Cooper Rush as a quality backup QB?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Ken Dorsey thinks you have incorrectly analyzed this matter.
yep, so the scouting report on Dak's are gospel. Thanks, I never thought you would admit to this.

Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

NFL COMPARISON
Brett Hundley

kskboys

Reaction score
yep, so the scouting report on Dak's are gospel. Thanks, I never thought you would admit to this.

Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

NFL COMPARISON
Brett Hundley
Me? I think you're thinking of the wrong poster. I've been lukewarm on Dak since the beginning. And I'm not understanding your change of topic here.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Me? I think you're thinking of the wrong poster. I've been lukewarm on Dak since the beginning. And I'm not understanding your change of topic here.
comprehension. you believe every scouting report is accurate, you throw them out like they are gospel.

*throws out the lollipop reference after reading a scouting report*

*waits on the snide remark, about not understanding football or scouting reports*

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Seeing Chiefs' backup QB Matt Moore subbing and delivering points in place of injured Mahomes, he's proving he can be a very reliable backup QB

If Dak Prescott himself were to be injured, and had to sidelined for just a few games (per concussion, bad ankle sprain, hamstring or bruised shoulder) and we needed backup Cooper Rush to sub and manage 3 games for wins – how confident are you in Cooper Rush that he could deliver us enough few wins to help us stay in playoff race, until Dak returns ?

Honestly, it has a lot to do with coaching. If Matt Moore was our backup and had to go in the Cowboys probably wouldnt win a game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Although I do not want to find out, I think at best Cooper Rush would be a bus driver. And since his downfield throws float so badly, I think we'd have major issues moving the ball as the opposing D would most likely stack the front.

It would be back to defenses daring us to beat them over the top. We at least do have a lot of speed and talent for it now.

Dak out, Rush in would be grim. Not hopeless but I would expect to lose except against the worst teams. At least we've got games against the Giants and Commanders left.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i worry with him because if he doesn't get the ball out quickly in his progression reads, it all breaks down for him and disaster will occur, his feet gets panicky, holding the ball for a sack, fumble, etc. i think he will try to get the ball downfield but it's gonna be an arc floating and lofting the ball so WRs can run under it. He cannot power the ball in tight passing lanes and deep seams. We'd have to work to his strengths and limited what he doesnt/cannot do.

For about half a preseason game Rush was looking pretty good. Decisive. As the game went on, he got slower, and the passes more risky.

I wonder, though. I think Dak's improvement on deep balls and his release are clear. Maybe he can point Rush in the right direction.

Whoever Dak worked with in the offseason is gold, and if it ain't Kitna, we should get him on staff too.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I think Cooper has done a complete 180. He was in a about to be cut funk cold spell...but I do feel ok now with him as our backup. Especially with the people we have in Kitna and Moore. Moore played with Rush...it’s as good a situation as we could ask of I’d think. But as to the point of question ...3-3 type starter seems fair. I know I’d rather watch a young Rush than watch a Cassel or Weeden stand there all day. That’s usually what we get ...a warm glass of milk with Geritol.

zerofill

Reaction score
A true quality backup is Bridgewater for the Saints or Tannehill for Tennessee. Rush isn't anywhere near that.

Bridgewater is the starter on a lot of other teams, for sure. He shouldn't be a backup.

I think his injury though, makes it a bit scary for any team to bet on him as a franchise QB.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Seeing Chiefs' backup QB Matt Moore subbing and delivering points in place of injured Mahomes, he's proving he can be a very reliable backup QB

If Dak Prescott himself were to be injured, and had to sidelined for just a few games (per concussion, bad ankle sprain, hamstring or bruised shoulder) and we needed backup Cooper Rush to sub and manage 3 games for wins – how confident are you in Cooper Rush that he could deliver us enough few wins to help us stay in playoff race, until Dak returns ?

I would expect to lose every game Dak misses...………….just like Romo in 2015.

csirl

Reaction score
We've a loaded offense. Can make any QB look ok. I dont think the drop off to Rush would be as big as people imagine......and not because Rush is any good.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak goes down, it would become a "Zeke run the ball" heavy offense. We aren't going to rely on Rush's arm to win games.