Comparing Kellen Moore to other NFC OCs

reddyuta

Reaction score
he doesnt have to change the whole offense and likely wont change much but it would really help if teams wont know the play we are running.

GenoT

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare our new OC to the rest of the OCs in the NFC in terms of comparing years of NFL coaching experience as well as years of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator. Not surprisingly, Kellen Moore is the least experienced OC in the NFC. I’m certainly NOT saying that means he won’t be successful; I’m just interested in looking at comparative years of experience with the rest of the NFC.

Before getting into the specifics or each NFC OC, here are the stats regarding average years experience for all NFC OCs as an NFL coach, as well as avg years experience as an NFL OC:
  • Average years experience as an NFL coach: 14 years
  • Average years experience as an NFL offensive Coordinator: 6 years
All NFC Coordinators by team with yrs as an NFL coach and as an OC
NFC EAST

• DAL: Kellen Moore- 1 year exp as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • WASH: Kevin O’Connell- 4 yrs as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • PHI: Mike Groh- 6 yrs as NFL coach/1 year as an OC
  • NYG: Mike Shula- 24 years as NFL coach/7 years as an OC
NFC CENTRAL
  • CHI- Mark Helfrich- 2 yrs exp as NFL coach/1 as an OC
  • DET- Darrell Bevell- 17 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • GB- Nathaniel Hackett- 11 yrs as an NFL coach/7 as an OC
  • MN- Kevin Stefanski- 15 yrs as NFL coach/7 yrs as an OC
NFC SOUTH
  • ATL- Dirk Koetter- 11 yrs as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • CAR- Norv Turner- 31 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • NO- Pete Carmichael, Jr- 18 yrs as NFL coach/10 as an OC
  • TB- Byron Leftwich- 3 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
NFC WEST
  • ARI- Tom Clements- 20 yrs as NFL coach/5 yrs as an OC
  • LA- (shared) Aaron Cromar- 18 yrs as NFL coach/2 as an OC; Shane Waldron- 5 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
  • SF- Kyle Shanihan- (also serves as HC) 14 yrs exp as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • SEA- Brian Schoettenheimer-19 years NFL coach/11 as an OC
Of all the NFC OCs, the ones closest to Moore in experience are CHI’s Mark Helfrich, Kevin O’Connell of PHI and Byron Leftwich of TB. All 3 have slightly more experience although it’s minimal with all of them.

We don’t know yet know if Kellen Moore is the next great OC. Being inexperienced is not always an indication of future problems. But we do know, he’s the youngest and least experienced OC in the NFC. For probably many reasons, most teams select an OC with more experience.Im certainly hoping young Kellen Moore is a big success.

I do find it interesting that Moore was selected as OC in a year when our HC is supposedlyin the hot seat.
Your thoughts?
How about we attempt no comparisons until Kellen Moore actually OC’s at least one regular-season NFL game?
:facepalm:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that you put a criteria on this when you said NFL coaching experience and NFL OC experience, but a guy like Helfrich is WAY MORE experienced than Moore when you factor in college experience. Helfrich was a head coach at a major P5 program in Oregon for 3 years as well as like 8 years of OC experience at Colorado and Oregon. Moore has ONE YEAR of coaching at any level. Helfrich has over 20.
Excellent point. Several OCs on this list had major college coaching experience, including HC.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The only thing that I would add to this thread is that Moore has been around football and specifically coaching his entire life. And while he didn't have the physical ability to be a great QB, some are better at coaching. This in no way suggests he will be great, in fact I expect a learning curve. And fans will come undone if that happens.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the inexperience of Moore is overblown because he is not coming in cold off the street; he knows the team, including the coaching staff, and the team knows him. And does anyone think he's on an island? You can downplay Garrett all you want but he was an effective OC and helped develop a QB that became proficient at reading defenses.

Think about having a HC in his contract year with a new inexperienced OC, but think of that from the positive side. What if Garrett proves himself a coach of coaches with the young OC and brings him along because his future depends on Moore's future? I am not a Garrett fan as a sideline HC but he would shift my thinking if he can bring Moore, Kitna and Prescott along and have a more NFL friendly offense. Many are expecting, and some even wishing for, failure by Garrett and Moore but what if they surprise them?

And I've got to use my disclaimer here, as usual. It is not, necessarily, the play called but how the play is executed. In the SB, Carroll caught a lot of heat on that play that cost them the game but was that on him? Was that a bad play called or poorly executed by the QB?

The "what if" should be applied to any offensive play that does not work as designed. A poor block, poor read, poor pass, drop, fumble or pick can derail the best designed plays. How many times each weekend do you see the QB not even see the open receiver? Has the play not worked to perfection as designed and called at the right time? All comes down to execution.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Norv Turner considered our greatest OC in Jerry era never had the level of success anywhere else. Did he become stupid or is coaching more about the talent?

Which probably means the Moore Experiment will go as Dak goes.
Aikman's favorite OC, IIRC.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the inexperience of Moore is overblown because he is not coming in cold off the street; he knows the team, including the coaching staff, and the team knows him. And does anyone think he's on an island? You can downplay Garrett all you want but he was an effective OC and helped develop a QB that became proficient at reading defenses.

Think about having a HC in his contract year with a new inexperienced OC, but think of that from the positive side. What if Garrett proves himself a coach of coaches with the young OC and brings him along because his future depends on Moore's future? I am not a Garrett fan as a sideline HC but he would shift my thinking if he can bring Moore, Kitna and Prescott along and have a more NFL friendly offense. Many are expecting, and some even wishing for, failure by Garrett and Moore but what if they surprise them?

And I've got to use my disclaimer here, as usual. It is not, necessarily, the play called but how the play is executed. In the SB, Carroll caught a lot of heat on that play that cost them the game but was that on him? Was that a bad play called or poorly executed by the QB?

The "what if" should be applied to any offensive play that does not work as designed. A poor block, poor read, poor pass, drop, fumble or pick can derail the best designed plays. How many times each weekend do you see the QB not even see the open receiver? Has the play not worked to perfection as designed and called at the right time? All comes down to execution.
Astute observation. Good objectivity. My college philosophy prof would have liked this.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
How can one be compared to another if Moore has not held the job at all?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I think Leftwich actually called plays midway through the year in AZ last year even if he didn’t have the official title.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
20 years of college coaching experience, including 7 as OC and 4 as head coach of Oregon.

Was their passing game coordinator last year.

He was the Cardinals OC last year.
Thanks. I missed that Leftwich had been an OC one year.

Dre11

Reaction score
What he did with Ladanian Tomlinson was success. I think when coaches leave Dallas fans just do not pay attention.

Ladanian was a huge talent, before Norv, still you wouldn't say Norv had big success once he left Dallas.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Ladanian was a huge talent, before Norv, still you wouldn't say Norv had big success once he left Dallas.
LT had his best years under Norm if Im not mistaken. Norv has never been a great HC but he always maximized his style of offense.

foofighters

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare our new OC to the rest of the OCs in the NFC in terms of comparing years of NFL coaching experience as well as years of experience as an NFL offensive coordinator. Not surprisingly, Kellen Moore is the least experienced OC in the NFC. I’m certainly NOT saying that means he won’t be successful; I’m just interested in looking at comparative years of experience with the rest of the NFC.

Before getting into the specifics or each NFC OC, here are the stats regarding average years experience for all NFC OCs as an NFL coach, as well as avg years experience as an NFL OC:
  • Average years experience as an NFL coach: 14 years
  • Average years experience as an NFL offensive Coordinator: 6 years
All NFC Coordinators by team with yrs as an NFL coach and as an OC
NFC EAST

• DAL: Kellen Moore- 1 year exp as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • WASH: Kevin O’Connell- 4 yrs as NFL coach/0 years exp as OC
  • PHI: Mike Groh- 6 yrs as NFL coach/1 year as an OC
  • NYG: Mike Shula- 24 years as NFL coach/7 years as an OC
NFC CENTRAL
  • CHI- Mark Helfrich- 2 yrs exp as NFL coach/1 as an OC
  • DET- Darrell Bevell- 17 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • GB- Nathaniel Hackett- 11 yrs as an NFL coach/7 as an OC
  • MN- Kevin Stefanski- 15 yrs as NFL coach/7 yrs as an OC
NFC SOUTH
  • ATL- Dirk Koetter- 11 yrs as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • CAR- Norv Turner- 31 yrs as NFL coach/12 as an OC
  • NO- Pete Carmichael, Jr- 18 yrs as NFL coach/10 as an OC
  • TB- Byron Leftwich- 3 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
NFC WEST
  • ARI- Tom Clements- 20 yrs as NFL coach/5 yrs as an OC
  • LA- (shared) Aaron Cromar- 18 yrs as NFL coach/2 as an OC; Shane Waldron- 5 yrs as NFL coach/0 as an OC
  • SF- Kyle Shanihan- (also serves as HC) 14 yrs exp as NFL coach/9 as an OC
  • SEA- Brian Schoettenheimer-19 years NFL coach/11 as an OC
Of all the NFC OCs, the ones closest to Moore in experience are CHI’s Mark Helfrich, Kevin O’Connell of PHI and Byron Leftwich of TB. All 3 have slightly more experience although it’s minimal with all of them.

We don’t know yet know if Kellen Moore is the next great OC. Being inexperienced is not always an indication of future problems. But we do know, he’s the youngest and least experienced OC in the NFC. For probably many reasons, most teams select an OC with more experience.Im certainly hoping young Kellen Moore is a big success.

I do find it interesting that Moore was selected as OC in a year when our HC is supposedlyin the hot seat.
Your thoughts?
1. Waste time. Everyone's gotta start somewhere
2. You forgot about JG. Jerry hired an unproven QB coach out of Miami who had done nothing there in two years and gave him the keys to what was an explosive offense.

Dre11

Reaction score
LT had his best years under Norm if Im not mistaken. Norv has never been a great HC but he always maximized his style of offense.

Again, LT was a great talent without Norv. While Norv may have had some influence, given LT talent, how much was Norv.

75boyz

Reaction score
It is ridiculous, no question. Moore is such an outlier, especially for a team that is expected to contend. Either they know something the rest of the world does not or this flames out. We all have heard the stories about how Moore used to draw up plays to dazzle people with. Come on, this is the NFL. This team is built to win right now. Either he is a true prodigy or this might be the dumbest decision in Jerry's tenure (and that is saying something). I also can't believe how much credibility Garrett has lost. When he was hired we were told the man was an offensive genius and QB guru. Now nearly 10 years later his coaching career is dependent on a 30 year old first time offensive coordinator. When you think about it, it makes no sense. Is this another guy that gets to learn on the job? Really? I think the season rests on whether or not Moore is that prodigy.

Really good post. Excellent questions that require answers from this years performance.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Again, LT was a great talent without Norv. While Norv may have had some influence, given LT talent, how much was Norv.
I guess it was a coincidence that 2 of the greatest TD makers of all time were in a Norv Turner ran offense during their prime. 2 different types of backs at that.