CFZ Comparing Dak and Cooper's First Three Starts

plasticman

Reaction score
.......Because I'm in the mood to stick a broom into a hornet's nest and wiggle it around.

I'm joking. My purpose is to demonstrate that the Cowboys are gameplanning Cooper in almost exactly the same way they did Dak when he first started and Cooper is coming up with practically the same numbers.

Here are the comparisons:

Pass attempts:

Dak 99
Cooper 102

Completions:

Dak 66
Cooper 64

Yards

Dak 767
Cooper 775

Sacks

Dak 4
Cooper 4

INT's

Dak 0
Cooper 1

Yards per attempt

Dak 7.7
Cooper 7.6

TD's:

Dak 1
Cooper 4

QB rating:

Dak 93.3
Cooper 95.0

Record:

Dak 2-1
Cooper 3-0

My point is, instead of focusing on Dak's salary they should be looking at ways to help him win. Instead of justifying Jerry's poor management of the cap by trying to turn Dak into Rodgers or Mahomes, they should return to the times when the offense was more balanced and Dak had to take less risks.

As you can all recall, 2016 was not a bad season. So far, even under the circumstances, 2022 isn't a bad season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
.......Because I'm in the mood to stick a broom into a hornet's nest and wiggle it around.

I'm joking. My purpose is to demonstrate that the Cowboys are gameplanning Cooper in almost exactly the same way they did Dak when he first started and Cooper is coming up with practically the same numbers.

Pass attempts:

Dak 99
Cooper 102

Completions:

Dak 66
Cooper 64

Yards

Dak 767
Cooper 775

Sacks

Dak 4
Cooper 4

INT's

Dak 0
Cooper 1

Yards per attempt

Dak 7.7
Cooper 7.6

TD's:

Dak 1
Cooper 4

QB rating:

Dak 93.3
Cooper 95.0

Record:

Dak 2-1
Cooper 3-0

My point is, instead of focusing on Dak's salary they should be looking at ways to help him win. Instead of justifying Jerry's poor management of the cap by trying to turn Dak into Rodgers or Mahomes, they should return to the times when the offense was more balanced and Dak had to take less risks.

As you can all recall, 2016 was not a bad season. So far, even under the circumstances, 2022 isn't a bad season.

Dak was a rookie while Rush didn't start a game until his 4th year in the league, so it's not exactly the same, but it's still a good comparison.

plasticman

Reaction score
So pay the guy $40m but simplify the gameplan and offense because he isnt that guy?

Sounds like they wouldve been better off finding a new QB :popcorn:
What would you rather have, "that guy" or a Super Bowl ring.

What's done is done. And if you take every penny Dak has earned and divide it by all the years he has been the starter, the Cowboys are getting a bargain

In any case, the goal is to win and I think the formula is to let the running game and the defense and the special teams do what they do and don't screw it up.

I think it was Parcells who said, "When you throw the ball, there are only three possible outcomes and two of them are bad."

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Pass attempts:

Dak 99
Cooper 102

Completions:

Dak 66
Cooper 64

Yards

Dak 767
Cooper 775

Sacks

Dak 4
Cooper 4

INT's

Dak 0
Cooper 1

Yards per attempt

Dak 7.7
Cooper 7.6

TD's:

Dak 1
Cooper 4

QB rating:

Dak 93.3
Cooper 95.0

Record:

Dak 2-1
Cooper 3-0

Dak was a 4th round rookie. Cooper is a +5 year veteran that has been on multiple teams.

I can tell you what Dak, Cooper, and Romo are not....Franchise QBs. This team is playing like they know Cooper Rush is their QB and not overrated Dak or Romo. They run to win, throw to score, and defense is play for championship. That's how you win in football.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the details and stats compiled by these two in their first three starts. Rush has done incredible. And as of this date, Dak is not playing like he did in 2016 when he used his legs more and played loose. He better get back up to speed and perform like his contract...it's not just me saying that, even the cryptkeeper has stated it. The game seems to have sped up on him and he doesn't look comfortable. We shall obviously see in couple of weeks.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak was a rookie while Rush didn't start a game until his 4th year in the league, so it's not exactly the same, but it's still a good comparison.

No it's not. Comparing a rookie to a guy who has been in the NFL for 5 years is ludicrous. Rush has more years in this offense than Dak had months in 2016. And lest we forget, before Romo went down against Seattle in that preseason game and then Moore trashed his achilles, Dak was the 3rd or 4th QB depending on who you asked. He was getting table scraps for reps up to that point. So he really only got a week or two of first team reps before the season started.. Apples to Winnebagos..

doomsday808

Reaction score

Pass attempts:

Dak 99
Cooper 102

Completions:

Dak 66
Cooper 64

Yards

Dak 767
Cooper 775

Sacks

Dak 4
Cooper 4

INT's

Dak 0
Cooper 1

Yards per attempt

Dak 7.7
Cooper 7.6

TD's:

Dak 1
Cooper 4

QB rating:

Dak 93.3
Cooper 95.0

Record:

Dak 2-1
Cooper 3-0

Jerry's Ego won't let the club look pass the fact that they gave Dak a $40,000,000 a year contract. That would mean they made another bad contract decision.

yentl911

Reaction score
The comparison is something people look into but these are really apples and oranges. Different players, different teams and different opponents.

Instead of the back and forth let’s embrace the fact that we have two guys that can play QB and guide this team with good results.

GINeric

Reaction score

Pass attempts:

Dak 99
Cooper 102

Completions:

Dak 66
Cooper 64

Yards

Dak 767
Cooper 775

Sacks

Dak 4
Cooper 4

INT's

Dak 0
Cooper 1

Yards per attempt

Dak 7.7
Cooper 7.6

TD's:

Dak 1
Cooper 4

QB rating:

Dak 93.3
Cooper 95.0

Record:

Dak 2-1
Cooper 3-0

Great job....
But this post would hold more credibility if you posted the defensive rankings of the teams each guy faced.

Dak went against the Bucs this year. Whats the defensive ranking of the Bengals and Giants this year and are they ranked at the to like the Bucs defense is??? Did Rush face better ranked defenses than Dak???

Hmm...

Lets also compare Dak and Rush's first 5, 6 seasons while we're at it. Lets not read a chapter, lets tell the whole story. Dak first three starts came as a rookie..... Cooper's came as a 5, 6 year veteran.....

I like the attempt of what you tried to do there tho!!

GINeric

Reaction score
No it's not. Comparing a rookie to a guy who has been in the NFL for 5 years is ludicrous. Rush has more years in this offense than Dak had months in 2016. And lest we forget, before Romo went down against Seattle in that preseason game and then Moore trashed his achilles, Dak was the 3rd or 4th QB depending on who you asked. He was getting table scraps for reps up to that point. So he really only got a week or two of first team reps before the season started.. Apples to Winnebagos..

:hammer::hammer:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Pass attempts:

Dak 99
Cooper 102

Completions:

Dak 66
Cooper 64

Yards

Dak 767
Cooper 775

Sacks

Dak 4
Cooper 4

INT's

Dak 0
Cooper 1

Yards per attempt

Dak 7.7
Cooper 7.6

TD's:

Dak 1
Cooper 4

QB rating:

Dak 93.3
Cooper 95.0

Record:

Dak 2-1
Cooper 3-0

Looking at each players salary
Cooper is definitely the better value.

Aftershock

Reaction score
Dak was a fourth round QB that played in the SEC with good athleticism.
Rush was an undrafted qb with none, and a noodle arm.