will he suddenly be a legitimate weapon for Dak this season? He's not playing like a guy that anyone can say with any certainty that he should even be here after his rookie deal runs out. We just hope he is, the same way we hoped Hurns would regain his form or Tavon would be the weapon we hoped he could be. If Cooper has been producing consistently for the last season and a half it's one thing, but right now he's a project WR for a project QB.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

We might not even want him after next season if he plays like he's been playing the last couple seasons. We don't know what version of Cooper we're getting. Cowherd acting like he's been playing at a Julio level, when he's actually been playing at the TWill level. Not to mention the guy just had a concussion his last game.

ESisback

Reaction score

So in other words, do nothing. Right? ANY move they make is wrong. Right?