Cooper Rush should have played the 4th quarter

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Unless the game is close and the QBs bad 4th quarter contributes to a loss. Because I'm sure that if Dak played well for 3 quarters and yet bad in the 4th and the Cowboys loss, that his lack luster 4th quarter play would be all that his doubters focused on.
3 > 1

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
3 bad quarters— 1 good quarter etc... doesn’t matter.

All that matters is two things: 1. Did we win? Yes. An ugly W is better than a L.

2. What is his overall performance for the game?455 yards, 75% completion percentage, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, and a fumble is worth a 104 QBR. Anything above a 95 rating is a high quality start in the NFL.

It’s also worth noting that he was under pressure from a very talented and active front 7 all day long. Dak is the most sacked QB this year for two reasons: he holds the ball too long, and his pass protection is not very good.

“The Great Wall of Dallas” is a misnomer. We are absent one all pro all year, and the other two pro bowlers are playing hurt and gimpy all year. The pressure he has been under has definitely affected his performance— and not all of it is his fault

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Read it. Not what I said at all.
I admit it.

I stopped here.

Cooper Rush should have played the 4th quarter because this game should have been 35-3 by then.

The rest was a bunch of garbled thoughts that quite frankly required way more effort than I was willing to exert.

I admit it. I was too lazy to really read these uber important thoughts you decided to bait and switch with.

Many apologizes. I should have devoted much more time to try to figure out what you were trying to convey.

keysersoze

Reaction score
One, there is no such thing as luck. You prepare for the opportunity. If you do not play the lottery, you will never win. You prepare for the opportunity by buying a lottery ticket. There are odds but not luck.
Dak got the Cowboys in scoring position to win the game vs. Houston and the kicker missed the field goal, and did the same in the first Commanders game and the kicker missed the field goal. Those are opportunities to win. It is not bad luck. Dak gives the Cowboys the opportunities to win games.

Two, Your statement is correct regarding 4th quarter wins: "4th quarter heroic comebacks to win...which is something we do consistently." QBs that show this trait consistently and early in their careers have done very well when all the supporting cast finally arrives...Elway, Staubach (1975, 1976), Brady, Montana, Williams, Manning, etc. Somethings you can not coach is a winners will to win. Next year, he will have less turnovers, more larger point differential wins, and a better supporting cast. This is my next point.

Three, Jerry Jones made Dak Prescott play without a no.1 WR, no.1 TE, and the no. 1 C got hurt. Where was the strong supporting cast on offense. The Cowboys beat the defending Super Bowl Champions with Looney, Williams, and Sua Filo playing in the interior of the OL. He did those drives and big plays with those UDFA and rookie in front of him. When Dak got back a no.1 WR (previously Dez and TO for Romo), Dak started consistently winning. The only QB in Cowboys history to start season without the returning no.1 WR, no.1 TE and no.1 C was expansion Cowboys QB Eddie LeBaron. Do you know what that team's record was?

I agree that Dak does not and should not be throwing the ball +50 times in a game. Dak was given +50 opportunities to throw an intercept or fumble vs. the Eagles. But even with the dumb coaching of Garrett and Linehan, he won that game and has not had a losing season. In spite of Dumbo GM moves, and Dumber coaching, Dak has consistently found a way to win especially when you give him a little help. This is Dak Prescott's 3rd season. Staubach had not played a game (Naval commitment). Romo got to learn and be groomed on the bench (2003-2005). Aikman was worried that Jimmy Johnson was going to keep Steve Walsh or stay with Steve Beuerlien (1989-1991). Dak will get better. But you will not have to worry about him folding under pressure.

All Dak needs to do is "win...which is something we do consistently" with Dak at QB.
:clap:Excellent post! Unfortunately it won’t shut them up tho. They’re born and bred to hate. It’s a familial tradition.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I admit it.

I stopped here.

Cooper Rush should have played the 4th quarter because this game should have been 35-3 by then.

The rest was a bunch of garbled thoughts that quite frankly required way more effort than I was willing to exert.

I admit it. I was too lazy to really read these uber important thoughts you decided to bait and switch with.

Many apologizes. I should have devoted much more time to try to figure out what you were trying to convey.
Don’t apologize. That bs wasn’t worth reading anyway

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not only that, it's also the difficulty scoring points.

I mean, look at the Philly game. We had 38 min possession in regulation and scored 23 points....

The Saints game. If you defense holds the opposition to 10 points, you should be winning by double digits, minimum.
Same thing--barely won by 3 points.

yes, it's a win. yes, it's reason to celebrate. But if we play the Saints again in the playoffs it will be in the Super dome. And it will take a lot more than 13 points to beat them there. No doubt in my mind. We had trouble scoring against an Eagles defense that is *really* bad on the backside.

We won't have that luxury in the playoffs.
I agree with you. that's why I think Garrett is playing it smart this year. he is leaning on the defense and getting dak to manage the game, keep it close. I am also very concerned with the scoring outside of mid 4th quarter on, when somehow a light bulb goes on..... 10 points against the saints....and I expected to have had 24-48 points if we held the ball 34 minutes in the middle of 4th quarter....... we are squandering too many chances in the redzone and have to get turnovers under control....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No. Its not luck. He threw the ball to his best play making WR and his best play making WR made the play. His best play making WR made more than that play.

I know Dak is going to be better next year because he will have a no.1 WR, no. 1 TE, the OL will be back (may have change at LT), and Zeke will be back with him. Dak had talent all around him in 2016 and the element of surprise and delivered 13-3. In 2017, he did not have Zeke and Dez most of the Year but delivered 9-7. This year he has 2 more players than he had last year (Zeke and Cooper) and the Cowboys are one win from the playoffs. Give him more talent at TE, some more weapons at WR and a back up to Zeke, he will deliver wins.

Who does not know that the offense was not built around Zeke. The offense in the 90's was built around Emmitt. But Troy Aikman was the QB that could deliver on the opportunities to win. Aikman delivered on the opportunities to win championships. Romo could not deliver on his opportunities win big games to get close to a championship.

Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith had the same glaring stats of 100 yd games equal wins. But Danny White could not deliver on the opportunities with Dorsett in NFC Championship games. Staubach could deliver. Dak has that deliver the win trait.

The Cowboys 71 offense was not built around Staubach throwing the ball 50 times a game. It was built around Thomas, Hill, Garrison, and Doomsday. Staubach had to deliver on the opportunities to win.

Remember Dak is doing this with Linehan getting the ball inside the 10 yard line and forgeting that he has a RB with no. 21. He is doing this with a OC and HC that repeatedly throw the ball with their backs to the goal. Then there is the crazy reason they have not letting Dak run the ball to take pressure off himself and Zeke.

I wish that he did not turn the ball over and won the Eagles game by 20 points. However, I rather have the 6 point win to get the NFC East than the 8-8 Romo seasons where he could not deliver the opportunities to win. Dak's Cowboys finishing 13-3 NFC East Championship, 9-7, and 8-5 one win away from a NFC East Championship is not average results.

so in your opinion, when 999 out of a 100 times the ball doesn't bounce up and to the WR is a play that was made by them and not luck of the bounce..... OK, then..... go with that...

also in 2016, Dak was average as a QB.... you keep wanting to attribute all the wins to Dak without giving credit to the ones who really deserved it, Zeke and OL. without them Dak was ver very below average.... struggling to barley get over 100. without Zeke performing we end up losing more than winning. so why not give credit to Zeke for the wins and just Dak? Dak is a beneficiary of everyone around him. he doesn't elevate them. he goes along for the ride.

and lets not count our chickens until all the eggs hatch......we haven't played in a playoff game yet and the one playoff we lost at home, but I am sure it wasn't Dak's fault. it was the kicker, the coach, the WR, the RB, the OL, the defense, rowdy, the announcers and the vendors in the street..... not Dak for sure.

and you are trying to compare football from 4-5 decades ago to football today...totally different game then to now.... not even close.... so those comparisons are meaningless.

and here we go again with Dak lover fans...... bringing up Romo....Romo has been retired for 2 years....you got to let this inferiority complex go....its embarrassing.

keysersoze

Reaction score
3 bad quarters— 1 good quarter etc... doesn’t matter.

All that matters is two things: 1. Did we win? Yes. An ugly W is better than a L.

2. What is his overall performance for the game?455 yards, 75% completion percentage, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, and a fumble is worth a 104 QBR. Anything above a 95 rating is a high quality start in the NFL.

It’s also worth noting that he was under pressure from a very talented and active front 7 all day long. Dak is the most sacked QB this year for two reasons: he holds the ball too long, and his pass protection is not very good.

“The Great Wall of Dallas” is a misnomer. We are absent one all pro all year, and the other two pro bowlers are playing hurt and gimpy all year. The pressure he has been under has definitely affected his performance— and not all of it is his fault
:clap::clap::clap:

cowfan

Reaction score
Did you even watch Cooper Rush play in the preseason? There's room for criticism, but just plain silly posts are just sad.

keysersoze

Reaction score
so in your opinion, when 999 out of a 100 times the ball doesn't bounce up and to the WR is a play that was made by them and not luck of the bounce..... OK, then..... go with that...

also in 2016, Dak was average as a QB.... you keep wanting to attribute all the wins to Dak without giving credit to the ones who really deserved it, Zeke and OL. without them Dak was ver very below average.... struggling to barley get over 100. without Zeke performing we end up losing more than winning. so why not give credit to Zeke for the wins and just Dak? Dak is a beneficiary of everyone around him. he doesn't elevate them. he goes along for the ride.

and lets not count our chickens until all the eggs hatch......we haven't played in a playoff game yet and the one playoff we lost at home, but I am sure it wasn't Dak's fault. it was the kicker, the coach, the WR, the RB, the OL, the defense, rowdy, the announcers and the vendors in the street..... not Dak for sure.

and you are trying to compare football from 4-5 decades ago to football today...totally different game then to now.... not even close.... so those comparisons are meaningless.

and here we go again with Dak lover fans...... bringing up Romo....Romo has been retired for 2 years....you got to let this inferiority complex go....its embarrassing.
Would you just please shut up with this remedial bs? Regardless to Zeke and the Oline playing well, if Dak was as bad a quarterback as you Lames claim he is the 2016 season would’ve been 4-12. Not 13-3. No horrible quarterback can help his team amass such a regular season record. It’s a team sport and he did his job with the rest of the team. These bs statements weaken and expose your agenda. Please shut up and stop the bs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Would you just please shut up with this remedial bs? Regardless to Zeke and the Oline playing well, if Dak was as bad a quarterback as you Lames claim he is the 2016 season would’ve been 4-12. Not 13-3. No horrible quarterback can help his team amass such a regular season record. It’s a team sport and he did his job with the rest of the team. These bs statements weaken and expose your agenda. Please shut up and stop the bs.
I never said Dak was Horrible. I called him a good QB, not great QB. He does his part in the offense for the team to be successful. He is not asked to carry the team. Zeke is asked to carry the team. its no surprise that in the two years that Zeke has been the leading rusher in the league the team has found success. why are you bothered by that? why do you try to give all the credit to Dak? why is the Dak lover fans so bothered when people don't go gaga over Dak? no one has ever said, that Dak wasn't part of the success of the team, its just that Zeke is more important..... and I don't disagree with you. put Weeden in the 2016 team and we go 4-12. He was horrible.

and keep you yap closed and watch you mouth or I have to take out the big whopping stick to you rear son.... ow take Dak's poster off the ceiling from above your bed and put the Vaseline away for a few days, your man crush is very embarrassing.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
For three quarters, my section at the stadium was just shaking our heads in disgust and frustration.

Amari Cooper was wide open the entire football game. I mean WIDE OPEN all damn game long. He could have had 500 yards receiving by the end of the 3rd quarter. Even he was visibly frustrated at the lack of throws his way. The Philadelphia secondary is just putrid. They couldn't cover me.

Cooper Rush should have played the 4th quarter because this game should have been 35-3 by then. Dallas had all the possession, and the defense had the Philly offense tied in knots. Wentz looked bad, they couldn't run, first downs were incredibly hard to come by, and their defensive backfield was a makeshift band of gypsies.

It took a 62-yard field goal after a horribly mismanaged late drive in the half to be up a lousy 6-0. You have to try really, really hard not to be up three touchdowns in that game by halftime.

Dak throws a bad interception, followed by a an even worse interception, followed by a brainless fumble, followed by missed opportunity after missed opportunity....and suddenly, this thing is 9-9 only by the luck of a missed extra point.

"How is this possible?" we all stared at each other. "We should be in our cars headed home already."

Then, Dak drops a beautifully thrown ball to Cooper in the end zone, and it's back on track for the moment. However, he misses Gallup on two easy touchdowns running past the Eagles' jokesters for corners. He misses on a throw to Cooper, who fortunately adjusted on the ball for a 75-yard score as whoever "Bausby" is runs out of bounds. LOL, good corner you've got there, Philly!

Finally, after a nice drive in overtime, ping, pong, the game is over. Lucky touchdown, but the proper end to a nutty game. The Cowboys now have the awful NFC East pretty much on lockdown.

This game summed up Dak perfectly. Horrific interceptions, missed opportunities, bad fumbles, a few tremendous catches by receivers, and a few really well-thrown balls against a practice-squad combination of off-the-street defensive backs in a wild and woolly game. That's who we is.

My lone thought after that crazy game.....this is a Super Bowl roster that will have to drag this guy as far as they can take him.

Can a bus driver take a Ferrari to a Super Bowl this season? We'll see.
I love Dak.
Yet he is Steve Pelleur level.
$28 mill a year?
Um, no.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I never said Dak was Horrible. I called him a good QB, not great QB. He does his part in the offense for the team to be successful. He is not asked to carry the team. Zeke is asked to carry the team. its no surprise that in the two years that Zeke has been the leading rusher in the league the team has found success. why are you bothered by that? why do you try to give all the credit to Dak? why is the Dak lover fans so bothered when people don't go gaga over Dak? no one has ever said, that Dak wasn't part of the success of the team, its just that Zeke is more important..... and I don't disagree with you. put Weeden in the 2016 team and we go 4-12. He was horrible.

and keep you yap closed and watch you mouth or I have to take out the big whopping stick to you rear son.... ow take Dak's poster off the ceiling from above your bed and put the Vaseline away for a few days, your man crush is very embarrassing.
Grow up Little Boy. Being in full support of our quarterback and the team ain’t a man crush. It’s being a solid fan who has no bias. No predjudice and no agenda. Can you say the same?

Cmac

Reaction score
Cooper is auditioning for the QB Coaching position.....don't need to be out there.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I dont know about Cooper playing but I honestly think there really are about 15 back up QBs in this league that you could insert into this offense and they would perform like Dak.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that this is who Dak is.

He is the guy who cost us the Titans and first Skins game

He is the Qb who played very poorly against Washington and got bailed out by a Cooper RAC and one nice pass that resulted in a 90 yard TD by Cooper.

He is the QB who played great in the first half vs NO and followed it up with a pitiful 2nd half.

He is the guy who played awful for 3 qtrs to follow it up with a great 4th.

He is the guy who makes the plays necessary on 4th qtr drives.

He is what the detractors say he is ....
He is what the fans say he is...

He gives amunition for both every game.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

POST OF THE YEAR!

Hadenough

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that this is who Dak is.

He is the guy who cost us the Titans and first Skins game

He is the Qb who played very poorly against Washington and got bailed out by a Cooper RAC and one nice pass that resulted in a 90 yard TD by Cooper.

He is the QB who played great in the first half vs NO and followed it up with a pitiful 2nd half.

He is the guy who played awful for 3 qtrs to follow it up with a great 4th.

He is the guy who makes the plays necessary on 4th qtr drives.

He is what the detractors say he is ....
He is what the fans say he is...

He gives amunition for both every game.
You nailed it buddy!