1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Corona. What are you seeing?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by glimmerman, Mar 21, 2020.

1. csirl

csirl Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    2,431 Likes Received
    I live in Ireland.

785 cases up to today. Two encouraging things:

1. Only 3 deaths - % way lower than other countries.

2. There's been a drop in the number of cases the past 2 days.

Social distancing measures started over a week ago. All schools, bars, events closed down. Most shops closed down. 400,000 people out of work in retail & hospitality sectors.

Our Taoiseach (Prime Minister) addresses the nation earlier this week - has seemed to have had a big impact on peoples preparedness.

The was a big run on food shops a few days ago, but the big stores have responded well and restocked quickly. Fortunate that the big chains had decided to build up 4 months extra supply of goods in storage over recent months in case of disruption caused by our near neighbours brexit issues (most goods entering Ireland from mainland Europe transit through UK).

2. stiletto

stiletto Well-Known Member

4,666 Messages
    5,639 Likes Received
    I'm in the DMV area (DC/Maryland/VA). Most government related work is being done at home via telework. I work for a large government agency but we have to go to the office 1x a week but it is a skeleton crew in a Data Center type environment. One employee tested positive for Covid-19 at our HQ down in Arlington. They shut the whole floor to sterilize it. Thankful to be able to work though. There are 9 cases of Covid-19 as of today in my county (Loudoun, VA). Most people are generally hunkered down now but I see too many people going to Grocery stores. I try to go late at night when everyone is finally home. Max 1x a week. ABC stores are still open thankfully....

3. Asklesko

Asklesko Well-Known Member

2,891 Messages
    2,184 Likes Received
    The gentleman's club down the street from me was open and packed just a few days ago. Now it's closed, and the billboard that said "We're open" is now blank. :(

CF74, glimmerman and JoeyBoy718 like this.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

11,175 Messages
    10,620 Likes Received
    I live in Seattle. We were the first seriously affected area in the country. Seattle isn't testing much so the number of confirmed cases isn't growing like NY is, but we still have the most deaths in the country. We were a bit slow to react compared to other states, but we've been following after other states. Here are just a few things that come to mind:

- Most restaurants are open but you can only take out or call for delivery.
    - Supermarkets are open but some have shorter hours and designated hours for elderly.
    - All gyms have closed, as well as schools K-12, and daycares have closed just yesterday.
    - Parks and outdoor areas are packed with people (the weather has been great, by the way).
    - A lot of people are cautious (wearing gloves at supermarket, some wearing masks, just a general look of paranoia).
    - We haven't had an official lockdown yet so there are still people walking around.
    - I see a lot of old people walking around and enjoying the sunshine.
    - It's very difficult to get a test. People are advised to stay home if they're feeling sick.

glimmerman likes this.
  5. JoeyBoy718

11,175 Messages
    10,620 Likes Received
    I thought you were talking about South Carolina for a second. That would've been surprising.

glimmerman likes this.
  6. JoeyBoy718

11,175 Messages
    10,620 Likes Received
    And you should go when it's packed. And touch all the toilet paper. That'll keep you safe.

glimmerman likes this.
  7. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

3,995 Messages
    6,439 Likes Received
    South eastern PA.

You can get groceries, gas, and go to the hospital. Virtually everything else is shut down. Some food places offering take out.

8. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

7,286 Messages
    11,795 Likes Received
    I am in NY. Non essential employees are asked to work from home. Restaurants, bars, gyms, retail busineses all closed. Some restaurants are allowed to stay open but take out only. Most businesses that are open are cash less only. Supermarkets are sparse. Zero toilet paper, cleaning items, paper towels, OTC cold remedies to be had. Food stocks are about 50 pct. They closed the damn golf courses down on Friday. Weather has been great so that really sucks. Fishing season starts in a couple weeks. They’ll probably try to close that down too just to really piss people off.

This is a pimple compared to H1N1 at this point yet the response has been ridiculous. It doesn’t add up...

CF74 and glimmerman like this.
  9. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

7,286 Messages
    11,795 Likes Received
    Can’t make death predictions?

I am going to break the rules and predict the Cowboys will kill the Giants this upcoming season. Twice.

10. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

6,144 Messages
    5,402 Likes Received
    I won't know until Monday when I leave for work. But a lot of stuff is shut down here in NJ. I'm interested to see what the traffic looks like Monday morning. It was at around 50% late last week.

glimmerman likes this.
  11. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Ireland. That’s awesome. Do you all have a Walmart there.

12. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Stay healthy.

13. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    That sucks.

Asklesko likes this.
  14. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Same here in Florida. Take care.

JoeyBoy718 likes this.
  15. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Try to score TP. I still don’t understand why it’s so hard to get. I know when this is over I will keep a month worth.

Whyjerry likes this.
  16. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Our roads are still busy. Likely people looking for TP.

Luther and Whyjerry like this.
  17. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

6,144 Messages
    5,402 Likes Received
    Keep in mind that 50% traffic in NJ is like 10 times the traffic in most other states.

glimmerman and T-RO like this.
  18. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Our larger towns like Orlando and Tampa are busy. But I get what your saying.

19. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

29,068 Messages
    17,100 Likes Received
    Central Texas
    Fortunately I anticipated the pandemic and stocked up before. I haven’t had to go to grocery store in a couple weeks. Both HEB and Walmart have reduced their hours( no longer 24-7). Customers begun lining up outside an hour or two before they open and are wiped out of major sought after items first couple hours. They have had to limit the number of patrons at a time. Security is controlling it. We will begin using their delivery service and or drive up service when our supplies begin running low. Dollar stores appear to be a good alternative for some supplies.

State wide close down of all bars, restaurants and schools. My mother in assisted living has been totally shut down. I can only drop off supplies at front door and limited to phone calls only. That’s been the toughest sacrifice thus far for me besides not going to the gym or golf course.

I’ve gotten out to drive around and survey the area with occasional take out and it appears still too many people are out. Many retail operations still open. Drive thru restaurants and take out still available. Not a significant downturn in traffic besides school zones.

My wife is still driving into work as she can isolate herself in office and has shortened her days. She realizes eventually will probably shut down as well which is where we all are probably headed at some point. I’d say the voluntary stay at home isn’t working here. The virus becoming community spread and numbers rising.

Air Force One and glimmerman like this.
  20. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

29,068 Messages
    17,100 Likes Received
    At some point the decision will have to be made whether saving livelihood is a bigger priority. This is probably going on for months. At least well into the summer or fall. American economy can not withstand everyone sitting home for 6 months. We would go into a major depression.

Lets hope these efforts flatten the curve now with warmer weather helping flush it out. And we can develop some medications or current ones aiding in relief. But I’d recommend total shutdown throughout for a few weeks before it gets out of control all over.

At some point we’ll have to open it back up. Maybe everyone will have to wear mask, etc in public. The livelihoods of the many will have to outweigh the health of the few at some point.

I applaud the sacrifices we’ve seen thus far. Those that can stay at home appear to be at least trying to limit their activity. Unfortunately there’s a segment more irresponsible but not surprised. They feel invincible and not as concerned with others. There’s also a segment attempting to play the pandemic down and or change the narrative.

Eventually the more vulnerable may have to hunker down on their own ( as most are doing now) isolating themselves for an extended time while the younger and healthier take their chances to preserve the economy for the good of the country or world. Very tough balance between saving lives and our livelihoods. Gods speed everyone!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020