Could Chris Jones be a Surprise Cut?

jujoboys

Reaction score
In the preseason so far Kasey Redfern has punted the ball 9 times for a 48.4 yard average compared to Chris Jones 4 punts for 46.7 yard average. Jones is scheduled to count $2.3 million against the cap in 2019, $2.4 million in 2020, and $2.5 million in 2021. Redfern would count $495 K against the cap in 2019 and $585 K against the cap in 2020. Redfern could also kick field goals if our guy Maher started struggling.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good observation. And some have question Jones over the past few years on here as his punting seems to have been going down. I have not, nor has anyone, that I seen posted any stats to prove that yet.

However, can Redfern do what Jones can do and run or pass for 1st downs on fake punts? :grin:
Is the cost savings worth it for a few times a year. :laugh:

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
In the preseason so far Kasey Redfern has punted the ball 9 times for a 48.4 yard average compared to Chris Jones 4 punts for 46.7 yard average. Jones is scheduled to count $2.3 million against the cap in 2019, $2.4 million in 2020, and $2.5 million in 2021. Redfern would count $495 K against the cap in 2019 and $585 K against the cap in 2020. Redfern could also kick field goals if our guy Maher started struggling.

I hope they cut Chris Jones . Need cap space .

ShiningStar

Reaction score
we need "steak" at every lever, or pudding, doesnt have to be good, but if if the cowboys save a few bucks, than its worth it.

sigh. leave the punter ad the long snapper alone. people going to be tripping over him soon and hes the best in the biz.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
There's more to it than punting average. What's the net average for both? Who's better at downing inside the 20? Who's best at directional punting? I'm not pulling for one over the other. Personally, punter is one of my least concerns. If all things are equal, go with the cheapest leg, but don't bet on him taking over for Maher if he starts missing again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not sure if he's done enough to get cut honestly. He also offers few gadget plays in special teams which we may never use but you never know.

slick325

Reaction score
Isn't he the holder on FGs and PATs? Maher is a mystery in and of himself, add in having a new holder and kicks will be the greatest adventure of a lifetime for the team and fans!

Plankton

Reaction score
Here would be the telltale sign that this would be a possibility - if someone else holds on a FG or conversion attempt. I don't recall that happening so far in the two preseason games played. If someone else that would be on the roster holds, then Jones would be on the radar as someone who could get cut. If no one else holds, he isn't going anywhere.

reddyuta

Reaction score
they should absolutely cut him,paying so much for a punter who is not even top 10 is ridiculous.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
its surprising tho, 7.2M for the next 3 years, for this old punter ?

johnnie-walker-blue-label-ghost-and-rare.jpg

erod

Reaction score
Punt distance average is a ridiculous way to judge a punter.

Good teams don't have to punt from their own 20 yard line all the time. They're trying to pin teams deep inside their 20 with accuracy, not distance.

A 37-yard punt inside the 10 yard line is what defines punters in the NFL.

Chris Jones is damn good at it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

I missed that fast forwarding through punts and kicks all PS lol

good call thats an easy save for the cap..and if this other punter can kick in emergencys we wont be subjected to Heath kicking fgs LOL:muttley: