Comparing Kellen Moore to other NFC OCs

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it would be interesting to compare our new OC to the rest of the OCs in the NFC in terms of comparing years of NFL coaching experience as well as years of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator. Not surprisingly, Kellen Moore is the least experienced OC in the NFC. I’m certainly NOT saying that means he won’t be successful; I’m just interested in looking at comparative years of experience with the rest of the NFC.

Before getting into the specifics or each NFC OC, here are the stats regarding average years experience for all NFC OCs as an NFL coach, as well as avg years experience as an NFL OC:
  • Average years experience as an NFL coach: 14 years
  • Average years experience as an NFL offensive Coordinator: 6 years
All NFC Coordinators by team with yrs as an NFL coach and as an OC
NFC EAST

• DAL: Kellen Moore- 1 year exp as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • WASH: Kevin O’Connell- 4 yrs as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • PHI: Mike Groh- 6 yrs as NFL coach/1 year as an OC
  • NYG: Mike Shula- 24 years as NFL coach/7 years as an OC
NFC CENTRAL
  • CHI- Mark Helfrich- 2 yrs exp as NFL coach/1 as an OC
  • DET- Darrell Bevell- 17 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • GB- Nathaniel Hackett- 11 yrs as an NFL coach/7 as an OC
  • MN- Kevin Stefanski- 15 yrs as NFL coach/7 yrs as an OC
NFC SOUTH
  • ATL- Dirk Koetter- 11 yrs as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • CAR- Norv Turner- 31 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • NO- Pete Carmichael, Jr- 18 yrs as NFL coach/10 as an OC
  • TB- Byron Leftwich- 3 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
NFC WEST
  • ARI- Tom Clements- 20 yrs as NFL coach/5 yrs as an OC
  • LA- (shared) Aaron Cromar- 18 yrs as NFL coach/2 as an OC; Shane Waldron- 5 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
  • SF- Kyle Shanihan- (also serves as HC) 14 yrs exp as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • SEA- Brian Schoettenheimer-19 years NFL coach/11 as an OC
Of all the NFC OCs, the ones closest to Moore in experience are CHI’s Mark Helfrich, Kevin O’Connell of PHI and Byron Leftwich of TB. All 3 have slightly more experience although it’s minimal with all of them.

We don’t know yet know if Kellen Moore is the next great OC. Being inexperienced is not always an indication of future problems. But we do know, he’s the youngest and least experienced OC in the NFC. For probably many reasons, most teams select an OC with more experience.Im certainly hoping young Kellen Moore is a big success.

I do find it interesting that Moore was selected as OC in a year when our HC is supposedlyin the hot seat.
Your thoughts?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the youngsters do this year. Being an OC is a tough job with lots of required organization, study and innovation. We will know in a few months when the real bullets fly in the regular season.
I think growing pains are to be expected and he may implode but the gamble is he may explode and be the next big thing in hiring inexperienced offensive coordinators NFL wide. Time will tell. I shudder to think it could be worse than Linehan. I'm speaking solely about Kellen Moore here not the rest.

cern

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare our new OC to the rest of the OCs in the NFC in terms of comparing years of NFL coaching experience as well as years of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator. Not surprisingly, Kellen Moore is the least experienced OC in the NFC. I’m certainly NOT saying that means he won’t be successful; I’m just interested in looking at comparative years of experience with the rest of the NFC.

Before getting into the specifics or each NFC OC, here are the stats regarding average years experience for all NFC OCs as an NFL coach, as well as avg years experience as an NFL OC:
NFC EAST

NFC CENTRAL
NFC SOUTH
NFC WEST
  • LA- (shared) Aaron Cromar- 18 yrs as NFL coach/2 as an OC; Shane Waldron- 5 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
Of all the NFC OCs, the ones closest to Moore in experience are CHI’s Mark Helfrich, Kevin O’Connell of PHI and Byron Leftwich of TB. All 3 have slightly more experience although it’s minimal with all of them.

We don’t know yet know if Kellen Moore is the next great OC. Being inexperienced is not always an indication of future problems. But we do know, he’s the youngest and least experienced OC in the NFC. For probably many reasons, most teams select an OC with more experience.Im certainly hoping young Kellen Moore is a big success.

I do find it interesting that Moore was selected as OC in a year when our HC is supposedlyin the hot seat.
Your thoughts?
The only comparison of note will be how our offense performs on the field. Einstein was working in a patent office when he came up with special relativity. You just never know.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NFC EAST

NFC CENTRAL
NFC SOUTH
NFC WEST

We don’t know yet know if Kellen Moore is the next great OC. Being inexperienced is not always an indication of future problems. But we do know, he’s the youngest and least experienced OC in the NFC. For probably many reasons, most teams select an OC with more experience. Im certainly hoping young Kellen Moore is a big success.

I do find it interesting that Moore was selected as OC in a year when our HC is supposedly in the hot seat.
Your thoughts?
Always thought provoking, never boring, and always relevant!
I think the Cowboys are ready to pull the trigger on something different besides Garrett. I thought Kitna might get OC, but maybe they are giving KM his shot before they do an overhaul.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Always thought provoking, never boring, and always relevant!
I think the Cowboys are ready to pull the trigger on something different besides Garrett. I thought Kitna might get OC, but maybe they are giving KM his shot before they do an overhaul.
No one is surviving Dak thus far. In 4 seasons this will be his 2nd OC and 3rd QB coach. It seems logical Garrett won’t survive either.

Too bad Jethro and Son will. But they appear All In. Which means no ones job is safe.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, wonder if we have stats on records of OC without any experience ?

Garrett was 13-3 in his first season as OC with only 2 years experience as a QB coach.

Does that mean the QB and talent has more impact on success than the coach?
DefCos hadn't caught up to his schemes yet?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one is surviving Dak thus far. In 4 seasons this will be his 2nd OC and 3rd QB coach. It seems logical Garrett won’t survive either.

Too bad Jethro and Son will. But they appear All In. Which means no ones job is safe.
:clap:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Norv Turner considered our greatest OC in Jerry era never had the level of success anywhere else. Did he become stupid or is coaching more about the talent?
What he did with Ladanian Tomlinson was success. I think when coaches leave Dallas fans just do not pay attention.