Could Brady retire, get in Hall of Fame then come back and play

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Tom Brady will obviously be first ballot hall of famer….

Is it possible he could retire, get into the Hall of Fame….than come back as a player?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Not likely. He has to wait 5 years to get in. He'd be 50. Joe Gibbs did come back to coach after he was in so it has happened with coaches.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Age was definitely catching up with him this year; it was obvious.

So coming back in five years? What a joke.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Age was definitely catching up with him this year; it was obvious.

So coming back in five years? What a joke.
Nothing showed physically that he didn't have it. Being out of football for 6 years will certainly cause rust though. But Brady's biggest issue this year was having an awful HC.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I believe he would only have to wait 5 years to be eligible for the HOF if he signed with a team prior to being enshrined. I'm not aware of any stipulation to sign with team after being inducted.

jsb357

Reaction score
Brady always said "when I suck, I'll retire"

after losing to Dallas in the playoffs, Brady realized that it was time to retire.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Nothing showed physically that he didn't have it. Being out of football for 6 years will certainly cause rust though. But Brady's biggest issue this year was having an awful HC.
then you were not watching. His deep ball is slower and less accurate; and the times he needed to zing it he was straining. His arm is beginning to go. Its not what it was even 5 years ago

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Tom Brady will obviously be first ballot hall of famer….

Is it possible he could retire, get into the Hall of Fame….than come back as a player?
Sure, anything's possible. It would be a publicity stunt.

Charlie Finley signed a 59-year-old Satchel Paige to pitch one game for the Athletics in 1965 (he threw three scoreless innings).

In baseball anyway, there seems to be a wall at age 50. Other than Paige and a similar publicity stunt with Minnie Minoso, nobody born in the 20th century has played in the majors after 50. Jamie Moyer, Hoyt Wilhelm and Julio Franco all played until they were 49.