1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Corona. What are you seeing?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by glimmerman, Mar 21, 2020.

1. csirl

csirl Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    2,431 Likes Received
    We have a load of Tesco Extra stores that are similar in size and have similar inhabitants to Walmart.

Also Dunnes Stores in Ireland is owned by the same company as Walmart.

glimmerman likes this.
  2. 3rd_n_inches

3rd_n_inches Well-Known Member

2,189 Messages
    2,111 Likes Received
    I work in a weapon manufacturing distribution facility and the amount business has probably quadrupled since the virus and rules following it. Pretty surreal to see from a psychological perspective. I would think shutting this place down would be a violation of the 2nd amendment to some degree but that could have an argument either way.

as someone finishing up his degree in cellular/molecular Biology I am watching how long it takes the world to develop a vaccine.

SlammedZero, CF74, T-RO and 3 others like this.
  3. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

15,096 Messages
    23,983 Likes Received
    Since I'm in a very high risk category with two of the highest risks I rarely even open the door right now so I don't see much other than checking the mail or going to the grocery store.

glimmerman and Diehardblues like this.
  4. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

19,465 Messages
    36,344 Likes Received
    I went for an hour walk and noticed plenty of folks having Sunday gatherings in their homes.

Apparently you can only pass the virus among strangers. If you know them, you're safe. :rolleyes:

T-RO, Air Force One and glimmerman like this.
  5. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

2,932 Messages
    1,192 Likes Received
    No cases in my county yet in indiana. I don't go out much anyway but it seems like business as usual for most people.

Wal-Mart grocery area looked like a going out of business sale in some areas. Had to go to another store for some things I couldn't find. Overheard an employee having a conversation with someone. They had been talking when I got there. I happened to be near when the employee said they can't get toilet paper, and when they do it's gone in seconds.

The idea of social distancing was not being employed very much. People just congregated in aisles blocking my way to what I need. Like someone else here said I was doing defensive social distancing. But I was doing that before this pandemic. Why I shop at 9am on Sundays.

glimmerman likes this.
  6. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,051 Messages
    22,713 Likes Received
    Lots of foot traffic in Hollywood today :facepalm:

7. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Watch the grocery store. But all you can get. And be careful. Can’t afford to have you catch this stuff. I like reading your posts.

Luther and 3rd_n_inches like this.
  8. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Lol. Yeah if I know you then you are kool and can’t have it...

9. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

19,465 Messages
    36,344 Likes Received
    The TP thing is strange. We'll have people on the verge of starvation with a basement full of toilet paper.

CF74 likes this.
  10. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Will start trading a pack of ramen noodles for a roll of TP. Lol

Jake likes this.
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

15,638 Messages
    9,414 Likes Received
    Central Valley California and we arent seeing alot. Minimal cases but mass ignorance in hoarding toilet paper, water, and disinfectants.

glimmerman likes this.
  12. stiletto

stiletto Well-Known Member

4,666 Messages
    5,639 Likes Received
    You should get delivery of your groceries. Grocery stores are the worst place to go when there are disease outbreaks.. Wear a mask and gloves if you do go since you are in the "very high" risk range. It's ok to be a little paranoid about this.

cowboy_ron likes this.
  13. stiletto

4,666 Messages
    5,639 Likes Received
    It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen...

14. glimmerman

17,523 Messages
    18,289 Likes Received
    Lol. This hoarding of the TP is killing me...

Creeper likes this.
  15. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

2,288 Messages
    3,100 Likes Received
    I live in Northern NJ. The governor shut everything down last night except for medical facilities, drug stores and grocery stores. We've been ordered to say home if we are not providing an essential service. I got an email from my dentist that he is closing his office down for a month. Patients can call if its an emergency. Restaurants can open for take out service and many of the places I see have sign that all take out is curbside pickup only. A lot of people who live where I do work in NYC, which was a bit late to shut schools and businesses. Many companies went to split workforce programs where half the workforce worked from home and the other half went into the office. The two halves rotated every two weeks. In any case, NYC is a hot zone right now.

One mildly humorous anecdote, in NJ we cannot pump our own gas, Only an attendant can pump gas. So when you pull up to a pump you open your window and an attendant will ask what you want, then he will pump your gas. When he's done he takes your money. I got gas Saturday and when I pulled up, the guys asked what I needed standing about 10 feet away! LOL. Never saw that before in mot 60 years living in this state. I wonder if when this is over, people are going to be more distant like that?

Anyway, last time I went to the grocery store was Friday. No TP or any paper products of any kind. Its been 2 weeks since I have seen TP or paper towels in our stores.

Air Force One and stiletto like this.
  16. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

2,288 Messages
    3,100 Likes Received
    Supposedly it started on a rumor that our TP is manufactured in China. This is false. 90% of the toilet paper sold in the US is manufactured in the US. Japan was hoarding TP first I read but they get 100% of their TP from China. Maybe it stemmed from their. People need to stop getting their "facts" from social media.

17. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

15,096 Messages
    23,983 Likes Received
    I agree stilletto and I thank you for your input. I live in a small town close to Tyler. There are two grocery stores here but neither offer delivery but they do have curbside pick up. The problem with that is they are out of so much product and the pick up day is 4 days out so there's no way of knowing what they even have with people panic buying.

18. stiletto

4,666 Messages
    5,639 Likes Received
    Did you check instacart.com? They have people that will go to any store usually. Might want to check it out.

cowboy_ron likes this.
  19. nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy Well-Known Member

3,210 Messages
    3,103 Likes Received
    We NYers dont scare easily but this got me real concerned for my parents who are 98 and 91 years old, I also got a Brother and Brother-in-law who are 72 and a sister thats 70.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
  20. nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy Well-Known Member

3,210 Messages
    3,103 Likes Received
    Haven't watched him much to tell you the truth, but I hope you right.
    I know you got some issues - I wish you well - hang in there.

cowboy_ron likes this.