Connor McGovern is terrible

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by stilltheguru, May 3, 2022.

1. black label

black label Well-Known Member

5,114 Messages
    7,499 Likes Received
    lmao bra

2. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

19,993 Messages
    17,302 Likes Received
    McGovern is a good backup and mediocre starter who found a productive role on offense as the 6th lineman on the field.

Hope he's been practicing at the jugs machine all offseason.

blueblood70, Bullflop and conner01 like this.
  3. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

19,993 Messages
    17,302 Likes Received

I remember years when we plugged in veterans and said that it would take a good 6 games for them to develop chemistry along the oline.

Tough row to hoe to come in midseason after getting extremely limited practice snaps once the season started.

Barring injury Tyler Smith *will* start. But conceivable that he starts at RT over Steele, with McGovern taking LG. It's a best of 3 competition.

NotForLong likes this.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Cowboy Fan

41,730 Messages
    16,579 Likes Received
    I am intrigued by Josh Ball after his redshirt year.

5. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

5,859 Messages
    7,882 Likes Received
    I really miss Ron Leary.

starfan1, NotForLong and BAT like this.
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

16,897 Messages
    11,414 Likes Received
    Think of McGovern as starting FB and backup RG.

That way you're not setting yourself up for heartache.

Bullflop likes this.
  7. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,100 Messages
    21,128 Likes Received
    You gotta respect a guy who goes the extra mile to make himself valuable to the team
    A perfect backup is a guy that finds a way to help out by either ST or in his case a FB/TE in certain packages.

8. NotForLong

NotForLong Well-Known Member

5,808 Messages
    6,540 Likes Received
    Me too . . . And Fred Beard.

Thats why I am so hyped up over Smith

plymkr and BAT like this.
  9. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,112 Messages
    27,132 Likes Received
    It's great for Tyler Smith that he likely won't have a tough act to follow. :lmao:
    Truth be told, as a LG, McGovern makes a pretty dang good fullback!! :muttley:

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  10. LittleD

LittleD Well-Known Member

7,164 Messages
    5,542 Likes Received
    Our backups are just so bad? I would suspect that if leaves in FA next off season, he will get a contracts for 5-7mil per year. I guess other teams don't know anything about OL.

conner01 likes this.
  11. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

13,937 Messages
    7,614 Likes Received
    Due the expenditures of the team at other positions and some positions getting ready to get big pay increases they chose not to re-sign CW. CW was a decent NFL starting guard, but he is not a guy you sign to a large 2nd contract hopefully you already have his replacement on the roster when his contract was up.

CowboysFaninHouston likes this.
  12. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

23,320 Messages
    12,222 Likes Received
    oh, I don't disagree. Williams deserved a very small contract that if you find a good starting LG, then you put him on the bench for depth and not think about it twice.

13. TequilaCowboy

TequilaCowboy Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    3,275 Likes Received
    Hope he's learning to operate the fork lift at his local Home Depot. J/K....or am I? Nah, even as a mediocre starter he has more money stashed away to not have to work, period. If the FO was halfway smart, they would trade him this off season and get something for him.

14. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

26,867 Messages
    19,485 Likes Received
    you mean every time he blows a technique or play in practice, he has to stand in his boxers and allow the jug machine to hit him with football, maybe in berrys??:lmao2:

15. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

10,687 Messages
    8,961 Likes Received
    Just because McGovern hasn't made it out as a full time starter, should not mean he'll be useless trash as a backup.

- The big difference between McGovern's position role vs Terrence Steele, is we've already invested a high price as a 3rd round pick in McGovern,
    and we already have one of the better starting OGs in the NFL at RG in Zack Martin, I would not dare think they drafted McGovern to compete with Martin,
    and no there never been a thought to move Martin to LG, just to insert McGovern.
    That target had to have been competition with Williams.

- Especially when i think this current OL coach is and has never been fond of McGovern, and McGov's mediocre starting streak as a failed replacement
    for the benched Williams, only further cemented his future doom here in Dallas.
    He'll be the next Conner to be allowed to walk once his rookie contract expires.

- Steele was an undrafted rookie, there wasn't a big investment in him, he was low risk/high reward.
    If we even got him to be a serviceable utility swing tackle ala Jeremy Parnell, that would be great.
    But apparently coaches clearly convinced the vastly improved Steele could be a starter at RT over a 17+ game period.

Techsass, buybuydandavis and BAT like this.
  16. Ranched

Ranched "We Are Penn State"

32,930 Messages
    80,337 Likes Received
    McGovern has looked much better on the right side than left, replacing Martin a couple of times over the last two years. But after his failure to impress at LG last season, asks how much can Dallas really trust him in 2022.

BAT likes this.
  17. Kalyan

Kalyan Well-Known Member

964 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    He is a big disappointment for a 2nd rounder, not able to win the LG position and we had to spend a 1st round pick at this position

18. TNCowboy

TNCowboy Double Trouble

9,586 Messages
    1,737 Likes Received
    LOL he's garbage and people try to dispute it. Just watch him play. When you can't beat out our awful center and Conner Williams, you're not an NFL player. We had 2 hacks starting, and McGovern couldn't even get on the field. All you need to know.

stilltheguru likes this.
  19. TNCowboy

TNCowboy Double Trouble

9,586 Messages
    1,737 Likes Received
    That is 100% the only reason he's still on the roster.

20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

16,897 Messages
    11,414 Likes Received
    Philbin's disaster OL juggling is something I have not forgotten.

He cost the Cowboys at least 2 games with those poor decisions.

Techsass likes this.