CFZ Comparing The Head Coaches JJ has hired

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the 33 seasons Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys, he has hired 8 different head coaches. The combined regular season records of those 33 seasons is 285-240 (.542) and has qualified for the playoffs 16 of 33 seasons, with a 15-13 playoff record, and 3 SB titles. Amazingly, 12 of those 15 playoff wins were won from 1991-96. In the period of 1997-2022, the playoff record is 3-10.

Looking at the 8 HCs Jerry has hired, it’s clear: The first one he hired was the best. Jimmy Johnson won 7 of the 15 playoff games in the Jerry era, more than any other HC under Jerry, and that was in 5 years. Barry Switzer won 5 playoff games, but we all know, those wins were mostly with players Jimmy drafted and developed.

So let’s look closer at the 8 head coaches and how they have done:
  • Jimmy Johnson: 5 seasons, 2 SB titles, 44-36 reg season record, 7-1 playoff record, made playoffs 3/5 seasons as HC. HOF COACH.
  • Barry Switzer: 4 seasons, 1 SB title, 40-24 reg season record, 5-2 playoff record, made playoffs 3/4 seasons as HC.
  • Chan Gailey- 2 seasons, 18-14 reg season record, 0-2 playoff record, made playoffs 2/2 seasons.
  • Dave Campo- 3 seasons, 15-33 reg season record, never made the playoffs in 3 seasons.
  • Bill Parcells- 4 seasons, 34-30 reg season record, 0-2 in the playoffs, made playoffs in 2/4 seasons. (Parcells is a HOF Coach, but mostly based on time with other teams)
  • Wade Phillips- 3.5 seasons, 34-22 reg season record, 1-2 in playoffs, made playoffs in 2/3.5 seasons.
  • Jason Garrett- 9.5 seasons, 85-67 reg season record, 2-3 in playoffs, made playoffs 3/9.5 seasons.
  • Mike McCarthy- 2 seasons, 18-15 reg season record, 0-1 in l,ayoffs, made playoffs 1/2 seasons.
Conclusions:
  • Jimmy was clearly the best HC Jerry ever hired. He won nearly half of the total playoff wins the team has had under Jerry.
  • Between Jimmy and Barry S, the Cowboys won 12 of the 15 playoff games the team has won under Jerry.
  • It still amazes me that Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 9.5 seasons here as HC. That’s terrible. What other NFL team would have kept a HC that long?
  • Of the 7 guys who are “former Cowboys HCs”, only Jimmy and Chan Gailey ever got another NFL head coaching gig. Parcells of course retired and so did Barry.
  • Being a HC under Jerry Jones has not been an attractive HC re-hire after leaving Dallas.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett also had 3 straight win and in season ending games. Of course lost all 3.
Then later on he had another win and in, and lost, it may have been 2 more, can’t recall right now.

Anyway that is pretty bad on top of everything else.
After his 3 straight 8-8 and win and in losses he should have been fired then.

Jerry is his own worst enemy on that loyalty. I think this was more when the real frustration set in for the fans.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
In today's NFL, it clearly shows NOT the quarterback, NOT the defense, but the coaching/coaches is what wins championships.

There's also no such thing as an elite quarterback. If that were true, Jimmy G, Goff, Foles etc... would ALL be elite. Yet Wodgers, (one ring in 16 seasons) is still mentioned as elite. Hilarious!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course this completely ignores what the coach inherited. Parcells took over a laughing stock. Maybe the worst team in the league. Fat Wade took over a young playoff contender.

For as great as Jimmy was I'm not sure he could have done what Bill did here. Jimmy had full personnel control. Jerry was a non issue while he was dealing with the financial recovery of the franchise. Bill had to rebuild that mess while working with and massaging the egos of the lunatic and his incompetent son. You'll never convince me his time here was a failure. He left us much, much better off.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the 33 seasons Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys, he has hired 8 different head coaches. The combined regular season records of those 33 seasons is 285-240 (.542) and has qualified for the playoffs 16 of 33 seasons, with a 15-13 playoff record, and 3 SB titles. Amazingly, 12 of those 15 playoff wins were won from 1991-96. In the period of 1997-2022, the playoff record is 3-10.

Looking at the 8 HCs Jerry has hired, it’s clear: The first one he hired was the best. Jimmy Johnson won 7 of the 15 playoff games in the Jerry era, more than any other HC under Jerry, and that was in 5 years. Barry Switzer won 5 playoff games, but we all know, those wins were mostly with players Jimmy drafted and developed.

• Jimmy Johnson: 5 seasons, 2 SB titles, 44-36 reg season record, 7-1 playoff record, made playoffs 3/5 seasons as HC. HOF COACH.
  • Barry Switzer: 4 seasons, 1 SB title, 40-24 reg season record, 5-2 playoff record, made playoffs 3/4 seasons as HC.
  • Chan Gailey- 2 seasons, 18-14 reg season record, 0-2 playoff record, made playoffs 2/2 seasons.
  • Dave Campo- 3 seasons, 15-33 reg season record, never made the playoffs in 3 seasons.
  • Bill Parcells- 4 seasons, 34-30 reg season record, 0-2 in the playoffs, made playoffs in 2/4 seasons. (Parcells is a HOF Coach, but mostly based on time with other teams)
  • Wade Phillips- 3.5 seasons, 34-22 reg season record, 1-2 in playoffs, made playoffs in 2/3.5 seasons.
  • Jason Garrett- 9.5 seasons, 85-67 reg season record, 2-3 in playoffs, made playoffs 3/9.5 seasons.
  • Mike McCarthy- 2 seasons, 18-15 reg season record, 0-1 in l,ayoffs, made playoffs 1/2 seasons.
Conclusions:
  • Jimmy was clearly the best HC Jerry ever hired. He won nearly half of the total playoff wins the team has had under Jerry.
  • Between Jimmy and Barry S, the Cowboys won 12 of the 15 playoff games the team has won under Jerry.
  • It still amazes me that Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 9.5 seasons here as HC. That’s terrible. What other NFL team would have kept a HC that long?
  • Of the 7 guys who are “former Cowboys HCs”, only Jimmy and Chan Gailey ever got another NFL head coaching gig. Parcells of course retired and so did Barry.
  • Being a HC under Jerry Jones has not been an attractive HC re-hire after leaving Dallas.
JJ had no salary cap.......the rest sucked.....Parcells had a name but just wanted a paycheck

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Chan Gailey took over when the wheels were coming off. NFL parity rules started kicking in and the dynasty was done.

Dave Campo oversaw the wheels completely falling off. Clearly a bad hire.

Parcells had cleanup duty and did well all things considered. I think he might have competed for a Super Bowl had he lasted another season or two.

Wade Philips always seemed to have a short shelf life as a coach wherever he was.

I honestly don’t know what to say about Jason Garrett. I liked the hire at first. It did not work out, though. Poor Romo.

I guess Mike McCarthy should be given his full term whatever that turns out to be. He seems more like the coaches that did not have success in Dallas than he does the ones who did.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Conclusions:
Garrett the worst of the bunch by far!!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chan Gailey took over when the wheels were coming off. NFL parity rules started kicking in and the dynasty was done.

Dave Campo oversaw the wheels completely falling off. Clearly a bad hire.

Parcells had cleanup duty and did well all things considered. I think he might have competed for a Super Bowl had he lasted another season or two.

Wade Philips always seemed to have a short shelf life as a coach wherever he was.

I honestly don’t know what to say about Jason Garrett. I liked the hire at first. It did not work out, though. Poor Romo.

I guess Mike McCarthy should be given his full term whatever that turns out to be. He seems more like the coaches that did not have success in Dallas than he does the ones who did.
Wow...some rare sympathy for Tony Romo.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Lol that list is abysmal, though I'll always contend that Jerry let go of Gailey too early.

I would've done nasty, unforgivable things to have the Cowboys make the postseason in consecutive seasons again.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I think we're in the same boat. Everyone says Jimmy won those SB's. I contend then he should have won in Miami.

It is apparent Jimmy benefitted by no cap and Jerry's money, as much as Jerry benefitted by Jimmy's coaching acumen.
I dont know how this ever became a thing - please name all these big ticket free agents Jerry got....Sanders and who else?

And we won 2 Super Bowls - should have been 3 in a row - BEFORE Deion ever got here.

The vast majority of the team was drafted, traded for or were plan B free agents (guys that were kinda nobodies.)

Flamma

Reaction score

Conclusions:

Just annex Switzer to Jimmy Johnson. That was all Jimmy.

Jason Garrett. What other team would have kept a HC that long? Cincinnati Bengals. :) Marvin Lewis.

jnday

Reaction score
I think we're in the same boat. Everyone says Jimmy won those SB's. I contend then he should have won in Miami.

It is apparent Jimmy benefitted by no cap and Jerry's money, as much as Jerry benefitted by Jimmy's coaching acumen.
Jimmy didn’t do a bad job in Miami. He didn’t reach a Super Bowl, but he did better than many of you give him credit for. He walked in to a salary cap problem and he left Miami with a great defense. He was there for four seasons and the team was in much better shape when he left there than it was when he arrived.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score

how? The team in 1992 had the 20th ranked team salary! let’s stop pretending like he bought those championships. Niners were far and away the #1 team salary at the time and the reason there’s a salary cap in the first place!

CWR

Reaction score

Conclusions:

Garrett was the absolute master of excuses. Dude had 9 lives.