Could Chris Jones be a Surprise Cut?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Isn't he the holder on FGs and PATs? Maher is a mystery in and of himself, add in having a new holder and kicks will be the greatest adventure of a lifetime for the team and fans!
Adventure is not the word I would use for that.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Good observation. And some have question Jones over the past few years on here as his punting seems to have been going down. I have not, nor has anyone, that I seen posted any stats to prove that yet.

However, can Redfern do what Jones can do and run or pass for 1st downs on fake punts? :grin:
Is the cost savings worth it for a few times a year. :laugh:
Jones has wheels and can flat tackle. Oh, and he also punts the ball. I say keep him.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Don't think Chris Jones is getting cut, he's the holder on field goals, he's left footed which makes the spin on the ball harder to catch and with his ability to deaden the ball inside the ten yard line, I'd be surprrsed if he's cut....

Maher on the other hand, is a disaster in the making!

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Can Redfern do this? Can anybody do this? Chris Jones' initials backwards are JC. Coincidence?

Chuck Norris writes Chris Jones memes.....

Dude's a triple threat. That's only $600K/per ...

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Probably. Wouldn't be surprised if they finally let LP go as well. They want to save as much money as possible by going cheap on special teams
LP isn't going anywhere
His flawless snap history has value .

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There's more to it than punting average. What's the net average for both? Who's better at downing inside the 20? Who's best at directional punting? I'm not pulling for one over the other. Personally, punter is one of my least concerns. If all things are equal, go with the cheapest leg, but don't bet on him taking over for Maher if he starts missing again.

In the LA game, four of Redfern's five punts were downed inside the 20. Jones had 1 of 3. I also paid close attention to the punts because the idea of Redfern replacing Jones already has been discussed by some of us (along with the possibility of using Redfern on the short field goals), and at least a couple of those punts that were downed were directional punts to the sideline. Both Jones and Redfern had 60-yarders kicked down the center of the field.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
In the LA games, four of Redfern's five punts were downed inside the 20. Jones had 1 of 3. I also paid close attention to the punts because the idea of Redfern replacing Jones already has been discussed by some of us (along with the possibility of using Redfern on the short field goals), and at least a couple of those punts that were downed were directional punts to the sideline. Both Jones and Redfern had 60-yarders kicked down the center of the field.

Redfern is becoming an interestingly cheap option .

gimmesix

Reaction score
Here would be the telltale sign that this would be a possibility - if someone else holds on a FG or conversion attempt. I don't recall that happening so far in the two preseason games played. If someone else that would be on the roster holds, then Jones would be on the radar as someone who could get cut. If no one else holds, he isn't going anywhere.

That would probably be the top concern with cutting Jones. That along with his ability to run like a boss on fake punts and even deliver a shot on coverage.

John813

Reaction score
they should absolutely cut him,paying so much for a punter who is not even top 10 is ridiculous.

His average cap hit is 13th in the league.

His 2019 salary is 12th for punters.

Hey, if they can find an improvement there for cheaper, I'm all for it, but he's not paid like an elite(lol) punter.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Can Redfern do this? Can anybody do this? Chris Jones' initials backwards are JC. Coincidence?

Considering the helmet-to-helmet contact, the hit would likely be called a penalty now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I remember on Inside the NFL. They showed a clip of 2 Eagles on the sideline joking as if they stopped them and had the game won. In the back ground you seen Jones run by and get the 1st down. They were oblivious to what was going on.
Once they found out, the look on their faces was like...oh we just crapped in our pants...

I am sure there is a clip of it out there, I seen it out there somewhere.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
A 37-yard punt inside the 10 yard line is what defines punters in the NFL.

Chris Jones is damn good at it.

He only had 17 punts inside the 20 last year. Tied for 28th out of 38 punters. (though, no data on where the punts originated from).

By every metric they track, he was average to below average.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Yeah, Jones has had good years, but last year wasn't one of them.

Is anybody else holding in practice?

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Considering the helmet-to-helmet contact, the hit would likely be called a penalty now.

I know, right? Since it was Chris Jones, they would have called it against the Lions and pushed them back another 15 yards.

morat1959

Reaction score
In the preseason so far Kasey Redfern has punted the ball 9 times for a 48.4 yard average compared to Chris Jones 4 punts for 46.7 yard average. Jones is scheduled to count $2.3 million against the cap in 2019, $2.4 million in 2020, and $2.5 million in 2021. Redfern would count $495 K against the cap in 2019 and $585 K against the cap in 2020. Redfern could also kick field goals if our guy Maher started struggling.
Would this help with Heath getting cut since he’s our back-up kicker? If so, I’m all in !

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Sorry *** fans want players to abide by their contracts and want the front office to break the contract of a guy who always plays well just to save a few bucks.