Cooper Rush as a quality backup QB?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
We honestly don't know how Cooper Rush would look in a game as we've never seen him have any meaningful play time. He should've closed out the game against the Dolphins. He could've also played against the Giants or Commanders as well. Why we refuse to take Prescott off the field in beyond me. If nothing else, it's leaving him open to injury during meaningless snaps. Let's see what we have in our backups so we might actually know what needs to happen there during the off-season.

It could just be that Prescott knows how much better they would look than him so he refuses to come off the field...:grin:

jaybird

Reaction score
Rush is awful and would be exposed badly in any real game.
If the team that played against the Eagles showed up he’d be ok?
If the team that played against the Jets showed up, he would fail badly.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't relish seeing Rush in anything more than spot action. He's improved considerably over what he was in his second year but he'd likely be exposed vs. a winning team as a starter for an injured Dak. He's quite accurate, given time, although, good arm strength isn't one of his strengths.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
Rush is awful and would be exposed badly in any real game.

On another far gone Forum,I remember people saying this about Romo when he was riding the pine behind Bledsoe. I cant comment for sure on the small sample preseason games we have seen him in. Unless he was to grow a mustache like Minshew,.....

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the Jerrah era Cowboys. We only plan for best case scenerios. Back-ups?! Don't need em.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On another far gone Forum,I remember people saying this about Romo when he was riding the pine behind Bledsoe. I cant comment for sure on the small sample preseason games we have seen him in. Unless he was to grow a mustache like Minshew,.....

Uh, Romo was the product of an excellent QB development program mentored by Sean Payton. Pretty sure nothing is going in Dallas at that level.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We honestly don't know how Cooper Rush would look in a game as we've never seen him have any meaningful play time. He should've closed out the game against the Dolphins. He could've also played against the Giants or Commanders as well. Why we refuse to take Prescott off the field in beyond me. If nothing else, it's leaving him open to injury during meaningless snaps. Let's see what we have in our backups so we might actually know what needs to happen there during the off-season.

It could just be that Prescott knows how much better they would look than him so he refuses to come off the field...:grin:
:hammer:
this has always baffled me..when we have a shot to play the backup even for affinal series in a game we have no chance of wining or have already won, we seem to leave Dak exposed and not give the backup game snaps..

I agree we wont know what Rush can do if hes not in real games in meaningful snaps with all the starters and game plan in play..

pancakeman

Reaction score
I do.

Can't teach arm strength.
This is a cliche that feels right, but honest question: why is it that we say of college QBs “you can’t teach arm strength” but we also say of promising college trench players “not strong enough yet but give him a year in NFL conditioning program...”?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If you had a coaching staff that would put games away & get the backups in you might have a better idea of what he can or can't do. Bottom line is no one really knows.

All the folks that trash backup QB's are always correct. They were all right about the Saints, Panthers, Giants, Jags being done for when their starters went down. Oh, not so much. Well, maybe there is a chance then.

Aven8

Reaction score
I was nervous against the Jets we were about to find out when Dak went into the tent.

erod

Reaction score
I'm going to just say it.......sometimes you say some silly Sht to be such a smart poster (lol).
And sometimes I say something provocative to elicit a response.

At his best, Moore is better than Dak.

But at his worst, which is too often, he's far worse than Dak.

Give me Dak.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seeing Chiefs' backup QB Matt Moore subbing and delivering points in place of injured Mahomes, he's proving he can be a very reliable backup QB

If Dak Prescott himself were to be injured, and had to sidelined for just a few games (per concussion, bad ankle sprain, hamstring or bruised shoulder) and we needed backup Cooper Rush to sub and manage 3 games for wins – how confident are you in Cooper Rush that he could deliver us enough few wins to help us stay in playoff race, until Dak returns ?
Matt Moore proved 10 years ago he was a quality backup QB. The Cowboys made a mistake letting him get away.

I'm a little unclear on Rush since he hasn't been put to the test in a real game situation. My belief is he will give us a chance to win as long as we aren't playing a top level team, but we can't know until the time comes.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

I've never understood this either. Get the dude in the game and let him get some snaps when the outcome has been determined.

Cmac

Reaction score
Can we simply let Cooper to continue bringing Coffee & Doughnuts to the QB meetings, please?