News: Cooper: "I love the play calls"

Haimerej

Reaction score
He said more-

"I even loved the offense last year." What? Why?

"I think it gives me the opportunity to really display my skillset, the plays that we run." But I'm told the playcalling was horrible.

So what's different? "It's not a whole lot different. We're really running the same plays but we're disguising them... Basically running them out of different formations and using shift and motions to confuse the defense."

-Source

Will this be enough? What say you?

My take- the simplicity of the game is further reinforced. Teams pretty much operate off the same principles across the board. Presnap reads and defender alignments/techniques determine where the ball goes 90% of the time. I've never been one to harp on playcalling. Execution has and will always be the most important component. It's nice to try to confuse the defense. But most defenses operate off of simple principles, too.

Hopefully this new presnap stuff gives an edge, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Especially if the players aren't executing and on the same page.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
It will end up being the same exact crappy offense. Why? Because, as we are finding out, it is the same crappy offense. They simply promoted Moore and told him to innovate the pre-snap formations but the plays have to remain the same. So it’s still Garrett’s stale run and punt offense and teams will take all of two weeks to figure out the pre-snap trickery. Result: nothing will be different. It will simply be up to the players to perform better.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He said more-

"I think it gives me the opportunity to really display my skillset, the plays that we run." But I'm told the playcalling was horrible.

So what's different? "It's not a whole lot different. We're really running the same plays but we're disguising them... Basically running them out of different formations and using shift and motions to confuse the defense."

-Source

My take- the simplicity of the game is further reinforced. Teams pretty much operate off the same principles across the board. Presnap reads and defender alignments/techniques determine where the ball goes 90% of the time. I've never been one to harp on playcalling. Execution has and will always be the most important component. It's nice to try to confuse the defense. But most defenses operate off of simple principles, too.

Hopefully this new presnap stuff gives an edge, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Especially if the players aren't executing and on the same page.

And this is what scares me...Can Prescott handle this??? I have my doubts w/ his Mississippi State background. It's not like he graduated from Stanford. Throw in his inaccuracy...I'd wait on that extention to make sure he is the right guy for this offense. Like it or not....Kellen Moore is here ot stay. Too many people are already endorsing him as the savior this team needs. Question is..Is Prescott the right guy to pull the trigger?:rolleyes:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He said more-

-Source

that's what I have been arguing all along. the route trees in the NFL are pretty much the same. its pre-snap motions and the combination of routes that make the difference. expectations are that we will use more pre-snap motion and different types of personnel and hopefully combination of route trees that push the defense and finds holes in the defense.

you are not going to see a whole new offense installed in one off season and see any success. its Garrett's offense plus hopefully better game day play calling which is key key key to success.

Haimerej

Reaction score
And this is what scares me...Can Prescott handle this??? I have my doubts w/ his Mississippi State background. It's not like he graduated from Stanford. Throw in his inaccuracy...I'd wait on that extention to make sure he is the right guy for this offense. Like it or not....Kellen Moore is here ot stay. Too many people are already endorsing him as the savior this team needs. Question is..Is Prescott the right guy to pull the trigger?:rolleyes:

I hope so. I haven't been a cheerleader for Dak but I recently rewatched last season and have to admit he seemed to improve as it progressed. He appeared to get through reads quicker and be more decisive towards the end of the year.

GenoT

Reaction score
He said more-

-Source

Agree 100% about execution > play-calling.

It remains to be seen if we have the talent (roster building) and preparation (coaching) to consistently execute — no matter what plays are called and who’s calling them.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It will end up being the same exact crappy offense. Why? Because, as we are finding out, it is the same crappy offense. They simply promoted Moore and told him to innovate the pre-snap formations but the plays have to remain the same. So it’s still Garrett’s stale run and punt offense and teams will take all of two weeks to figure out the pre-snap trickery. Result: nothing will be different. It will simply be up to the players to perform better.
my prediction,

if this offense start to have success, then everyone will want garrett fired and moore promoted as the genius head coach...probably the first 8 or 9 games....then offense will slow down a bit as DCs have more film, understand the pre-snap movement and formations and same people will scream, who the heck's idea was it to promote moore and this is garrett ruining him with his offensive philosophy....

the fickle fans!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm glad Cooper feels that way about the play calling from Moore. But honestly, the biggest improvement on the offense will depend on Dak doing his homework and transferring that knowledge on the field by quickly reading defenses and making adjustments on the fly. If the QB can't react to these things he is greatly disadvantaged and the best play calling in the world can't make up for it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Him saying he loved the play calling last year was him not wanting to get into it with the media. We all know how messy the media can be at times.

As far as the same plays being presented differently: Do we really think Garrett's playbook only has 30 plays. Every NFL playbook has over 150 plays. So the pre-snap motions is just Moore putting players in a better position to win on their routes. The 150 page playbook still has the same terminology and routes. So it's the same plays same routes being ran from different positions, aka misdirection. Let's just hope Moore has been freed up to call more of a variety of plays than the 40 or so they repeatedly ran last year.

Haimerej

Reaction score
What intrigued me enough to start this thread is Cooper saying what he said about last season. Many critics of Linehan used Cooper saying he and Dak changed a play to a go instead of a comeback as evidence that Scott's playcalling sucked. Here's that same guy saying he liked the playcalling last year because it allowed him to, "really display [his] skillset."

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
Was it considered a crappy offense when 9 was there? Please be honest

Haimerej

Reaction score
Him saying he loved the play calling last year was him not wanting to get into it with the media. We all know how messy the media can be at times.

How so? He offered that unprompted. The question was, "What do you think of what Kellen's been doing with the offense so far?"

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Running seven variotions from the same formation is widley different from last year....

EXACTLY!!!!! If you run 1 play with only 1 or 2 variations, the defense can easily identify the “tells” and stop it. But, if you run the same play from 7+ formations/packages, the defense has to think just that 1 extra second that allows folks the ability to succeed more often than not.