1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Corona. What are you seeing?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by glimmerman, Mar 21, 2020.

1. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Making this thread for all of us to post what we see where we are at. We all live in different states or areas and even countries. So I thought we could share what we are seeing out there.

2. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    I am in Florida and our governor shut down the gyms and no more in dining or alcohol at restaurants. Anyways where I work is kind of a big strip mall with 2 restaurants and the anchor store is a big gym. Our parking lot is always full. And about a hour after the announcement was made they closed the gym and it was freaky to look out across the parking lot during the day and see it empty. Places going from thriving businesses to shut down.

Grenic likes this.
  3. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing Zone Supporter

6,582 Messages
    4,771 Likes Received
    I live in Colombia and they just passed a mandatory quarantine at the national level. Keep in mind that we only have 152 cases right now and 0 deaths.

From this Tuesday, only one person in your family can be designated to go out and buy food and not often (on Monday they will announce the full set of policies). Everyone else needs to be inside 24/7.

Even crazier, from Sunday night, the border is completely closed. That means air, sea and land - no one gets in - not even Colombian citizens.

Things have been relatively normal here - but with these new rules, I think reality is going to hit people hard here...

Kaiser and glimmerman like this.
  4. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Wow. That was what I wondered would happen here in the USA. Makes sense if only one person goes out then it limits people around each other. Only problem is if that family member catches it then they bring it home to there family.. Good luck and stay safe.

5. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Coming to work today. Of course all the stores are packed. The Walmart close to me had a huge line a hour before they opened. But our parking lots are ghost towns. Looks like in my county they are taking it more serious now. Then closed the beaches and got the kids off there.

Jake likes this.
  6. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

19,465 Messages
    36,346 Likes Received
    Ohio was one of the first states to start shutting things down, but other have since surpassed us. Pennsylvania shut down their state-run liquor stores. Living just a few miles from the border that means they're coming over to Ohio and raiding the one in my town. Ohio's are privately owned, mostly in supermarkets.

I have to work. Healthcare doesn't close during a pandemic. I have a lot of people working remotely, however. Using stuff like GoToMyPC for office staff to access their work computers from home, consultations and check ups being done by phone for less severe cases, and our school programs got shut down so those people have no work. We're still paying them, for now. Not sure how long we can keep doing that.

Of course the TP panic is here as well. I guess folks are planning to stay in their homes until 2024 or they've got the worst case of diarrhea in history. :rolleyes:

glimmerman likes this.
  7. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    It’s still a thing here also. Wife just left town and again no TP. I think now even if people have enough but are in the store and they see them stock it then they run over and get it anyways. It’s just rude at this point.

Jake likes this.
  8. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Mayors are pushing for our governor to make Florida mandatory like some of the other states. Only go out for food and medicine.

9. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

19,922 Messages
    22,093 Likes Received
    Small town here.

Not too bad yet. Went to both Walmart and HEB yesterday and it wasn't hectic, no lines. Both closed down around 8 or 9, I think. My sister said Wally closed at 830

glimmerman likes this.
  10. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Yeah stores are shortening there hours here. Lots of old peeps in Florida and they aren’t heeding the warnings. They are getting there provisions. Stores are totally packed. Lol. I am braving the liquor store after work.

11. Tussinman

Tussinman Well-Known Member

1,456 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    I live the very first city that's north of Dallas (Richardson). Pretty much every city/government is shut down, any major form of entertainment is shut down since there usually high traffic, and resteraunts our take out only. I"ve only been going to the store really late at night so it's always fine when I go

Since there's not really anything open to do most people are just sitting in there houses or going for walks around the neighbhorhood. Really the only lesiure activity still open is a couple nearby golf courses that have some restrictions

Both my parents still employed. Of us kids only 1 out of 5 employed. One of the kids the hushband still works luckily since his job is always work from home.

Mom has worked in the ICU unit for 40 years so I get updates through her. She's a good benchmark of whats going down (if patients start overflowing into her unit then where screwed).

glimmerman likes this.
  12. TheHerd

TheHerd Well-Known Member

6,460 Messages
    7,465 Likes Received
    North Carolina Beach town. The beaches are basically closed, no public access.
    Restaurants are only takeout. Bars, clubs, socializing spots closed. Costco only letting 100 people in the store at a time. Grocery stores are light on meat but we have toilet paper!

Public parks are open, and lots of people are out but keeping separated.

The elderly housing community my mother in law lives at is totally quarantined. No one in or out without a serious reason.

Most folks (my company included) are wfh.

glimmerman likes this.
  13. RodeoJake

RodeoJake Well-Known Member

2,548 Messages
    4,196 Likes Received
    I'm in Oklahoma. Even though we only have around 20 confirmed cases state wide, we're in a quarantine situation. Some people are hoarding out of panic and a few horrible examples of humanity are trying to profit from it.

Most are taking the threat seriously. Sadly, we also have those who aren't. Some are even throwing parties. As someone they say is at a high risk, I'm taking it very seriously.

It ain't easy being isolated alone on the farm, but I'm dealing with it. I've been talking to my livestock more these days. So far they haven't learned speak my language.

Hadenough, CF74, Jake and 3 others like this.
  14. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    What the word she is giving you right now..

15. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    About the same here. My boss ain’t closing the shop unless they make it mandatory. If they do then we are going to spring clean and shut down to the public.

TheHerd likes this.
  16. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    If they start talking back to you then seek help. Sounds like you will have meats if you raise live stock so that’s good. We also have the major hoarding problem. People have more than enough TP but for some reason they will buy more if they see it.

17. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

3,687 Messages
    2,566 Likes Received
    Vermont got ahead of this it seems compared to other areas. A state of emergency was declared a week ago yesterday. At the time the confirmed cases count was under ten with no deaths. Even before the SoM was declared many of the ski resorts shut down, all sports were shut down, restaurants and bars closed with food available as take out only, the next day the Governor issued an order allowing alcohol to be included in takeout :). Group size restrictions went from 250 to 50 to, just this morning 10. Also this morning, businesses that cannot avoid close personal contact, salons, barbers, gyms, spas etc were ordered closed. The gyms in my vicinity had already shut down. A large chain of convenience stores announced they would not accept cash, CC and DC transactions only. The TP situation has been the same as everywhere else. We are near the Canadian border so the border closing is affecting many.

The response from the residents in my area has been phenomenal. People are taking this seriously and are generally following the recommendations. People are going out of their way to help and support those that need it. The compassion being shown by so many despite their own fear and anxiety is special.

Personally, we are fine. We are rural with a chunk of land and more than enough to do to keep busy indoors or out. Being "stuck" at home is a vacation to me.

CF74, Jarv and glimmerman like this.
  18. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Glad to hear your doing well. And especially glad to hear the people around you are being kind and helping. I am seeing some rudeness but people in general are keeping to themselves.

Vtwin likes this.
  19. ultron

ultron Well-Known Member

3,009 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    I live in Virginia. Apparently you can’t catch this virus at the grocery store because that’s where everyone’s at!

20. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Lmao. Same here. People actually lining up outside before they store opens. These locals have to be stocked up by now.

ultron likes this.