News: Cooper: "I love the play calls"

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
What intrigued me enough to start this thread is Cooper saying what he said about last season. Many critics of Linehan used Cooper saying he and Dak changed a play to a go instead of a comeback as evidence that Scott's playcalling sucked. Here's that same guy saying he liked the playcalling last year because it allowed him to, "really display [his] skillset."

Cooper is clearly ********ting and just making sure he says the right things with his pending contract extension in the air.

“It’s interesting because I had another stop route on that play and they were, if you were watching, really sitting on those stop routes. And I was like “this is ridiculous.” So when I broke the huddle I was kinda mad and I was like ‘Dak come on!’ And he was like “Just run it bro.” And I guess he thought about it again and he kinda singled a ‘go route’ and I was elated when he did that’s. And I took off, caught the ball and scored .”

This is word for word from Coop’s mouth. And this is after being with the team for what? Two months tops?

Haimerej

Reaction score
Cooper is clearly ********ting and just making sure he says the right things with his pending contract extension in the air.

“It’s interesting because I had another stop route on that play and they were, if you were watching, really sitting on those stop routes. And I was like “this is ridiculous.” So when I broke the huddle I was kinda mad and I was like ‘Dak come on!’ And he was like “Just run it bro.” And I guess he thought about it again and he kinda singled a ‘go route’ and I was elated when he did that’s. And I took off, caught the ball and scored .”

This is word for word from Coop’s mouth. And this is after being with the team for what? Two months tops?

It's also just 1 play.

Why do you think Cooper felt the need to remark on last season when asked about Moore? His comment was completely unprompted and irrelevant to the question. Completely unnecessary and unrelated to his pending contract.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It will end up being the same exact crappy offense. Why? Because, as we are finding out, it is the same crappy offense. They simply promoted Moore and told him to innovate the pre-snap formations but the plays have to remain the same. So it’s still Garrett’s stale run and punt offense and teams will take all of two weeks to figure out the pre-snap trickery. Result: nothing will be different. It will simply be up to the players to perform better.

Garrett's offense has averaged top 10 throughout his tenure.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
It's also just 1 play.

Why do you think Cooper felt the need to remark on last season when asked about Moore? His comment was completely unprompted and irrelevant to the question. Completely unnecessary and unrelated to his pending contract.

Correct. 1 play after a win against a division rival to put us in the drivers seat for the NFC East crown. The fact that he went out of his way to verbally demonstrate his frustration (“this is ridiculous” “I was mad”, “Dak come on bro” with Dak telling gim to just run it”) is indicative of his feelings of the play calls after only being in the system for two months.

Allen Hurns also made noise last year. I recall him saying that the pass to deonte Thompson was “the worst play call you could ever do in that coverage.” Then made sure to absolve blame from Dak saying he doesn’t know if he’s allowed to change that call

Haimerej

Reaction score
Correct. 1 play after a win against a division rival to put us in the drivers seat for the NFC East crown. The fact that he went out of his way to verbally demonstrate his frustration (“this is ridiculous” “I was mad”, “Dak come on bro” with Dak telling gim to just run it”) is indicative of his feelings of the play calls after only being in the system for two months.

Why do you feel it's emblematic of all the playcalling? Also, do you think these kinds of frustrations aren't typical of every team?

Allen Hurns also made noise last year. I recall him saying that the pass to deonte Thompson was “the worst play call you could ever do in that coverage.” Then made sure to absolve blame from Dak saying he doesn’t know if he’s allowed to change that call

He apparently can change the calls, as evidenced by the Cooper situation you referenced. But I don't recall Hurns going there. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit- found it. He went on to say, "Everyone knows that's not a good play call versus two-man. So what's unfortunate for us is that was their only snap in two-man."

So basically the play was called and HOU did something they hadn't done all game. If anything, it was a good call by HOU and maybe something Dak should've recognized pre-snap. I wouldn't even say it was an indictment of the playcall moreso than just an observation.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
great that he both likes and wants to be here.
he and Dak are gonna be magic.
BIG THINGS!!!!!!
:starspin:Cowboys:starspin:

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Why do you feel it's emblematic of all the playcalling? Also, do you think these kinds of frustrations aren't typical of every team?

He apparently can change the calls, as evidenced by the Cooper situation you referenced. But I don't recall Hurns going there. I'll see if I can find it.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-play-call-you-can-make-against-that-coverage

He didn’t back down when they followed up with it after he made the comment.

And no it’s not typical of every team. The cowboys offense has been called out by everyone and only clowns (not you) on CZ seem to believe it’s just “disgruntled ex players” etc. it’s not hard to find anyone being critical of Garrett’s offense. Hell even Jason Witten made a comment during a Monday night game saying “this is what I used to hate in dallas” (referencing a formation or play call). It was something along those lines.

Hurns on if Dak should have audible: "I'm not sure, I don't think Dak had a chance or i'm not sure if he had the authority to check out of that. Like I said, as far as the other thing, that was their one snap in two man and everyone knows vs. two man you can't run deep sixes”

Everyone besides Linehan/Garrett :muttley:

Haimerej

Reaction score
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-play-call-you-can-make-against-that-coverage

He didn’t back down when they followed up with it after he made the comment.

And no it’s not typical of every team. The cowboys offense has been called out by everyone and only clowns (not you) on CZ seem to believe it’s just “disgruntled ex players” etc. it’s not hard to find anyone being critical of Garrett’s offense. Hell even Jason Witten made a comment during a Monday night game saying “this is what I used to hate in dallas” (referencing a formation or play call). It was something along those lines.

Hurns on if Dak should have audible: "I'm not sure, I don't think Dak had a chance or i'm not sure if he had the authority to check out of that. Like I said, as far as the other thing, that was their one snap in two man and everyone knows vs. two man you can't run deep sixes”

Everyone besides Linehan/Garrett :muttley:

You realize the plays are called prior to the defense lining up, right? I would assume it's up to the QB to make that recognition and change the play. Again- it was the only time the whole game they ran that coverage. Hard to hold a play caller accountable for that.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I hope so. I haven't been a cheerleader for Dak but I recently rewatched last season and have to admit he seemed to improve as it progressed. He appeared to get through reads quicker and be more decisive towards the end of the year.

Coincidentally around the time Moore started getting more hands on with the offense

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Did anyone think Kellen Moore being the new OC was going to drastically change the offense?

I think this is the kind of change that was needed. Did the whole playbook need to be scrapped? Or just some adjustments like the ones being described? This offense has been a top producer over the years.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
He's in a contract year. I don't expect him to say something nasty and be labeled as a troublemaker. Of course he's going to be nice. Its just the type of guy he is anyway. Nice and polite.

But him and Dak saying they can talk to Moore relate to Moore means a lot. So if guys start sitting on routes they can go to him and say we need to change this up, he'll listen. Which also makes it seem as if Linehan was stubborn. Wouldn't listen.

Wasn’t reported that he was stubborn and wouldn’t change things? Wasn’t that an issue and why Romo would change plays?

stiletto

Reaction score

Yeah Cooper is such a bad kid...that's obvious from everything he's done and said since joining the team....I hate him. Sorry but I want to hate EVERY player....

Techsass

Reaction score
I hope so. I haven't been a cheerleader for Dak but I recently rewatched last season and have to admit he seemed to improve as it progressed. He appeared to get through reads quicker and be more decisive towards the end of the year.
I think Dak had a pretty good QB coach last season. He impressed the upper floors enough that they decided to see if he could handle the OC job.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At this point in Cooper's career, he probably recognizes a workable thing when he sees it. Good to see. I'll be keeping tabs on what develops in terms of what this apparent "offensive recovery" involves and I'm betting that you very well might too. Is it somewhat encouraging? Seemingly so, since there's evidently a viable case to be made to think so. Let's simply sit back and just observe what else the oncoming weeks have to offer, shall we? So far, so good! ;)

Last edited: