Twitter: Connor Williams will have to deal with this

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rookie playing a new position. Collins took half of last season to get up to speed at RT, and he was a T in college.

An offseason in an NFL training program will do him good, but we should expect continued improvement as he learns a new position, and gets in sync with the oline.
C-Will makes less mental mistakes than Collins or Tyron...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Clowney is a scary dude. He was billed as a speed rusher coming out of college, but what has set him apart so far is that kind of Terminator-ish strength, especially in run defense.

Bottom line is that he can make any of our blockers out there look stupid if he wants to. Prime Tyron could probably take his punch, but I don't think any of our other 4 guys have more natural strength than Nelson (maybe La'El?) and Clowney popped him back like a blocking dummy.

Also - dude sets the hardest edge in football, so it's not Connor Williams I'm worried about, it's Geoff Swaim. THAT'S the matchup that's going to get ugly.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
yes..he was that way in New England too. But when the real games began,he apparently was able to flip that switch and be solid. He protected Brady well at starting RT. New England didn't want him to go. I think he's a guy that needs game reps to be good.Some players are like that.

Yes that could be@ Femming. I know Williams will be challenged by JJ Watt and company against Houston. I agree with you about Collins being a better fit at G. I don't see tinkering with the O-line in season tho. When I was a kid, I only asked for things at Christmas that I thought I had a reasonable shot at getting :)

Rayman70

Reaction score
Didn't Lewis give up a big play on one of his only chances?
well...apparently I missed that. I made a trip to the ER at the hospital that day. Guess that was one of the plays I missed. Watched the play on youtube after you all mentioned it. Your right, he got burnt badly lol. Sorry I ever doubted Richards coaching prowess. Dude knows his players better than we do obviously.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Williams has been better then Nelson so far. Not sure the hate this dude gets. It's like some of y'all see a player with a bad play or two and think he is garbage and that's just not the case.

Yep. He had a tough matchup with Kawann Short, who is about the worst possible matchup for him, but he has gotten better every game, which is kind of what I expected.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
well...apparently I missed that. I made a trip to the ER at the hospital that day. Guess that was one of the plays I missed. Watched the play on youtube after you all mentioned it. Your right, he got burnt badly lol. Sorry I ever doubted Richards coaching prowess. Dude knows his players better than we do obviously.

I find it strange that when our CB's were being beaten a couple of years ago it was because they were giving too much of a cushion and playing off and we blamed Rod. Now our CB's are playing tight, man-to-man coverage under Richard and getting beaten for big chunk plays and Richard is god. I'm sorry but in the past two games our secondary has given up big plays. Richard may be giving them heck on the sidelines but I don't see that our secondary has improved very much. Some of that is talent at S but other than look the part on the side lines I don't see that Richard has changed much. I must be missing something. It just seemed that when the Lions needed to score, there were WR's open down field and they made plays on a secondary that was supposed to be great under Richard. Just not seeing it

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yep. He had a tough matchup with Kawann Short, who is about the worst possible matchup for him, but he has gotten better every game, which is kind of what I expected.
First game as a rookie and goes against Poe and Short. Does anybody remember Frederick against Poe his rookie year? Other than 4-6 plays I though Williams has played really decent. Collins and Smith has been worst, the good news is they are starting to gel a little bit

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
First game as a rookie and goes against Poe and Short. Does anybody remember Frederick against Poe his rookie year? Other than 4-6 plays I though Williams has played really decent. Collins and Smith has been worst, the good news is they are starting to gel a little bit

The line will be challenged this Sunday. I agree, Collins has not been great at RT. As a group, they all played better Sunday. Pass and run blocking. Add Swaim to that list. I hope they're starting to gel as you say. Big test this week

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The line will be challenged this Sunday. I agree, Collins has not been great at RT. As a group, they all played better Sunday. Pass and run blocking. Add Swaim to that list. I hope they're starting to gel as you say. Big test this week
Quick question, If you could have the Giants OL or the Cowboys OL right now which would you take?

Watch what the Giants did to Houston. Not saying it won't be a challenge but if the Giants can move the ball and score and protect Eli so can we.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Quick question, If you could have the Giants OL or the Cowboys OL right now which would you take?

Watch what the Giants did to Houston. Not saying it won't be a challenge but if the Giants can move the ball and score and protect Eli so can we.

Giants O-line or ours? Ours, any day, any time. I'm a little worried about Deshone Watson too lol. Ok, you convinced me, hope you're right.

John813

Reaction score
Texans may be a bad team, but they still have talent here and there that can cause upsets.
Curious who Jones covers between Fuller and Hopkins.
That Keke Coutee rookie has gained some trust from Watson too.

Not worried about their run game.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I think its the opposite.
he's gotta deal with Connor.
screw houston.
:starspin:Go Cowboys:starspin:

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Clowney has averaged 3 games/season so there's a great chance of one of his 'ailments' cropping up and forcing him to miss this week's game. And since I've never been one to wish a serious injury on ANY player, I'll avoid asking for the obvious high ankle sprain, a neck stinger or a dislocated finger and I'll go with his old standby...food poisoning. Doing so will force Clowney into having to deal with the porcelain god and not Connor Williams. He should be good within 24/48 hours of said 'squirts'. :facepalm: